road worthiness on modified Ratsuns - Qs

Hi guys,

Im troubled with numerous questions as to what is established for a roadworthy truck.

I have one sitting at my shop since 3 months and havent got much done on it. Mostly patching rust holes, cleaning off grease/ dirt and installing hockey pucks :). Down the road I will inevitably have to safety my truck. I just dont know how anal the inspector can be.

So just so you know as much as me: the truck is weber carb, smogged, has bucket seats, electric choke, a custom thick ass 4th leaf spring and 2in blocks in the rear. Now i gotta get the dash gauge cluster working, tune the carb, check all the rubber parts, wiring, lights, install a coolant overflow canister, etc.

Eventually, I wish to swap my engine, bag, stock floor body drop, convert to ball joint.

With all that said, at what point would you guys consider all the outstanding mods and how worth is your truck afterwards? I understand all the liability related to modifications but am still leaning towards doing it. Without giving names, I noticed all the big builds being "daily driven", but what does it really imply?

I know TLDR, but Its pertinent for everybody

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We do not have roadworthy inspections in the USA. A very few states do safety, for example Hawaii has a safety inspection but is is just lights and tires.

We have the freedom to do most mods and also along with it the responsibility to be safe. I'm not aware of any crashes caused by poor modifications, so in practice its not a significant safety issue.

Daily driven is pretty open to interpretation really.  My car is lowered a little bit on stock height struts and it bangs through every good size bump and it is somewhat annoying to me .. We went over to Jdongs shop awhile back and he rolled up dragging his Mazda 2200s frame and it sounded like a train wreck driving by and the baggers like him are completely cool with that... To each his own as to what daily means,, but if you ask any honest slammed car or truck driver they will tell you the lower it goes the worse it rides.

Fun isn't always practical but practical isn't usually fun.

:)

Roadworthy should include:

All safety devices the vehicle came with. Seat belts, ALL exterior lighting without mods to them like impropper HIDs, shaving or darkening the lenses (WTF is up with that anyway? Who doesn't want the other asshole to not see you in the dark?? Morons I guess) All mirrors, unbroken glass in place, working door handles (not shaved unless you don't mind NOT being pulled from a flaming wreck) No holes in the body, wheels inside the fenders.

Brakes working (improved upgrades as long as front/bear bias is unaffected)... must have working E brake.... duh!!!

Horn must work.

Emergency and turn signal flashers working. Speedo and gauges working.

Good tires.

Drive train? .... whatever you want.

There used to be a video of some dick draggin' some frame. Naturally the vehicle won't turn and it came close to going over the edge on an embankment.

For a suspension to work it must have travel.

Lowering limits travel, even more if without bottoming.

Stiffer spring rate and shocks limit bottoming but may compromise ride quality.

Your tire is an integral part of the suspension, handling and ride. 

Most may get one or two above right.

Mike, does BC have annual Roadworthy inspections?

I don't think so. Not where I am. Some locations have emission testing but that's about it. If you come from out of province with a car, then yes to get insurance then you're good. Done this twice at least.

One car a '90 Sundance (my dad's) has 18K kms on it and is in better shape than all cars up to 2001 but was failed for rust on the brake lines. Are you F'n kidding me????? I painted them flat black... passed.

Mike, does BC have annual Roadworthy inspections?

No...but the DOT set's up random roadside checks.

You do not want to get pulled over....they're assholes....and they will find something.

If they see any frame modifications without the proper papers certifying the work was done to 'code'.......you could be screwed