Chrome rocker trim ID help and WTB

HKS

I assumed all trim panels were the same but when i purchased one from a seller on ratsun I recieved a piece that was similar in size and djinensions but uses a plastic plug on their sides rather than tapered like the one i need. The one on my 71 has the tapered ends but most recent one ive seen being sold by someone who has a 72 has the plastic plugs. Can someone confirm what year models came with the tapered end pieces as shown in the photos.

BTW i am looking for 1 piece (driver side) although it doesnt matter if driver or passenger of someone is selling a straight piece let me knowtrimrecieved_zpsb66b1584.jpg

Unidentified year piece I purchased online

Picture0021_zps83b074d4.jpg

Rubber end pieces from same type of trim

OEMtrim_zpsf6149a42.jpg

Passenger side piece currently on the car tapered (Need the same one for the driver side)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not 100% sure but I think the factory replacement parts will have the plastic plugs on the ends. The hood trim is similar from what I have noticed, rolled edges on parts that came on the car, but later factory replacements had the end plugs.

This is the case. Any "new" trim pieces bought after a certain point came with black plastic capped ends. Much cheaper to produce the the factory rolled ends. All cars had rolled ends from new. 

What body style?  I have a mint pair of rocker trims for a wagon.

They are all the same length. 

I assumed all trim panels were the same but when i purchased one from a seller on ratsun I recieved a piece that was similar in size and djinensions but uses a plastic plug on their sides rather than tapered like the one i need. The one on my 71 has the tapered ends but most recent one ive seen being sold by someone who has a 72 has the plastic plugs. Can someone confirm what year models came with the tapered end pieces as shown in the photos.

This is the case. Any "new" trim pieces bought after a certain point came with black plastic capped ends. Much cheaper to produce the the factory rolled ends. All cars had rolled ends from new.

For sedans and goons...

Up to January '72 the molding was closed round ended and part # 76482-21600

After January '72 the molding is open ended and part............... # 76482-N1600

I'm not 100% sure but I think the factory replacement parts will have the plastic plugs on the ends. The hood trim is similar from what I have noticed, rolled edges on parts that came on the car, but later factory replacements had the end plugs.

Hood top trim molding to Jan '72.......... 62450-21001

Hood top trim molding from Febn '72.... 62450-N1600 gotta figure...

HKS & datsunfreak, buy the heavy duty cardboard tube (not a standard poster tube).  Sometimes you can get a freebie from a picture framing shop cuz they receive artwork in them all the time. Bottom line, charge the buyer for the tube.........it ensures that it will arrive in one piece!

• Like 1