Nissan 3.0 V6 Factory Turbo (340HP)

OK,

have been invistgating this engine for a bit, finding out how gotdam awesome it is in several ways. IM not sure what year the drive by wire starts, but the cost of the CPU doubles compared to the cabled throttle version.

This motor alone has inspired me to get the Camaro done and sold, and build something around this plant. Looking for general discussion about your experinces thoughts and views with this motor...if any.

And...the fun part....what to put it in.....I have the capabilties to make anything handle...that being said, looking at cheap RWD cars that weigh 2700 and lower or close...and of course turn it into a wide&low functional road course car for pleasure.

Thinking.... Capri, 510, Pinto, Maverick, BMW, Corona,  Corrola...Miata....you get the picture. Something that makes people made you did that, but cant help wanting to drive it or see it run...even something more odd, like a 1966 volvo..dont know...

For some reason..the  pre- 75 Maverick road car seems very doooable, cost and time. Keep in mind, different people are telling me this motor can and does support 500hp with a few mods, not touching bottom end or heads, Im told the injectors are oversized from the factory..and all kinds things that are hard to imagine. Keep in mind these are the ones coming from Japan due to their emissions laws.

Should I beware of anything with this motor? Im sure Im missing something...just not that familar with these.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What motor are you talking about? I don't know of any 3.0 liter drive-by-wire Nissan engines. The last VG30DETT was cable operated, and the next engine in line was the 3.5 non turbo with drive-by-wire.

The VG30ET and VG30DETT can easily make 340hp in stock trim, but neither are rated at 340 from the factory, nor are they drive by wire.

• Like 1

What motor are you talking about? I don't know of any 3.0 liter drive-by-wire Nissan engines. The last VG30DETT was cable operated, and the next engine in line was the 3.5 non turbo with drive-by-wire.

The VG30ET and VG30DETT can easily make 340hp in stock trim, but neither are rated at 340 from the factory, nor are they drive by wire.

Sorry didnt list it, I thought someone would say ohhh yeah I know the one...anyway..its a pre 2003 model they use them in the SlLVIA...Japan or any other country besides the US Im assuming...motor is VQ30DET, half the weight of a VG30DETT, the block is aluminum and enteranals are much lignter.

Im told 2003 and up these went to drive by wire, just thought Id see if thats verifiable on through some members on this site.

Hope that makes some type of sense. :geek:

Put it in a Datsun 510. Oops that's already been done.

Yes  it has been done...when swaping from one make to the other....do people loose their minds, say Nissan motor into a Toyota, Mitsubishi or whatever..? On the American side it isnt as bad as it use to be...say SBC into a Mustang...or even this...vvvvvv..its sittin in a 68 Camro. I dont give a shit too much but was wondering what the take is?

12241299764_de0402ec32.jpg
302rs3 by zuess4u, on Flickr

Yes  it has been done...when swaping from one make to the other....do people loose their minds, say Nissan motor into a Toyota, Mitsubishi or whatever..?

The problem isn't the motor swap, it's the owners who think they're the shit because they swapped in a slightly more powerful stock motor, usually ruining the handling of the car (that's ok they're into brag racing... only).  Then they trash talk anything and everything, very common with LS and JZ lemming swaps.

-Robert

• Like 2

ok stop time out you have a 67 camero that you want to finish and sell to build a mavrick with a nissan powerplant........are you on crack? no matter how you look at this it just doesnt add up the camero will always be worth a huge fortune MORE then whatever you build after market support is EVERYWHERE the bay is big enought o run whatever power plant you want and it looks a shitload better i think yon need to seriously stop and think before you decide to sell what is by far the better car to finance something that will likely never be finished 

The problem isn't the motor swap, it's the owners who think they're the shit because they swapped in a slightly more powerful stock motor, usually ruining the handling of the car (that's ok they're into brag racing... only).  Then they trash talk anything and everything, very common with LS and JZ lemming swaps.

-Robert

I agree and understand what you mean.....the VQ30DET weighs around 350lbs, without A/C. The stock HP is around 276, with some mapping done 340hp...(was told by a source)...

And lets say just for giggles...Im doing a Maverick...A Ford 289-302 weighs 460lbs...lets just say...your cutting 100lbs or more of weight off the front end. The car weighs in stock around 3k.

A stock 302 produces 150-170 hp. The weight distrubution of a 71 Maverick....full tank/fully dressed options 302/289 is 52.5 front and 47.5 rear, not bad numbers for factory.

If these numbers are close, your gaing 100+ HP with cheaper and more reliable potential to go further, and you have lost 100+ pounds.

In regards to distribution, I have not done any sprung and or any unsprung figures yet.

A L28 dressed weighs around 445....not much less then the Ford 302...and produces 133-145 hp..that being said swapping the VQ30DET into a S30 make sense too, SBC fully dressed is pushing 550lbs...which screws the pooch when it comes to factory designed handling.

