Mystery knocking...

metalmonkey47

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont buy Nissan Bearings. I have seen lab reports for both KA and CA motors showing tolerances of the bearings being poorer than Federal Mogul or Clevite. Also they were packaged worse and therefor had scratching on the bearings out of the package. Other brands are also multilayer.

• Like 1

simple as that... 

lol, you dont even have to pull the pan if you get a body panel puller that welds the little rod to the metal.. 

its an idea, and lots of places have em.. spot weld the little rod on it, use a puller to stretch the pan down a tiny bit, grind little rod off pan when youre done.. 

or you can pull the pan and clearance it that way..

I have fought this myself, but on a domestic v8, with rod ends hitting the side of the block AND the camshaft. No picnic, but if it's just the pan with you, that should be easy enough. It must be just hardly touching it, so a very small pull in the right spot should fix you up.

simple as that... 

lol, you dont even have to pull the pan if you get a body panel puller that welds the little rod to the metal.. 

its an idea, and lots of places have em.. spot weld the little rod on it, use a puller to stretch the pan down a tiny bit, grind little rod off pan when youre done.. 

or you can pull the pan and clearance it that way..

i thought about using my stud gun and puller but it was powdercoated and it makes sense to just drop it and beat it out .... well to be fair i pulled the motor back the fuck out i had to fix the pan anyway ..... always remember to hammer your pan flange flat before reinstall...or u might get a leaky leaky

I'll be back more on this later... I'm at work. Roads are iced over, were under a state of emergency again here in ATL.

wouldn't this have been an issue from day 1?? Why would the rod bolt all the sudden start to touch the pan?

It wouldn't. It would do it right off the bat. If it's new, you most likely have something else going on.

That 'right stuff' is awesome.

lol remember mentioning having to pound my flange on my pan back flat ........ right stuff is a bitch to get the seal broke to remove the pan .... i use two long scrapers and drive them down the flange till i get its free enough to pull off..... but i rarely have a pan gasket leak ... unless to stoned to remember to pound flange straight again .. jus ssayin....my redos are cuz asleep t the wheel .... well most the l20 motor fiasco was more than that easy ...

Wrong size key was installed?

no clue, didn't appear to be, but I'll know more later

Wow, that's horrible. It's that bad huh?

looking like it. I'm gonna try and get this crank to a machine shop and see if anyone can slot mill it for a better keyway. Might order a dampner from summit.