81 Datsun Sunny have a coolant leak can someone help

mahi2010bv

I'm in need of help! I recently purchased a 1981 Datsun 210 and just today it overheated on me. when I went back to put inantifreeze thinking thats all it could be i found a hole behind the water pump. I'm worried as I'm not sure if this is on the block and if its even something that can be fixed. Can some one please help me as I know very little about mechanics

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/ ... d1d34cc8de

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Water pumps have a weeping hole on the underside.  to drain a failed seal. This allow time for the owner to discover it that the water getting into the bearing and seizing suddenly and without warning. The water might be blown back by the fan and look like its behind the pump. A new pump will fix this.

Possibly the water pump gasket has failed?

Maybe post a picture of said hole???

Yes there appears to be a timing chain cover the water pump bolts to. You'll need a new one or maybe that one can be welded up. Is it possible that this motor froze last winter? This could crack a piece off.

As far as I know the motor did not freeze, I'm currently in Puerto Rico so I'm going to say no. The guy I bought the car from said he used it to go to school and back which was all on flat land. I have used the car to go up hills where my school is located not sure if that makes any difference. I'm not sure if this helps, My girlfriend was driving the car last week and the battery moved on her was torn up a bit by the alternator which had some battery acid that got everywhere. remounted the battery and cleaned the acid with cleaner the best I could, which the modulator had gone out and had to be replaced.  

If your timing cover is broken- you would have coolant in your oil, which you have not mentioned you had, so I will rule that one out.  I would agree with the other fellas that changing the water pump and gasket should do the trick.  BUT, inspect the area after removing the pump- it would not hurt to check for other cracks on the actual timing cover.

I checked the dipstick and didn't see any coolant or water so I hope that's a good sign. I'm going to have to some how take it to a mechanic since I don't have any tools here to complete the job myself. I'm hoping it is fixable as I really do need the car back. 

Now question which im probably going to sound dumb.. That part behind the water pump can that be taken off and a new one bought or is that going to have to be welded? 

You would only get water in the oil if the break were in the pump cavity directly behind the pump and maybe not even then. You sure would with an L series as the timing cover opens directly into the crank case.. 

You would only get water in the oil if the break were in the pump cavity directly behind the pump and maybe not even then. You sure would with an L series as the timing cover opens directly into the crank case.. 

Oops!  I, guess that is what I was recalling, lol.  Thanks Mike!

the timing cover can be replaced if you can find one otherwise it could be welded 

these motors and cars are popular in puerto rico so you might be in luck