Flex plate R&R 710 Wagon

74datsun710

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The torque converter could possibly be spaced with washers. Can anyone imagine some beefy washers, or spacers that would carry the weight between engine and torque converter. If so, and assuming the starter does engage, you may have a usable flex plate.

You may not get much in the way of warning when those bolts loosen, or sheer.

Is this ridiculous?

Hey there if you cannot get that flex plate working I have one that I used with my L-16 it is in great shape, I am only looking to get $35 shipped for it, let me know if this might fit your needs. I can provide pictures as well.

Will have to be from a late '71 or newer with a 3N71B JATCO automatic.

Will have to be from a late '71 or newer with a 3N71B JATCO automatic.

Mine was an auto....'72....no idea which one....I'll check tomorrow....the flex plate was in great shape and I'm not gonna use it.

Here it is......

IMG_5929_zps18c6c9d9.jpg

...and I believe these are the numbers you're looking for....

IMG_5926_zps0b48d9e5.jpg

....apparently it's been rebuilt also....

IMG_5928_zpsfb7c252d.jpg

I'll have to dig up the flex plate......it's around here somewhere.....let me know if you need it.

• Like 1

Found it.....

IMG_5940_zpsfba2aa57.jpg

IMG_5941_zps1b97d8ec.jpg

This is the worst part of the gear....

IMG_5944_zps08f749e2.jpg

IMG_5943_zps037cefb5.jpg

IMG_5946_zpsf8a2ac00.jpg

IMG_5942_zps7ae4dbe1.jpg

Even found the spacer if you need it.........

IMG_5947_zps718fc333.jpg

Let me know......

Might? still be available through Nissan?  Many years ago I had to replace the ring gear on my British Borg Warner,  Turns out that the complete Flex Plate and ring gear assembly cost less than the ring gear alone.  Demand pricing?  Plus I didn;t have to go through the first get a hydraulic press then freeze the flex plate and heat up the ring gear [oh did you get the alignment right] rigamorole.

So I am a newbie at transmissions and am going to R&R my flex plate for my 1974 Datsun 710 Wagon.  Is there anything that i need to know specifically before starting this project?  What to avoid?  Am I going to have to drop the entire transmission out to replace the flex plate?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Same...through me for a sec....

Thanks Triple240z, The flex plate I currently have is about in the same shape as the one you have but a little worse. I am going to remove the old one in my Datsun to see how bad and exactly  what is wrong with it.  I will definitely let you know if I need your flex plate.  Thanks for sending the photos!   

No problem.....glad to help

Not sure you can do that.....the angles cut in on the one side I think are factory to help the starter engage without messing up the teeth.....

The other side is a straight cut and I think it'll make one hell of a racket when the starter engages....

'74 710 L18 starter ring gear is 12312-A8600 and about $100 at dealer. It was used on all L4 and L6 automatics and standards through the Z24i in the D21 and WD21. You could easilt tap the one off a standard flywheel... cut yours off at the welds and have someone weld it back on.

About $160 for the 5 bolt flex plate assy from dealer.

Cheaper to find an auto flexplate from a '71 and up 510, early L16/L18 620, 610 or 710 automatic.