I guess its like you say Robert, is it bragging rights for some guys, or is it truly functional?  I look at the VQ30DET as fully fucntional plus more, due to weight to HP ratio, its more economical addtional HP potential...and can only assume overall better reliablity over any American made motor that can be compared apples to apples, which by the way cant be done.

I guess my overall excitment is based on the last statement...for the $$$ there isnt too many sets that compare..STOCK. 

Is it the right motor for a 510? Maybe not depending on your objectives....Id say off the top of my head for me, more then likely the VQ would have to be moved back towords the cab, but even so...your looking at ( with my objectives)  more work and mods then the outcome is worth...thats just me.

The models I thru up there were just off the top of my head, as a visual. There would be much investigation done before the first dollar was spent.....lol

ok stop time out you have a 67 camero that you want to finish and sell to build a mavrick with a nissan powerplant........are you on crack? no matter how you look at this it just doesnt add up the camero will always be worth a huge fortune MORE then whatever you build after market support is EVERYWHERE the bay is big enought o run whatever power plant you want and it looks a shitload better i think yon need to seriously stop and think before you decide to sell what is by far the better car to finance something that will likely never be finished 

Bonvo,

Its Camaro...not camero...lol...just bustin ballz... Heres the deal, I hear your outrage and discussed and its on point.

But Ive built 3 of these already for one.

For two...I wouldnt spend all the profits from the Camaro sale on this Frankienstien of a build.

Three....Im tired of shiny 10k dollar paint jobs and polished aluminum wheels on so called hot rods.

If I were to get 23k+ for my car, Id budget out a reasonble amount to get this other project done, trust me. Does not mean Im sold on a Maverick either, the point is this. I WILL build the next car with a VQ30DET motor, the primary function above all will be handling and braking. There will be no body work done to speak of, unless it effects suspension travel or saftey, the amount of wheel track will be as wide as I can get it, the center of gravity will be functional enough to drive...MOST places, the interior will be simplfied and or gutted....yadda yadda

To make it clear or ideal...the car will be something that could compete on a road course, but not SCCA certified, but rather nasty street car, that someone would look at from a far and say...WHY or WTF...but cant wait to see what its all about up close, I can park it and not worry about it getting scratched or someone breathing on my windows......type car...

I dont know, to each is own I say, who is to say Im on crack or not...thats what this is all about.

This car $$$ wise will not add up to the Camero, whatever it is, and guess what...? thats not the objective.... B)

Yes  it has been done...when swaping from one make to the other....do people loose their minds, say Nissan motor into a Toyota, Mitsubishi or whatever..? On the American side it isnt as bad as it use to be...say SBC into a Mustang...or even this...vvvvvv..its sittin in a 68 Camro. I dont give a shit too much but was wondering what the take is?

12241299764_de0402ec32.jpg
302rs3 by zuess4u, on Flickr

this is stupid........ if its really a camaro ... like sure, at the time u wanna drive it and u had it then u got bored and tried to sell it ..... yeah most people aren't even gonna take this serious.... the rest of it is all wtf to me

this is stupid........ if its really a camaro ... like sure, at the time u wanna drive it and u had it then u got bored and tried to sell it ..... yeah most people aren't even gonna take this serious.... the rest of it is all wtf to me

Yes..this is real..Ron had the motor in his Mustang which he sold, ended up going with a twin turbo plant, producing 1100hp on 91 octane, this car is featured in 2008 Popular Hot Rodding..cover...He will never get all of his money out of it, BUT...without a doubt it will or has sold for more then you would exspect....and you bet your ass they took this car serious....I spoke with him during the build.

12242795183_608b1c16c5.jpg
302rs2 by zuess4u, on Flickr

i like mavericks but seriously put a radical 4.6 in there or something ... dont cut your nose off to spite your face

Jrock.....

I get it, but the priority is handling, and of course budget....tell me what a 4.6 that produces 500hp would cost and weighs...and compare it to the VQ30DET. Cost to cost pound for pound....lets not forget RPM's...let alone what weight does....lol.....Im just saying.

Lets say you picked up a Maverick with no motor...for 500.00...bone stock, 40 years of wear. If you want it to handle and break, your gunna spend some $$$, Im guessing that 4.6 will cost twice as much to get to the HP goal or mark, weigh 100+ more pounds and not rev as high, plus will have some after market internals.....Now really Im just guessing....I have no idea..you may be sheading some light.

• Like 1

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0805phr_rod_deraads_68_chevy_rs_camaro/

You say you want a car that handels and to run on road corses. So why pick a solid rear axle car? I know it can be done,  but an independent rear suspention would be so much better.

Maybe you could graft one into the mav, but if your not carfull you will be adding to the weight problem.

i have one of these motors in my s13 and it should weigh in at ~2500lbs with me in it...i could probably answer any question you have about it...the Y33(95-99) vq30det is the motor that you will want as it doesnt have NATS and DBW like the Y34(99-04)

There is already a company that sells a bolt in independent for a maverick but i aint looking it up.. Second a overhead cam engine probably wont fit worth a shit in a maverick because of the spring towers. Third and most importantly, camaros are stupid.

• Like 1