Peanut butter in my cooling system..how to clean?

CFHdatsun77

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you do that?

Some more info would make this easier......  Is the motor in the truck?  How long has it been like this?  You will not be able to get all the gunk out until the cause of it is fixed.

Most of the time, when you have oil in the coolant system its a blown head gasket.  Could be a cracked block, but that is probably not the case.  As far as the hot tanking goes, the motor needs to be pulled and torn down then taken to get hot tanked.

Or just run a garden hose down the thermostat hole for 15 minutes. Most will come out.

Then fix the oil leak. Test to find the cause - a cooling system pressure tester can be used, autozone rents them.

After its running again use cooling system flush per directions on the can. No need to hot tank the engine although that is a more thorough method.

• Like 1

Motor is still in truck, its been sitting for about 6 months since we parked it cause it got clogged.........SO it begins with me buying the truck  like a year n half ago..had oil leaking into the water. checked if it was a gasket and the gasket appeared brand new and just fine aswell. so i dismissed that then decided to pull the motor out at this point thinking to redo the rings n pistens n regasket it. then i found a crack in the block n was hoping that was the problem so i decided to get a new block n do the rebuild on that.

Then i got the head pressure tested n resurfaced  n put it all back together....AND the Same problem again..

so i was thinking it was the head still since we didnt replace it. idfk. i just need to figure out how to get all this main gunk out so i can run it n heat it up then just cycle it through.

without taking the motor out again..

Motor is still in truck, its been sitting for about 6 months since we parked it cause it got clogged.........SO it begins with me buying the truck  like a year n half ago..had oil leaking into the water. checked if it was a gasket and the gasket appeared brand new and just fine aswell. so i dismissed that then decided to pull the motor out at this point thinking to redo the rings n pistens n regasket it. then i found a crack in the block n was hoping that was the problem so i decided to get a new block n do the rebuild on that.

Then i got the head pressure tested n resurfaced  n put it all back together....AND the Same problem again..

so i was thinking it was the head still since we didnt replace it. idfk. i just need to figure out how to get all this main gunk out so i can run it n heat it up then just cycle it through.

without taking the motor out again..

i would start with what ggzilla said to do and go from there. 

You ck the front cover where the water pump is?/ maybe water is coemming from there. If back of the water pump looks like termites whent throw it it could be leaking into the oil from ther eonce it pressurizes up.

ive checked the front cover n it looks just fine,but ill keep that in mind

Probably no antifreeze and the block and head froze. 

So the replacement block is all plugged up too??? Rinse it out There are two drain bungs on the L series block near the bottom back. Open them as well to flush all the loose scale out.

Probably no antifreeze and the block and head froze. 

So the replacement block is all plugged up too??? Rinse it out There are two drain bungs on the L series block near the bottom back. Open them as well to flush all the loose scale out.

when i got the other block i was under the impression that it would be fixed. then when i put back together the same problem persisted. and yes its looking like im just going to have to just stick a hose down itjust have to find somewhere to do it at.

when i got the other block i was under the impression that it would be fixed. then when i put back together the same problem persisted. and yes its looking like im just going to have to just stick a hose down itjust have to find somewhere to do it at.

Prestone sells flushing kits. You install a Tee in the heater line, snap an enclosed goose neck into your radiator neck, open up your heater valve, slip any stray radiator hose over the radiator neck snap fitting, connect an outdoor hose to the Tee. Turn the water on [you're not doing this in the garage are you?] stand back and watch the crap flow.

Leave the Tee in, it makes a good "burp" point when you refill the radiator. Yes. the tee fitting comes with a cap.

Prestone sells flushing kits. You install a Tee in the heater line, snap an enclosed goose neck into your radiator neck, open up your heater valve, slip any stray radiator hose over the radiator neck snap fitting, connect an outdoor hose to the Tee. Turn the water on [you're not doing this in the garage are you?] stand back and watch the crap flow.

Leave the Tee in, it makes a good "burp" point when you refill the radiator. Yes. the tee fitting comes with a cap.

Unfortunately i am in my garage...thats all its coming down too now i think is finding how to not make a mess

When I flush the cooling system on a 521, if it is really bad, I remove the radiator, and then take out the thermostat.  I also remove the drain plug by the starter.

Then I use a hose in to the lower radiator hose to run fresh water into the block, and then use an air hose to blow air in to the block drain fitting.  The air stirs up the sediments in the block, and more comes out.

I also do the same with the radiator, blowing air into the drain fitting hole.  With the radiator out of the truck, you can also shake it around, and get stuff out that way.

With oil in the cooling system, you may need to use a detergent to help remove the oil.  I have heard dishwasher detergent works for this.  Flush the system thoroughly, and completely again after.

• Like 1

Unfortunately i am in my garage...thats all its coming down too now i think is finding how to not make a mess

A possible solution. Take a look at the Prestone kit. Measure or estimate the diameter of the yellow plastic fitting that snaps into the rediator neck. Go to the garden department of your Home Depot and buy enough plastic tubing to slip over the "barbed" end of the radiator fitting [with or without a clamp, not really needed] and pass your sludge outside to an old tub, barrel, or God forbid the gutter and storm drain. If you have an indoor cat, they come with an endless supply of large plastic kitty litter tubs. If you have gophers the alternate solution is obvious.
  • Like 1

A possible solution. Take a look at the Prestone kit. Measure or estimate the diameter of the yellow plastic fitting that snaps into the rediator neck. Go to the garden department of your Home Depot and buy enough plastic tubing to slip over the "barbed" end of the radiator fitting [with or without a clamp, not really needed] and pass your sludge outside to an old tub, barrel, or God forbid the gutter and storm drain. If you have an indoor cat, they come with an endless supply of large plastic kitty litter tubs. If you have gophers the alternate solution is obvious.

Nice that may just do it...also may just be my only hope lol.