Please help! Light problems!

barricade88

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The smaller is the turn signal the larger one is for the 4 way emergency flasher. Look nearby there will be a similar two wire plug to whats on the other flasher.

4239B9D4-055B-4699-A785-9F9BB4557217_zps

This is only the plug on the harness end. The other half goes to the headlight switch. Those wires need to be more secure than that.

To remove the headlight switch first unplug this. Then...

Pull the switch out to the headlights ON position.

With needle nose pliers, grip low down on the stem below the knob, tightly,

Push the knob inward towards the dash while holding the stem tightly and twist.

The headlight knob will disengage and lift off,

Don't loose the spring.

Loosen the nut securing the stem to the dash

Push switch through the dash and recover on the other side.

Instalation is the reverse of this.

• Like 1

you'll want to repair the green wire in the pic of your switch. with only a couple strands of wire in there like that it is going to create resistance, which will create heat. it wouldn't suprise me a bit if that was the cause of the problem to begin with

• Like 1

The flashers back then were load dependent. The more lights you added, like a trailer and the flasher would speed up. If a bulb should burn out the flasher will run slow or not flash at all. Newer ones are and electronic timer set to a specific speed and will flash one or 10 bulbs the same speed. When I'm in the junk yards I grab these and put them in my Datsuns. Because they don't have to heat up to make and break contacts I think they last longer.

The flashers back then were load dependent. The more lights you added, like a trailer and the flasher would speed up. If a bulb should burn out the flasher will run slow or not flash at all. Newer ones are and electronic timer set to a specific speed and will flash one or 10 bulbs the same speed. When I'm in the junk yards I grab these and put them in my Datsuns. Because they don't have to heat up to make and break contacts I think they last longer.

Good call, yet another part added to the "might as well grabs few while we're here list"

Volvo lock knobs (240 very similar to 620 too)

Grade 8 hardware

After market anything (almost)

Hood prop clips

Factory fuel line clamps

Occasional electric fuel pump if it's clean

Bosch LH injectors...

...modern flasher relays

I never advocate stealing so don't forget to take all these out of your pockets when you're checking out

Both.   The plug is different and only 75-on were backlit.

I'm not 100% sure that all 75-79 switches are the same, but as I don't have readable parts manuals I'm not sure.  There were a fair number of wiring harness connector changes bewteen 74-75, and again between 75-76 and 77-78.  I seem to recall that the one I had from a '77 would NOT work in my '78, but maybe that was just the turn signal switch.

• 2 months later...

Ok so 1973 truck.

I swapped my cluster lights to LEDs. I broke the spade off the RH T/S circuit and hard soldered the wire to the board.

All new fuses in box, new T/S and hazard relays. New electronic ones that stay constant.

Lower 10A fuse (close to door) Keeps blowing. When it goes, I loose t/s lights, and dummy lights.

New fuse, got it working, when I pressed DOWN on the dash pad, the (dummy) and fuse went out again. Slight smell of burning?

Battery grounded to engine, battery grounded to rad, headlight harness grounded to rad w/ battery. Fuse link is good.

Hanes manual:

10A goes to headlight switch (which works and my dash and headlights light up)

then goes to the cluster no. 4 pin

no. 4 pin runs the I.L. (illumination?) on both gauges, the clock (I don't have one) and it looks like the grounds for the turn signals? 

I dont understand how the cluster gets power, it seems from that fuse. I understand how all the dummy lights ground out to show they are on (e-brake, low oil) but the only thing I can guess is the I.L. powers those lights?

I dont know? haha

Im going try swapping my old cluster in w/ filament bulbs. I am a little confused where to go now.

Edited by ohmrchristopher
  • Like 1

New fuse, got it working, when I pressed DOWN on the dash pad, the (dummy) and fuse went out again. Slight smell of burning?

I would start here. Pushing down on the dash, blowing fuse and burnt smell narrows it down, don't you think? Take the dash cluster out and look for a pinched or bare wire. Maybe that soldering job you did?

What are the dummy lights?

• Like 1

I would start here. Pushing down on the dash, blowing fuse and burnt smell narrows it down, don't you think? Take the dash cluster out and look for a pinched or bare wire. Maybe that soldering job you did?

ohmchristopher said [underline added]

"I dont understand how the cluster gets power, it seems from that fuse. I understand how all the dummy lights ground out to show they are on (e-brake, low oil) but the only thing I can guess is the I.L. powers those lights?"

Ok, so because I ran a 15A fuse rather then the 10A the next thing went, the circuit on the cluster. Fixed that.

I had a a body ground on the ALT Negative by mistake, I moved it back to the radiator.

Now the fuse blows when I turn the headlights on. It used to blow with the truck running, so I think that was the above fix.

AFTER the fuse blows, I can cycle the head light switch and I notice the t/s indicator lights *blip*

When I cleaned up the wiring, I took the ground from the DIST RELAY and cut it off the light harness and ground it to the body, is this an issue?

If it is Ill just have to re connect it. :/

Yeah idk with the pushing down, I dont have any bare or loose wires so I think maybe it was a coincidence?