Battery mount

Z-train

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best to prevent it [or keep it from getting worse after cleaning and priming] by sprinkling some baking soda in the bottom of the tray [i assume it's plastic] before installing the battery. Most Japanese battery trays have ribbing to elevate the battery, so the baking soda will sit just below the bottom and catch battery acid spills / overflows which will slide below the battery.

OPTION 1: Relocate the battery. :D

OPTION 2: Remove the battery tray so you can access all the rust spots to clean & prep. Of course, if you're gonna do that, reconsider Option 1.

OPTION 3: Scrape,wirebrush, sand as best you can, then Rust Mort, Eastwood or Zero Rust the hell out of it and hope you got it all. Probably not a problem in Arizona.

Why does it happen to the tray's exactly?

I have an optima and after neutralizing the rust on the tray, covering it with zero rust and painting over that it is happening agian! I even had one of the metal battery tie downs start to do the same thing as the battery tray. Dunno why but the next one didn't do it. This is all happening while using the stock plastic battery tray.

Anyways, the baking soda really stops it?

257DSC07315.JPG

Why does it happen to the tray's exactly?

I have an optima and after neutralizing the rust on the tray, covering it with zero rust and painting over that it is happening agian! I even had one of the metal battery tie downs start to do the same thing as the battery tray. Dunno why but the next one didn't do it. This is all happening while using the stock plastic battery tray.

Anyways, the baking soda really stops it?

257DSC07315.JPG

The corrosion is caused by the acid fumes wafting [nice word there] up from the plastic tray. Air currents under the hood evaporate the acid overflow that is trapped in the tray. Don't over fill the battery beyond the "indicator" pips inside the filler neck. The baking soda reduces the sulfuric acid to sodium carbonate which is white and ugly but not corrosive. Sealed bateries help also. Hold down and structural corrosion is one reason the 1964 Corvair is hard to find with a left rear quarter panel intact. And also why the 1964 Corvair and 1967 Datsun 411 batteries are so hard to find. Early batteries were unsealed, current versions are sealed maintenance free, but where do you find a 64 Corvair or 67 Datsun 411 these days?

Hold down and structural corrosion is one reason the 1964 Corvair is hard to find with a left rear quarter panel intact.

Also the cause of many a Porsche 914 fire as the fuel pump is directly under the battery tray. :eek:

but where do you find a 64 Corvair or 67 Datsun 411 these days?

There's a '63 and '64 Corvair around the corner from me. Based on your UserID, I'm guessing -YOU- have a '67 411. :D