71 510 Project

hey guys i need advice i have a 71 510 sedan i recently picked up an l20b and the l18 closed chamber peanut head, how much of a difference does this haed make over the stock l20 head, also what other universal mods can i do that improve power and torque, i am not looking for anything crazy i just want to be able to make my car slide 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The A87 closed head will up the compression from 8.4 to 8.9 or about 1/2 a point. Generally a one point jump will gain 4 to 6% increase under optimal conditions. As the L20B makes about 93 RWHP on a good day, half a point would be under 3 hp, hardly noticeable. Compression increases are highly over rated for a street motor and bring up more problems than they are worth doing.

The stock U67 L20B head will have larger better breathing intake ports and should be mated to a large port '78 or newer intake.

Back in the day, skateboard wheels were ceramic. Those things slid like mad. You could get some ceramic wheels. I got them new rubbery ones to help prevent sliding.

Not really hatin. It's your car, have fun. But this forum will likely not garner much support for a drift car. I've watched several of these posts now from others. Basically drift cars have life expectancies of Meth addicts. And we kinda love our Datsuns. That plus the absence of a 510 re-pop machine means drifting is not an approved use of a classic. Buuuuut, if your car is pretty beat up already, that helps. Thus pics!

Keep your head on the engine. Rebuild the peanut outside the car while you drive her. Put the new head on later when the rest of the car is ready. That's my vote.

Back in the day, skateboard wheels were ceramic. Those things slid like mad. You could get some ceramic wheels. I got them new rubbery ones to help prevent sliding.

Not really hatin. It's your car, have fun. But this forum will likely not garner much support for a drift car. I've watched several of these posts now from others. Basically drift cars have life expectancies of Meth addicts. And we kinda love our Datsuns. That plus the absence of a 510 re-pop machine means drifting is not an approved use of a classic. Buuuuut, if your car is pretty beat up already, that helps. Thus pics!

Keep your head on the engine. Rebuild the peanut outside the car while you drive her. Put the new head on later when the rest of the car is ready.

No worries man i was just batting around the idea nothing it set in stone as of yet . i might just use her as a daily once the l20 is in.   how do i upload pics

The L20B will side more than an L16. But seriously drive your car. Learn how much fun not 'sliding' is. These cars corner like a snake on sand paper 40 years ago. Just imagine how far the cheapest tire today will improve on that! I warn you, great handling is very addictive. There's nothing like hard cornering G force. Then lower it, stiffen the suspension, better tires. Pretty soon you will want to think about a 280zx strut swap to get the larger caliper brakes and vented rotors so you can stop... then you'll want...

• 3 months later...