Mystery knocking...

metalmonkey47

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen the aftermath of when the bolt falls out a couple times.. It tears out one side of the keyway so the crank would have to be welded and reground ..

I fixed one by drilling 2 holes and pounding in dowels and the put bolt back in ,,, I'm not proud of it but i was less than half as old as i am now,, and it did last for quite awhile if i remember.

Ah, okay. Still would like to see it though. And yeah, I have absolutely detonated a damper on my sand drag Jeep, one that was not suppose to do that. It was a tad shocking to say the least and it messed up the snout pretty bad, but....I'm still running it and did not take it out. So maybe it could be saved.

I fixed one by drilling 2 holes and pounding in dowels and the put bolt back in ,,, I'm not proud of it but i was less than half as old as i am now,, and it did last for quite awhile if i remember.

Damn back in the day (mid '80s) I over revved my L16 521 hill climbing. Took 8 tries but I got up the bitch. Mile from home the pulley came off. Found the bolt and put everything back on, never even thought about the keys. Tightened with vice-grips limped home. Fixed it and it ran for years.... lucky.

I often think that if we had the internet back then, we would have never "fixed" anything because we would have been told it would never work. I needed to be online before I realized that I was a total shit mechanic, all the stuff that once worked great, I am now being told that if I even start it in my shop, everyone in a five mile radius will be killed in the explosion.

• Like 2

Hey sorry guys, just got home. No bearing issues, the pulley was 100% the issue. The only reason I say rebuilding was because of my compression issues. I figure if the crank comes out, the pistons might as well too. Too bad I can't get ahold of the fucking engine builder so I can figure out specs on these damn Mahle powerpak pistons so i can order the damn rings. I feel like I'm being ducked for sure.  :mad:

I'm trying to get you guys a video of the bottom end now...but my phones being a retard. 

BRB in a second. 

Thinking about slapping this pulley back on with a good key, tightening the fuck out of it, and calling it a day. Then when my vacation time comes up, ripping it out and tossing in a black top SR my buddy has laying around. I love my L, but goddamn this is annoying. 

When the pulley came off, he said he just tapped it with a wrench and un screwed the bolt with his hands. That was torqued when the motor was assembled about 8 months ago. Never came off.

http://youtu.be/GQO6ZbIFhGs

New damper, new key, loctite and run it.

Yup! There's not that much drag on the pulley, so I don't think I'll wipe out the snout and break the crank.

Yeah? What's going on with the compression?

Didn't notice this before, rings never seated. I'm a few thousand miles in now at this point. 

No shit.. well I'm about to invest in some Mikuni phh44's so if anything will set them in well it's that. LOL I'll beat the living shit out of this truck for the first few days until i get bored and drive sane again. This motor is clown shoes and sooooo ready for lots of air. Dyno'd 104 at the wheels on a weber 32/36

• Like 1

I noticed the gap also check the bottom 2 bolts for tight 

also sounds like K7N might also be crap filters 

check the waterpump and pully also some strange noises come from those sometimes 

make sure bolt on front main pulley is tight the washer can make an odd sound if loose 

for more suggestions post in biebers gift basket  :fu:  :fu:  :fu:  :fu:  :fu:  :fu:  :fu:  :fu:  

:devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil: me too

• Like 1

No shit.. well I'm about to invest in some Mikuni phh44's so if anything will set them in well it's that. LOL I'll beat the living shit out of this truck for the first few days until i get bored and drive sane again. This motor is clown shoes and sooooo ready for lots of air. Dyno'd 104 at the wheels on a weber 32/36

Yeah, unless they are just really super glazed, or have had a huge end gap from the start, many times the pressure of running the snot out of it will make them seat. Did you do a leak-down test and that's how you found out they were not sealing good?

Yeah, unless they are just really super glazed, or have had a huge end gap from the start, many times the pressure of running the snot out of it will make them seat. Did you do a leak-down test and that's how you found out they were not sealing good?

yeah, I'm lucky enough to live near one of the few summit racing stores. Did a leak down test about 2weeks ago