Looking For 510 Window Latches

I am looking for a pair of rear window latches for a 510 2door. I have seen some on ebay for 50$ apiece, and I am not willing to spend that much. Is there a cheaper place to get them? or maybe another widely available latch that will work? I am not looking for pretty or perfect, but I need something better than a bungee cord to keep my windows from flapping around. :)

Torin

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily, I am looking for an alternative to the outrageously expensive stock ones. I was hoping someone would point me in the direction of another source for the part, or a way of fabricating or modifying another part to fit my car. Also, I was wondering whether $100 a set was a normal price for the latches.

100 is about as cheap as you will find a set unless you find them used 

if you don't care to open them you can drill a hole in the outer face of the latch and screw it into the mounting hole, that is about as cheap as you can get them 

this is the cheapest you will find them new 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-510-2-door-1-4-Window-latchs-68-73-qty-2-/111122688832?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19df6dab40&vxp=mtr

Wow. I am amazed that a little hinge costs so much. Seems like highway robbery to me, especially when so many parts are inexpensive on 510's.

100 is about as cheap as you will find a set unless you find them used 

if you don't care to open them you can drill a hole in the outer face of the latch and screw it into the mounting hole, that is about as cheap as you can get them 

this is the cheapest you will find them new 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-510-2-door-1-4-Window-latchs-68-73-qty-2-/111122688832?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19df6dab40&vxp=mtr

If I had any latches to start with, I'd do that, but my car has no latch or any latch components of any kind, just empty screw holes. 

I take that there aren't any readily available alternatives to the new factory latches? Aftermarket parts or bits of other old Jap cars that will work?

Yep, The new latches are not cheap. $55 per latch. But they are 510 specific. And finding used parts specifically for a two door are not going to get any cheaper either. As these car have become more collectible, less two doors are getting parted out. I probably have a decent used set of them in storage. PM me and I can get you some. Pics..

As another option, I have always wanted to install power vent windows. Maybe you could do this to yours. Lots of mini vans have power pop out windows. I wonder if they can be adapted. Maybe you can pave the road on this modification and then write a how to for the rest of us, just a thought.

Not necessarily, I am looking for an alternative to the outrageously expensive stock ones. I was hoping someone would point me in the direction of another source for the part, or a way of fabricating or modifying another part to fit my car. Also, I was wondering whether $100 a set was a normal price for the latches.

There are similar hinges on the 720 KC, not sure if they would work or not.

I might have a pic..............somewhere

EDIT

Latches that is....

Yep, The new latches are not cheap. $55 per latch. But they are 510 specific. And finding used parts specifically for a two door are not going to get any cheaper either. As these car have become more collectible, less two doors are getting parted out. I probably have a decent used set of them in storage. PM me and I can get you some. Pics..

As another option, I have always wanted to install power vent windows. Maybe you could do this to yours. Lots of mini vans have power pop out windows. I wonder if they can be adapted. Maybe you can pave the road on this modification and then write a how to for the rest of us, just a thought.

I would do that, but my electrical system is in need of some pretty serious service before anything electrical works reliably. I don't think that would go well.

55 bucks or so for a 40 something year old window latch is not outrageous ! most used ones ive seen arent much cheaper and look pretty bad.

True, its understandable that a 40 year old part would be expensive, but when a new water pump for a 510 is 15 bucks, it seems pretty like crazy money.

with enough creativity you can make almost anything work.  will it look good ??? 

will it function correctly ??? 

will it be a good alternative for the 100 dollar stock made to fit ones ones ??? 

I would personally buy the ones I linked and be done with that part of the car so you can move on to other problems 

I paid 120 for mine a while back a little more then I could have gotten them on line but they were in my hand and on the car the next day 

brand new and don't have to worry about failure for a long time 

• Like 1

Parts inexpensive for 510's..?     How long have you been into 510's?  Either you havent bought parts in 5+ years, or are new to them >.>

I tried searching a few years ago and couldnt find shit, got lucky to find a guy selling wing windows with the latches still on for 25 bucks.   You can always go to the ahrdware store and try to mock up your own latches. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...