510 poly bushing kit

mattyhacks71

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a race car yes. Poly is almost the same as replacing with aluminum it's so stiff. There is the real risk of snapping the tension rods with poly.

Street car... use rubber where ever possible.

Rubber is gripped and held by both moving parts and provides some desirable flex or 'give'.

Rubber absorbs unwanted noise and vibration

Rubber is long lasting and quiet.

Race car... use poly where comfort and wear/expense are not an issue.

Poly is very firm, even extremely firm. It removes undesirable flexing between suspension components under severe racing conditions not usually experienced on the street.

Poly's lack of flex means that it cannot grip two components and flex internally and so must rub against one of them producing annoying wear and squeaks. (they can be lubricated)

Poly transmits vibration and noise and could be describes as a harsher ride than rubber.

Poly used on tension rod bushings limits up and down motion and has led to catastrophic failure of the tension rod.

Datsun Competition sold poly tension rod bushings that had a joint in them. They still show up on eBay from time to time.

TC Kit

15865.jpg

Those aren't polyurethane, they are a plastic "ball" and an aluminum cup.

Experimental Engineering sells an improved version.

159exp_eng_tc_kit.JPG

Check Dave's ebay store:  http://stores.ebay.com/Mr-510s-Store

Or if he is out, here is his price list with his contact info:

EE_BROCHURE_PG_2.JPG

www.Rockauto.com carries quite a few of the bushings in OEM rubber/steel style if you have not checked there yet.

"The problem is the availability of the rubber bushings. Mike do you know where I could order a kit of the same volume but in rubber?"

....................................................................................................................................

Note sure of a kit.....but you can buy the (front end) rubber bushings from Moog

I recently bought TC rod bushings, LCA bushings and a sway bar kit.

P3080003_zpsb2ba8ad0.jpg

I believe all were manufactured in Japan.

I also have that EE kit installed on another set of rods.....but...the cups are broken/worn