L20 blow by quiz ... no happy endings..

jrock4224

so my new old l 20has always put a little oil out the breather on the top of the valve cover...no much maybe a teaspon every oil change or so just wipe it up and go ... well as most of u know .. i creamed some road kill ... fucked up my lip and caved in a mint oil pan from hainz...no since that debauchery its gotten worse...... on the way to the carls meet the hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner blew off and was dripping oil on the exhaust causing smoke to enter the cab through  the column...(i know wierd right , i didn't stop or think twice i was going to a meet...)  any way ... so since the drive back and really since i hit what ever the fuck lifted my truck off the ground this has become wprse... today when a buddy came by to verify something on my truck to his i noticed drips on the exhaust mani that wasn't there before then i looked at the air filter that is now soaked around the bottom,    took the air cleaner off and i have way more then a teaspoon....

3043933F-2B18-469F-81EE-250742054B89_zps

thats not red grease fyi...but that pan is fucked up

F08CB1EE-CCEA-4C17-9239-8CBDB8A84CEB_zps

9CA651E0-FFB6-4C0E-A48B-BD994338116B_zps

so the only real noticeable difference in the motor was i picked up a decel noise that's worse then little bit of wrist pin chatter it had... about twices as loud and only no load situations....the power feels down but i also hauled 18 inch wheels and tires....so that's like a second j cock on board.......oh and im running square post exhaust on a road port head .....and yes thats oil seeping down over my carbb... wasn't this messy at the meet ... so?   now what......tanker swap .......

so this doesnt seem bueno ........

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

side of the block that i have venting into the intake?

meaning i have the block breather that's under the exhaust and has a metal tube in it,   hooked via a rubber hose to the intake i believe on a check or pcv valve.... i put it this way after wayno saw a pic and suggested i not have the valve cover hooked to the intake and it should be the crank case vent hooked to the intake  ...that was a few month's ago ... maybe longer ...shit maybe that was the red truck ... either way my crank case breather hose is hooked to the intake and the valve cover is hooked to the air cleaner

Simply check the dip stick. For all the time it takes, pull the pan and pound out the dent.

The PCV only works when the intake is under vacuum such as deceleration, idle and to a lesser degree part throttle. Even then it's only a small 1/16" hole and not a tornado of flowing air but a small leak. At higher throttle positions when there is maximum blow by, vacuum is least, so doesn't really do much. With a hole in the valve cover the size of your finger there won't be much pressure build up. It's the volume of blow by that carries the fine fog of sprayed oil inside the crank case out.

If blow by amount is normal, then perhaps the fog of oil is excessive and over powers the baffles in the valve cover meant to trap it.This excess fog can be from the crank hitting a too high oil level perhaps only on sudden stops or the main and rod bearings are worn and badly bleeding.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Safety wire? !?! Been using it for years ...on motorcycle builds and anything with small rubber hose like this .... I didn't have any clamps the small usually I double wrap it and connect the two ..... But this was the billion time hooking it up during swap fest ........got tired of caring and just singled it ........ Trucks been sitting life's been happening and I been trying to keep a low profile ........one the good side oh there aren't any ......... This am I inadvertently poured scalding hot coffee in my shoe pouring to fast ....... Top of my is blistery looking stupid sock and shoe held it on me couldn't get the sock off.....some times I feel like jim Carey in the Truman show I've just yet to rammed my sailboat into the horizon and find the door out of this shit

The metal lines are (or should) be beaded. I drove a Datsun 620 to Ontario and back without a clamp on the pump. Less then 4 PSI on a tiny 1/4" cross section is nothing but maybe a pound of push. Naturally I put one on, duh. 

hey, is the oil level higher than it used to be?

do you think since its got a massive dent in it now that it might have raised the oil level and the crank is slinging alot more oil around than normal?

secondly, what the fucking hell did you hit? that first picture is my literal nightmare when im driving my truck.

thirdly, to confirm 100% from you; you have the block vent from the side going straight to the breather with a PCV valve midway? correct? 

when i had the L in the truck, i had the side block vent going to a PCV, and then to a plate on the intake where the egr used to go. 

the valve cover just had a length of hose that ran down by the frame, venting to atmosphere under the truck.. 

• 3 weeks later...

well spent some time on the snack this weekend.... jacked her up ... the dent in the oil pan looks way worse then it is.. i think the flash made deeper shadows ...changed the oil did a valve adjustment ....and it still pushes oil out valve cover .... still makes a mess and still irritates the fuck out of me ... yes the pcv works fine ....maybe its time to bite the bullet and do the scary thing that s and just do the compression test ..... scared of the result .........checked every easy fix......

couple other things i noticed ...

the exhaust tone has changed ...

its is harder to start when cold(bad compression i know)....

feels underpowered but to be honest it proilly cuz i been driving other shit that i think its under powered

and i have a sweet wrist pin noise on part throttle..... its getting worse .....

keep your cellys on i may need a tow soon ...

please advise

well when i said no happy endings i guess it was forshadowing

F6C3DF28-55C1-40F9-85E7-10DCB00F96B8_zps

120/90 is  is a difference between wet and dry :crying:  :crying:  :crying:  :crying:  :crying: 

well i guess i wont worry about the wrist pin noise getting worse and worse....

number two hole is all oily a the plug hole too .... guessi know why its still pushing oil ...guess im on the rewind bus back to l16 ville.

dude number three pumped over 200... we joked we should slit the h/g between the cylinders to share the compression ... with number 2

got a l16 and abuilt l18 inthe blue car might use... thinking just l16 for a bit then maybe keep my eyes out for a truck dohc ka from a frontier on the cheap to maybe go later model ...

we are building a lz for the red truck but to be honest im kind over dumping money at 100 hp... lol so i dunno ... next sunday will be the rewind swap ... from l20 to 16

Damn well something went really right with that cylinder.

Yeah I got you on the LZ,  but I love that motor.  So much low end power!  I only went with it because I wanted to keep the look correct.  If you are planing a KA then I would dump the LZ and go that route.  Lot more power to be had if that is what your looking for.

Jon wouldn't it be easier to pop the head off, remove the cross brace and lower the steering , remove the pan. Take the #2 slug out hone the shit out of that cylinder and replace the rings on it? One h/g, one pan gasket and one set of rings. A mornings work get her running by 3.

Hopefully not a broken ring or piston.

• Like 1

so i can drop it off.... yes all those things would be easy but im afraid of the mileage on this motior...its the dirtiest under valve cover i ever seen ... it came out of the blue 510 upon purchase as a runner but the guy said he had been back and forth to the east coast twice too....pretty sure it did... maybe three times... lol......the lz s for the red truck ... it might mean i get the l20 oiut of it .. but its like every other used l20 ...a crap shoot for longevity

i smell a full on ka swap .. maybe ... once the compression test was done i rolled that pig outside and immediately started back onthe irs goon project ....got more trimmed out and ready to start disecting trailing arms.........just gonna swap a l16 in for now that i was putting in my goon .... while i finish the goon up i will keep my eyes peeled for a rear sump ka de