80 720 Lowering ?

izzo

This is actually two questions. First, when I am cruising down the road at 40mph, I am really doing 50. Goes for all speeds, speedo reads 10 lower than actual speed, is that tire size? And can i get it fixed with a new speedo cable?

As for the lowering, its at stock height now. I would like to get it lowered at least 3-4 inches. Give it that look, id like the front to be an inch or two lower in the front. So i suppose 4 in front and 2 in back. It has stock suspention on it now. Anyone know of a kit I can get, or parts for other vehicles i can get to put on there? (Like 510 springs etc...)

:confused:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is actually two questions. First, when I am cruising down the road at 40mph, I am really doing 50. Goes for all speeds, speedo reads 10 lower than actual speed, is that tire size? And can i get it fixed with a new speedo cable?

How did you verify how much exactly your speedo is off? If your tires are the cause then your speedo wont always be off by ten mph, rather, the faster you go, the more it will be off; so 5mph off at 30mph, and 10mph at 60mph. If it's just off 10mph off all the time, it could just be the speedo itself?

I had my girl driving behind me on the way home from picking it up. I was doing 60 on 167 south, and blowing by people. She called me up and said i was speeding LoL....

So i tested various speeds, all were 10mph off. Also, not sure how to adjust the torsion bars. I will get some pics of what I have under there soon and post them.

I had my girl driving behind me on the way home from picking it up. I was doing 60 on 167 south, and blowing by people. She called me up and said i was speeding LoL....

So i tested various speeds, all were 10mph off.

So, if your speedo is indicating 5mph, you're actually driving 15mph? Yeah, your tires wouldnt cause a change 10mph across the board like that. Curiously though, what size tire do you have on?

Do you see it physically jump when first moving from a standstill? As it is mechanical, if it is always 10mph off, at all speeds, I would say the problem is at the speedo. If it were a gearing issue (tires, differential, speedo cable) the issue wouldnt be uniformly wrong, but rather graduating.

I will check that and let you know the outcome. Never looked at it from a stand still,just after I was going down the road a bit. I am surprised I have'nt backed it into anything yet since reverse is where first is :D

I know what you mean. My Subaru is a 6speed and it was wierd getting used to 6th being where reverse usually is.

Also, not sure how to adjust the torsion bars. I will get some pics of what I have under there soon and post them.

There lot's of pic's and instructions for torsion bar lowering in the FAQ in General Discussion (or you can click the link in my sig) ;)

I see the torsion bar guide, and pics. I dont really get how it works, for some reason i thought it would be different. I will get under there this weekend and poke around a bit. I dont remember seeing something like that when i was under there.. Then again i didnt look to well. Thanks for the help and the link to the faq, I will use it as the datsun bible lol

Also, that guide looks like it was for re-indexing instead of just adjusting, is that the same thing?

And once I get to that point, is it one click clockwise or counter clockwise?

Same thing, mostly. You only need to re-index if your lever arm ends up below the frame rail.

Tighten the bolt to raise the truck. Loosen it to lower. (I could have this backwards)

It's really simple once you figure out how it works. Just jack it up and turn the adjusters, set it on the ground and see where she sits, adjust for desired ride height.

But again, it would be out a percentage not a constant 10MPH.

Some of the 720s had a short tail tranny in them, the dogleg is typically a short as well, so easy to swap. I've tried to figure out which models had the 'shortie' but could find no common reason for this.

h2theizzo can you post a good picture of your tranny.??

Of coarse it did'nt come with a dogleg, but being a 80 model it was a l motor truck it's possible somebody swapped trannys at some point in time. That's my guess why the speedo is goofy or tire size is wrong or someone has swapped rear diffs who knows?? the truck is 28 years old, prolly passed through many hands.

I've heard of a shot tail dogleg 5 speed on the Z motors in 720's. I think the guy said it was an '83 4x4.

Me too! He got a rebuilt tranny put in and found the gears all moved around. I asked a lot of questions and concluded it was indeed a dogleg. I did some research and think it might have been from an '80-'81 HLa510 with the NAPS Z20S motor.

That does look like a dogleg (smooth bell, no spacer between the gearbox and extension housing) but there was a fairly rare longtail dogleg (was used in the 810). Still would throw the speedo off by a certain percentage. The fact that the trans has junkyard markings (yellow writing) on it shows that it was replaced at some point. The truck probably had a 4-speed originally.

I'm not sure the dataplate will have the trans type on it- they did in 1981, but in 1980 at least early on they were using the older plate that didn't list the trans. But there is a possibility. If it is anywhere, it's on the dataplate on the passenger side inner fenderwell.

Decoding the VIN won't really help, as the trans type wasn't part of the code.