T-stat housing *to RTV or not to RTV.

tr8er

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use the gasket. If you only want to do the job once, spread an ULTRA thin layer on the surface of the gasket.. by ultra thin, I mean so thin that you can't even tell what color it is. Just enough of a layer to fill in all the imperfections in the metal surfaces(It shouldn't ooze out the sides when you tighten it down). I've never had a leak that way. Ever. If you can, let it set up and dry before filling or running the engine.

However, I'm sure someone will chime in and say something to the tune of, "If you clean it properly, you don't need sealant blah blah blah..". Hogwash. Take that gamble if you wish.

• Like 1

Rub the thermostat cover on 180 sand paper on a glass coffee table in a figure 8 pattern to level it and use a gasket.

See.... I didn't say anything.....

But.... I picked this out of a water passage in the head...

LZ23HeadKA24014Large.jpg

Less is Best

6579CEE6-8455-4252-9345-0A6E58AC535C_1.j

Oh I found the good shit. This is the worst I've seen. Just bought this truck and it looks like the previous owner ran county water. Likely 5.5-6 acidic. I hope they changed the oil once and a while. Looked clean on the dip.

Well, ran a rust remover and flushed it out real good. Replaced the thermostat. Sanded the one face I pulled out. Smoothed the engine side as best I could, spread on a layer of grey rtv. As thin as I could rub it. Helped hold it in place really. Then bolted em on. Filled her up with 7.7 water and antifreeze concentrate. Ran it for leaks, but won't give her heat till morning. I think all is in running shape. Anything I should be doing due to the orange scale lining my water jackets?

Good luck getting the thermostat out later using a sealer, no matter what the instructions say to the contrary.. They are often difficult with just a gasket. I have never heard of Nissan using RTV, at least when it was Datsun anyway. Some replacement kits include a tube of 'sealer' like for transmissions and diffs but I don't think so on pristine machined surfaces at the factory. Not needed and too labor intensive. I have never seen it 'oozing' on any motors.

Thermostat housings tend to corrode from interaction of dissimilar metals nearby but if you use and change your antifreeze (yeah right) this will be reduced. By the time we get them they are often pitted so sand them down and RTV sparingly. God knows we aren't chevy owners.

You can always tell weather someone knows what they are doing by the color of rtv they use lol grey is tho only kind ever needed. If it is pitted use a little, I try just using the gasket but in the real world that dosn't always work.

Not true.  I used grey, and I have no idea what I'm doing.  

That said, truck runs without leaking, so that is good.  But it still runs hot if I run the AC in traffic.  So T-stat solved, symptom remains...

That said, truck runs without leaking, so that is good. But it still runs hot if I run the AC in traffic. So T-stat solved, symptom remains...

This is the first time you mentioned "symptoms", before you asked about changing the thermostat.

It is normal to run hotter with AC on in traffic. Usual to run a bit over half. But if the gauge needle get close to the H line its a real problem.