Odd noise I.D?

Draynor

So my car developed a noise tonight. Can not tell where it it is coming from. LZ21 long rod, dogleg 5 speed.

First we went through and replaced the spark plugs, cap & rotor, coil, and re-set the timing, since it all needed done anyway. Still makes the noise. Checked the oil "Just in case" it was dry. Which is weird since it was just full yesterday and I only drove 40 minutes today. After filling the oil up the noise so I thought quieted down, but once I started driving again it was still there.

I was thinking maybe a rod/main bearing? But the weird thing is when I drive, the car still has tons of power and goes down the road smoothly, it's just awful to listen to the noise, so I tried to stay out of it as much as possible. I noticed it will be louder and more consistent in low gears, once I hit 4th it will stop making it sometimes, depending on how much gas you give it in 4th or 5th makes it louder or quieter. Give it just barley any gas and it will get louder, give it more gas and hold it there and it wont make the noise at all. Every time I shift it makes a odd clunk sound as well. This all got me thinking transmission is having a problem?

Really lost here, any help is appreciated! 2 videos below, best I could do in a crunch. Click them to play...

th_IMG_2373_zpsf484695b.jpg

th_IMG_2374_zps03d450c3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the tranny is tight. Doesn't move at all really.

The exhaust has a little wiggle room. It is basically touching the floor and tranny at the same time in some spots. I was by myself so hard to tell if holding the exhaust in place made the noise go away since you have to rev it to hear it.

Guess I got to wait till someone is home...

Well "H5WAGON" and I adjusted the valves today. After the first adjustment noise sounded a little louder, then we tried again and it kinda sounded like it quieted down, but it's some what herd to tell, next to a busy street lol. Adjusted one more time, then 5 or so minutes later it started making another ticking sound. Now it always does it even at idle, never really did it at idle before. We determined both noises are coming from the top end. We ran it with out the valve cover, and nothing looked like it was shaking or anything.

Anybody have idea what in the head could be making this noise?

I know you can't tell much from a video, but here is another with the "New" clicking sound. On video it kinda sounds like a exhaust leak, but it's not...

th_IMG_2375_zps853bcd51.jpg

Exhaust leak where the exhaust manifold connects to the rest of the exhaust system, this has happened to others before, they swore it was the engine, but it was just an exhaust leak.

It can also be the where the exhaust manifold connects to the head also, but that is usually easier to figure out, as it is closer to your eyes and ears.

Have you bottomed it out lately?

No bottoming out lately. I guess it doesn't hurt to buy a $2 flange gasket :rofl:

It really sounds like a clacking though, more than a leak. I have had a bad leak before, no gasket at all on the downpipe. and it didn't sound like this. Worth a shot though.

No bottoming out lately. I guess it doesn't hurt to buy a $2 flange gasket :rofl:

It really sounds like a clacking though, more than a leak. I have had a bad leak before, no gasket at all on the downpipe. and it didn't sound like this. Worth a shot though.

I am not saying that is what it is, can you get your hand down there without burning yourself again and feel for a leak?

You have the early exhaust manifold(double tube)?

Alright! Got a compression test done tonight. Going to do the oil pressure tomorrow.

#1: 182
#2: 186
#3: 175 - Came in at 170 the first time.
#4: 190

Pretty good numbers. Made some phone calls and did some thinking. The old pistons in this block, before we rebuilt it, On 3 of them the valves hit. After some more thinking and looking back at pics #3 piston had the biggest gash in it from the valves out of all of them. Just so happens that number 3 cylinder is getting the lowest compression too. So we're thinking maybe the valve is bent...

Only had little time today to check things out, and no one around to start car and such.

But I did find/fix a problem.

So went to put the oil pressure gauge I bought in. Took the old sender out and no oil came out of the hole, hmmm. Hooked up the gauge anyway and it showed no pressure. So stuck a screwdriver in there to see if it was clogged or something, nope, it just stops. Then remembered the screw we put in a hole just above the sender cause oil was coming out of it, I thought before this was the sender hole, but everyone else thought otherwise.

So I put the sender in there, oil light goes off, yeah! Then hooked up the gauge, and it reads 50psi at idle. I think that fixes my oil pressure problem! :D :D :D

Went ahead and took the head off. I have a car to borrow for a while, so I thought might as well check everything out. Taking it apart tomorrow...

The #2 pistons is pretty clean compared to the others. A bronze color.

Also one of the valves has some grinding around the area it touches. The cam also has some grind marks as well. All pictured below.

IMG_2380_zpse877743b.jpg

IMG_2382_zps5886f91e.jpg

IMG_2383_zps3eab0be3.jpg

IMG_2384_zps55ef4d9e.jpg

IMG_2385_zps848c9aee.jpg

You can see the grinding around the valve area here.

IMG_2386_zps19a3bce6.jpg

IMG_2394_zps0fc34589.jpg

IMG_2395_zps64ea8a86.jpg

IMG_2396_zps47d7ddfb.jpg

IMG_2397_zps77c19a8a.jpg

You can see the grinding on the cam here, also the head has some marks too...

IMG_2393_zps0ecb3b82.jpg

IMG_2398_zpsdc9810a3.jpg

Alright! Got a compression test done tonight. Going to do the oil pressure tomorrow.

#1: 182

#2: 186

#3: 175 - Came in at 170 the first time.

#4: 190

Pretty good numbers. Made some phone calls and did some thinking. The old pistons in this block, before we rebuilt it, On 3 of them the valves hit. After some more thinking and looking back at pics #3 piston had the biggest gash in it from the valves out of all of them. Just so happens that number 3 cylinder is getting the lowest compression too. So we're thinking maybe the valve is bent...

Did not know this was a Z22 block / CC head. These would be real good on a stock 8.4 compression L20B but yours is 10.48 to one. I would expect a lot higher even over 200.

Motor was and is not at TDC. #1 valves should be closed. If you set by timing mark then something is wrong.

Where did all that oil come from on the #2 piston??? Notice #2 valves are all coked? Mark the cam location so you can put it back and rotate it to lift the #2 exhaust valve off it's seat. Does it look bent?

Not sure how the oil got on the #2 piston, was hoping it was from I lifted the head up.

Yeah we set the timing by the mark. I didn't set anything before I took the head off. Just started taking everything apart.

Couldn't tell if it's bent. I got The head off and had enough time to take pics and get to class.

Going to tear the head down tomorrow. But might have a lead on a CC A87. Would be easier for me to just buy that...

Ok, so ended up being the #2 intake valve was bent, So bad that it wouldn't come out by hand. Tapped it out and the guide cracked :(. The #2 exhaust valve was also bent a little.

Took it to the machine shop with the extra valves I got from Mike. Ended up being a couple of my other valves were just slightly tweaked, good thing I got those extras. So he hot tanked the head, grinded the valves & seats, and replaced the cracked guide all for $50 :cool: Oh and he had it all done within a couple hours :)

Put it back together tonight, Cams on just didn't get a pic. Hoping to have back on the car and running Sunday, Miss my car...I HATE THE FOCUS :mad:

Cracked guide on #2 intake

IMG_2410_zps1da69a91.jpg

IMG_2421_zps1423d1a6.jpg

IMG_2417_zps699cde27.jpg

IMG_2414_zps86b8c73a.jpg

IMG_2428_zps669c574d.jpg

IMG_2425_zpsc2a4a40b.jpg

IMG_2430_zps2029976f.jpg

• Like 1