Got a REF ticket in California haha

Ok so I got a Ref ticket 2 weeks ago. Here is what happened

Well after the car show we have on Sat nights I decided to "blow out the engine it loads up(hehe)" after a night of putt’ in around. I was merging on CA-168 Freeway and where I get on there is a 1/2 Mile 2 lane on ramp that merges into one then on to the slow lane.

So I get on to the on ramp and floor it (its 1:30am nobody of on the freeway) well it has a few HP so it goes sideways a little but I have learn to control this. All of the sudden I see red and blue flashing lights up by the beginning of the freeway. So I let off the gas and pull over. Officer Ahole comes up to the car with the license and reg stuff. He asks do I know why he pulled me over, I said no. He says that he could not see the back of my car cause of all the smoke. I told him Ya my truck smokes a little, bad valve seats. He grumbled something and went to the colon mobile.

He comes back and marches me up the on ramp to try and show me he knows I was burning out. Well I’m not sure if it was me or allot of others that do this but you can’t tell mine from about 20 other sets of tire burn outs.

At this point he is a little mad and marches me back to the truck and asks me to open the hood. Well I told him the lever is broken I can’t (a lie but I know my California rights). He asks if he can try, since the lever is still in the truck I said sure why not. (it doesn’t work no cable you have to pull the little lever under the hood and then open as usual). So he tries and of course it doesn’t do anything. So he looks under the truck and see the 2 headers hanging under the truck.

He then tells me to get back into the truck and sit tight. So I get back in and sit.

So after about 20 mins he comes back to the side of the truck and tells me that he can tow the truck and could give me a ticket for this and that. Then asks about the dash and says that’s all custom has it been tested for Speedo accuracy. I told him I have a receipt and proof it had been checked and adjusted 3 months ago. He says where I pulled out the receipt and showed him. He then writes on his clip board and hands it to me and says sign this please, I look at it and it’s a ticket for a modified engine (other wise known as a REF ticket).

I told him that it’s a 72' pick up and that you can pretty much do what you wish with it. He goes on about how you can’t and what not. So I don’t argue with him because it’s been about 45 mins sitting on the side of the freeway and he is not going to tow it so I’m good (we have a lawyer in car show that’s always offering help with HOT ROD tickets).

So went home, next day called the lawyer guy and he tells me take it to the ref it will be no problem. I was like are you sure he says yes in California they don’t even bother with pre 76 cars.

So I made an appt. with the REF and had it yesterday. He looked at the truck and he looked at the paper work I got from the courts and he gave me a printed out document that stated this vehicle under some VC code is smog exempt in the state of California. He tells me that to avoid this harassment from cops in the future to reg the truck as a classic hot rod through the DMV they will give you a special plate.

I leave and go straight to the court house turn the paper work in and the lady at the cage tells me to hold on she has to get her supervisor. So I wait like 10 more mins and then she and her supervisor come over and talk to me about what the REF says. She says ok staples the paper work together and says $10 admin fee. (A bunch of BS but whatever).

So that’s my little story about my run in with captain ahole and his colon mobile. Will I do drive down this on ramp like this again YEPPERS sure will and I will look allot more carefully for cops before I step on it. So basiclly he had nothing better to do and thought he was going to get me for allot of stuff. I guess he could have gotten me for my HID headlights to but i had turn them off before he got to the side of the truck.

All of the times I have been pulled over in this truck I have never gotten a ticket but I guess I never took off so fast near a cop. Most cops want to BS and talk about what's been done to the truck, Oh well.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i just love these stories from cali they'er so fucking crazy with their (resistance is futile you will be asimalated) (we are borg) bullshit. ratsun needs a special section for this cali stuff so i can find it and read it over and over. kills me.

tell him his cop car has been modified.:D

even when we had inspections i oklahoma...

i got my 68 inspected with no reverse lights, no mirrors, and open exhaust :)

later,

Chris

All you need in the town I lived in in Colorado was a VIN inspection to make sure all 3 VIN numbers on the car were the same. Other than that there's no safety, smog, or anything.

what a great story, good to know about the whole hood and ref thing too. man the sky is the limit with a pre 75 car. by the way, your truck is superbly badass 327 and all.

Pre '75 you mean pre '76, 75 and older is good to go unless they changed that again in the last 6 months??

anyways nice story, there is always one a#$hole of a cop that wants to come down hard on us just having a little fun, no harm no foul as I always say but they are there to "uphold" the law right?

I remember one time I had gotten pulled over because I didn't have a front license plate and that the rosiere beads that was hanging on my rear view mirror was impeding my vision can you say B$%S$%T stop!!!

Living in cali sucks all together and I have been contemplating on moving out hopefully when my kids are grown and I want to buy a nice property somewhere you can be left alone.

I too have been pulled over and harassed. I am certified pre smog. I have the only 73 kc in cali lmao. I got the whole dot cop called on me. Until I tiold him my shit was a 73 then he looked at me and told me to get out of here. I do not give a shit what any cop says pre-smog is any motor I please and when cali changes that then I am out.

I too have been pulled over and harassed. I am certified pre smog. I have the only 73 kc in cali lmao. I got the whole dot cop called on me. Until I tiold him my shit was a 73 then he looked at me and told me to get out of here. I do not give a shit what any cop says pre-smog is any motor I please and when cali changes that then I am out.
Actually, to the best of my knowledge, you're still legally required to meet a bunch of stupid C.A.R.B. regulations (i.e. you still don't have an "uncontrolled" vehicle, you just don't have to smog it). Technically, you or the original poster could be required to meet certain regulations still.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

Scroll to the bottom for "Exemptions for Uncontrolled Vehicles" (a categorie which most of us do not fall into).

Yeah, I think the regs are stupid, and I'll be breaking them most likely, but I wouldn't go running my mouth around any law enforcement that might take their job a little too seriously ;)

Actually, to the best of my knowledge, you're still legally required to meet a bunch of stupid C.A.R.B. regulations (i.e. you still don't have an "uncontrolled" vehicle, you just don't have to smog it). Technically, you or the original poster could be required to meet certain regulations still.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/replace.htm

Scroll to the bottom for "Exemptions for Uncontrolled Vehicles" (a categorie which most of us do not fall into).

Yeah, I think the regs are stupid, and I'll be breaking them most likely, but I wouldn't go running my mouth around any law enforcement that might take their job a little too seriously ;)

Yes technically you do have to have all the Smog equipment on the motor as it came from the factory. Another reason I was sweeting bullets but the REF didnt even look under the hood. He knew what was going on and Im sure he didnt want the paper work involved either. Also just so you know if you do swap a motor into a car it should be Technically a same year or newer than the vehicle it goes into.

Its also a California Law. I have a few buddys that have jeeps with Chevy 350's, LS1's and they have had problems with a year earlier block.

Good story, sounds like something that would happen to me.. Wheel spin in front of cops, my favorite tasty style!

Oh BTW, lets see a post of the EF Hatch in the Off Topic section!!!

Im not sure I want to do a complete post for the EF but a few pics of it anyway.

driverfront.jpg

passfront.jpg

side.jpg

Damn I dont have any pics with the Greddy Trubo in it. Ill get some and upload them.