New here

Brain

After a couple of months looking at this forum I decided to finally register. I'm from Quebec, Canada where the Datsuns are….pretty rare!

i'm the pround owner of a little 510 that I bought last summer from a guy who imported it from California. I also bought (last week) a 720 witch is coming home and I should get next week. Unfortunately, since it's winter here I will not have the chance to drive it until next summer….

I have some minor problems with the carbs on my 510 (running too rich and very hard on idle) and since we are about 2-3 owners in Quebec, I've decided to come here to get some help. I'm a noob with carbs….but I want to learn…..

Oh…and sorry for my english….french is my spoken language

B7D2C2D6-6D4F-46BC-930A-C09B5C83557E_zps

DD95C27D-AA5A-4F0C-8839-A2FF24681141_zps

_57_zpsa5f3fe3d.jpg

on it's way to his new home:

1507578_10201510366430014_1282806004_n_z

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, really, like the 720!!! Black and gray and the rims compliment it perfectly. Why can't more people be like this? Looks like an '81-'82 but the hood vents are missing on the sides... the smaller grills added in the middle are interesting... I usually don't like that sort of thing. The 510 looks very straight also. Yes I understand winter having spent much of my life in Upper Canada just above Lake Ontario. Had a brand new '76 B-210 that lasted about 6-7 years before the salt rotted it away. 

You mention carbs not carb so maybe a picture of them? Probbly Hitachi SUs and we have lots of owners with them on a variety of motors.

here a pic of the engine (car is stored at the moment i'll get closer ones next week)

My problem is that at idle the car runs smooth but very rich in gas (fumes when i press gas). As soon as i put the car in drive…engine runs very high in rpm. I turned the 4 little screws on the carbs…but I just can't find the perfect adjustment...

D55026AB-D2E0-4A23-BAB1-FAD4B5DBA148_zps

Look like L16SSS carbs and manifold. Sealik will probably chime in on this. Both carbs have to be synchronised so that they are drawing the same amount of air, or one will be doing more work than the other at idle. Then the idle speed can be set. It's almost an art.

Automatica are great survivors. They are hard to abuse so they last longer.

Look like L16SSS carbs and manifold. Sealik will probably chime in on this. Both carbs have to be synchronised so that they are drawing the same amount of air, or one will be doing more work than the other at idle. Then the idle speed can be set. It's almost an art.

Automatica are great survivors. They are hard to abuse so they last longer.

twin carbs is an art. haven't mastered it yet myself... get a unisync and a colortune. should make short work of it

I just know Doug will say get a wide band. It is the ultimate in tuning at all speeds and throttle position. But depends if you are going for perfection or not. Generally you can tune by ear and plug color and it's close to an art form..