(RB25 swap) one mans dream

TheArtist

so im ready to start working on my 74 620 and im going over the engine possibilities for this thing, first i wanted to do a 5.0 ford engine but after looking at the width of the headers ill have problems with my RHD swap because of the steering. i mean either way its going to be close. 

the rb25 engine is 33 inches in length which means its 3 inches too long. im not opposed to cutting into the firewall but im seeking for advice of what that engine will do to the truck in the engine bay weight wise, length wise, and all that.

i can get a full RB25 swap for 1500 so im just thinking why not but then again if that is just too crazy ill just do a SR but i feel thats not original enough. maybe im just over thinking everything.

share your thoughts with me please, all the help i can get would be very wonderful

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of the v8.  I had a 240z with a 383 chevy small block and never like the car.  It was fitting the exhaust without cooking the car was the part I never liked.  That car was wicked fast, but not a very comfortable cruiser.  It really depends on what you want out of the car.  If you want to stay Nissan, I would go with a turbo motor, CA18, SR20DET or even non-turbo VQ.

this is not my first swap nor will it be my last, this will probably be number 8 for me. I understand cutting into the truck will ruin the originality of the engine bay which is something I don't mind doing but I still want it to look clean. power wise this thing will have lots of power but this truck is going to be built for more shows and the occasional Saturday cruise then anything.  

maybe im just being super over ambitious about this. ive already done a ka swap in my 79 620 and had a SR in my S14 ive also swapped a 06 VQ35 into my 95 maxima so I know what each engine has to offer for me. I guess im just looking for something different.

I would do a VQ swap but dealing with the NATS is no fun and if you run a 95 ecu and harness you have to change out all the timing stuff. its just a lot of extra work when you go with the newer motors, so many electronics involved. I will say this I was putting down 300whp though. I was just reading up on a guy that did an RB swap in a 521 and it was super clean but crammed.

im glad I started this topic though. I had my heart set on a RB but im now leaning towards the sr. I can pick one up for 1000 and use that other money to complete my 240sx suspension swap on the Datsun.

I will say this, nothing beats the sound of an inline 6 turbo motor.

no, randomly found it in the internet. the guy does not belong on ratsun sadly.

its looking like im going back to the RB. I cant find any SR's around here for cheaper then 3500 that's with my hookup at the importer. I just cut out my firewall for the rhd swap so im going to start measuring everything and see how far back this tranny will sit inside the cab.

right now im working on a R32 GTS so I can just use his rb20 motor to see how everything fits.

• Like 1

Doing a hybrid takes difficulty to a whole new level.  If you're going to add regenerative braking, you're going to be grafting the front and rear suspensions to truck or the other way around, trying to drop the body onto a reworked unibody.  if you going to go that far I would rather graft it onto a g35 awd chassis.  Now if you want to go all electric, that's easy.  Install motor and cooling system with a bed full of batteries.  One of the guys did a 240z on HybridZ.  It was a cool project.  I don't remember if it was direct drive to the rear end or he ran it through the tranny.

• 2 weeks later...