Upgrading my amp, not sure about the alternator

EatLag

I have a 1000 watt sub and a poxy 350 watt amp and after awhile the amp gets so hot it melts the carpet, so in buying a 1000 watt amp, my alternator is only 50 amp, but their isn't much load on it as the heater does work so it's only really powering the lights and stuff like that will it be sufficient?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

50 amps is only 600 watts. (and this is revved up on a good day) 1000 watts is 83 amps and although you aren't drawing a continuous 1,000 watts it's going to eventually drain your battery. I would look for 90 -100 amp alternator or more. I have an S13 KA24E 90 amp on my L18 710 and a 2002 Altima 100 amp on my 710 goon. There was a Mercury Villager produced with a Nissan VG30 engine. One of the alternator options for it was a 120 amp alternator.

90 amp........ 1080 watts

100 amp...... 1200 watts

120 amp...... 1440 watts (measures at 12 volts, at a running 14.5 it would be much higher)

I would get that amp up off the carpet on something so air can get under it. Mounted on a wall will help as the heat will cause convection currents and cool it. If it's under the seat move it.

i agree, upgrade alt. but also i wonder bout sub setup. sounds like u have it connected wrong, make sure the amp is seeing correct ohm load. saturn alt work pretty good too. deep cycle only helps for when stereo is on and  engine off. remember alts r rated at high rpm and not idle, 50a is more like 30a most of the time.

Damn :( well I have a Nissan z24, I was thinking about a deep cycle battery that puts out 50ah because it won't be blaring 247

Look at the battery as a sink, the amp as the faucet and the amps as the drain. Now if you are putting in less that you are taking out, replacing the sink with a bath tub is still going to run out. And surprisingly fast too.

Years ago I had a 521 and the alt. output is just under 30 amps. I put i a set of the new halogen headlamps and as I had a huge group 27 battery sufficient for cranking 400 cu in engines and larger figured everything was fine. Drove around one night in the bush with the high beams on and by mistake shut it off. The battery was dead. The head lights had drained the battery and the truck was running on a small trickle charge from the running alt.  

:/ upgrading the alternator is out of the question because I only bought a brand new one about 2 months ago what if I got a dual battery system with 2 deep cycle 50ah batteries?

You will just be prolonging how long it takes to run out. For the price of a new battery you can get a used KA alternator. Keep the Z24 alt for back up or sell it.

• Like 1

That only helps if you have an isolator.  Frankly, I think you will be fine, or blow up the alternator before you actually kill the battery from stereo use.  This is coming from someone with a stock 90a alt with a JBL BPx2200.1 pushing a 1600w rms Adire Audio Brahma sub, CDT components run with a bi amp active setup off of two RF 500a2 amps...running the same alt & battery for 10 years.

I run 2 500watt amps(I didn't feel like dropping 200+ on an amp) to a pair of 12" pioneer champion series at about 1000 rms watts, maxed out they dim my headlights to about 2/3rds power with stock alternator.

You should grab a capacitor

You should grab a capacitor

A capacitor doesn't make power, it can store power during low points between power peaks and hand it back, but that's it. Bottom line is, a 50 amp (600) watt alternator (assuming you don't run the headlights, heater, wipers) isn't going to run a 1,000 + watt amplifier continuously.

• Like 1

i agree with datzenmike im running the 60 amp alternator with a 2200 watt series capacitor and 1100 watt amp pushin 2 10s on my 84 720 and the alternator is slowly dieing been hearing a whine coming form it lately. anyone know which alt will fit with minimal modifications other than the pulley really wanting to upgrade it, plan on adding a push bumper and fog lights sometime so will need the extra power

use what you have and carry jumper cables and a tow rope because its a matter of time before you will need it 

if I had 1000 in the bank and deposited 30 every day but spent 100 every day it wont take long before I need the tow rope 

upgrade the alt in incognito so your pops wont kill you