PCV plugged. Help.

Krispi

Hey folks,

I just purchased a 1976 Datsun 620 Pickup and I haven't been able to get it running well. It's started and idled twice but really roughly. My buddy has been helping me work on it.

We have changed the carb and exhaust manifold and noticed the pcv is plugged and don't know what to do. It is the L20B motor.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its plugged as in there's a plug in it.

Dude must have ran it like this a while it seems so I'm thinking what kinda condition the the inside is In.

Also oil pump spindle is not at 11:23, cam lubes don't look to be at 11 and 2. 11 right?

So I'm thinking it was built wrong.

Well yeah, for sure get a hose and unplug.

What kinda damage would it do being plugged?

The truck was parked a year ago I guess after P.o thought the truck had carb issues.

He'd had it rebuilt some time before he parked it.. Right Chris?

More back story for us. I guess I'll drop a picture in here for you but you'll have to get on a build thread or some where else.

PICS!!!

The engine oil will get dirty and /or contaminated with water and combustion by products sooner without the PCV valve. If the oil is kept clean by changing more often no problem. Having a functioning PCV is always a good idea.

The oil pump/distributor drive spindle can be in any position that will allow the motor to run. Generally we like to say 11:28 so that everyone is on the same page and the rotor is pointing more or less in the same direction for everyone. It's just easier this way. It would also run at the three other 90 degree positions if you switched the plug wires around, probably even more.

Two years plugged is ok. Get it back working correctly and change the oil (and always the filter too) but not a fram.

Go back to basics. Pull the plugs and clean or replace. Set to tdc on cyl 1 and check timing. If you are unsure go to youtube and search hainz made an excellent step by step video. While you are in there set your valves. Check the dizzy cap for corrosion and wear. If bad replace it. Do you have points? If so check and set them. Now make sure you have fresh gas in it. It should fire up. After you have checked those things report back. Do you have a repair manual?

Ha!

I just got back from his truck..

Cleaned plugs, fixed oil pump, 'hooked him up with a new one for now' ;) drive sits at 11:28.

Nice clean oil is in it, wires hooked up

Fuel return line hooked up. Only think I didn't do it touch the points.

Cleaned the dirt off negative cable on the block/head area.

Cam lobes looked to be at 10 and 2. To me anyway. I'll take a picture in a half an hour or so. Might even have a 620 ign so I can take his truck for a spin if she starts! :) :)

Haven't touched the truck for a few days. No real time.

But in the mean time of not touching the truck I was able to find him a matchbox to use. Hoping its a working one 'don't know why it wouldn't be' so that we can get it started after work.

Flatcat had a Z matchbox and I've got a pedastal that can be used. We'll hook it up, make sure the coil wires are where they should be.

Is the dizzy wired correctly?

EIwiringtocoil.jpg

I bought a car that no one could get started, I almost gave up also, it wouldn't even hit, turned out that someone had wired the dist. wrong, they had put the power to post "C" instead of "B", it was wired backwards, once I figured that out, it started right up.