78 datsun 510 5 speed swap

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing your 4 speed is 26" long. You will need to mod the cross member and the transmission mount to fit the 620 5 speed and shorten your driveshaft. Use your release bearing collar from the 4 speed on the 5 speed clutch arm. You may have to cut the hole in the floor back a bit to allow the shifter through.

Your HL510 uses a 26" F4W63L 4 speed. I'm assuming it's 26" long, most were. The only long 31.5" F4W63L that I know of was in the 610 car.

The later 620 truck, (after '73) uses a longer 31.5" F4W71B (4 spd) or an FS5W71B (5 spd.) 

The F4W63L and the FS5W71B are two totally different transmissions and it's only natural that they would also be different lengths too.

It's a toss up as to which is more expensive really .. Short dogleg transmisions are about $200. if you are willing wait,  and shortening the driveshaft is right about there price range wise..

:hmm:

Is the 4speed broken now,, if not,,  get some taller series tires, like 195/75/14 and it will gain you a few lower revs on the freeway.  I drove a 720 with very tall skinny tires ( it only had 4speed) and i had to shift down to 3rd to keep it at 60-65 on the freeway going up long hills.

It's not broken. Since I do live in California I would really like to have the option to get a higher ratio then 1/1 for freeway driving. Plus I kind of made a bet with my friend that my car could beat his 2014 fiat 500... Mind you I have more displacement. Iv already bought 3 36/38 weber carbs. Over kill? Yes. Will it be fun? Hell yes!

Yes. With the 4-speed you can:

* accelerate faster

* go up hills faster

* get highest top speed

* Cruise at 75 MPH all day long

With the 5-speed you can gain more fuel economy on level highways. And quieter at same time. But the L20B has no problem running at 4000 rpm all day.

"Use your release bearing collar from the 4 speed on the 5 speed clutch arm."

I have seen this stated before and I don't understand, is it because the 4 speed is a shorter collar than the 5 speed and you want to match to the pressure plate?  And bearing that in mind would you do the same if you were to do this on an "A" motor..ex: 4 speed to a 60A 5 speed?

I ask because I have zero tranny knowledge.

OK, but what is the reasoning behind it?  If it wasn't dark already I would compare the collars on the trannys I have.

4 speed out of 510

5 speed out of undtermined Z and or ZX

The release collar is matched to the clutch and should remain together even if the transmission is changed. Car 4 cylinders were 200mm clutch. The FS5W71B 5 speeds were used in 280z, 280zx and 620 trucks and all had 225mm clutches. The release collar on the 5 speed is matched to a 225mm clutch and won't match the 200mm clutch on the 510.

Or more specifically, matched to the height of the clutch cover (pressure plate).

That is correct!!! matched to the new height of the pressure plate when bolted to the flywheel. Just like when you put a Roadster clutch into your 510 the throw out bearing carrier must be changed otherwise you'll have to much play before clutch engagement or should I say lack there of? I have an S14 SR20DE in my 510. The clutch is/was 225mm and the pressure plate is costly and very specific and Japan part only,,,F' that. So I bought a Findanza 10lb flywheel for the SR20DET and a OEM clutch for said engine. The difference in the T/O bearing carriers was .100" luckly I already had one and knew this would have to be addressed. Now some 600 miles later the 510 is happly screaming out Deaf Tones.