1975 4X4? second datsun first 4x4 datsuns shall rise!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best bang for your buck would be to get some aggressive tires and good body armor. Bigger would be better but not a requirement. You'd be surprised how these lil rigs go on the trails with just a nice set of knobbies and maybe a rear locker. Body armor (bumpers, sliders, n skid plates) would be a very good idea to keep that sexz lil rig looking good and by not getting crazy with trying to lift it you keep it streetable. A winch would be another fantastic investment!

Nailed it.

Listen to this man Datquick.

so if i got front Dana 44s? do i take the rear off the same truck? do i take that tranny and drivelinesw and all that stuff,? or can i use my trannyy? would i have to mount my stuff to that fram or will that stuff mount up to my tranny and crossmember and alxes will go in without no problem and steeerin crap will that all be fine?

If possible , yes. Take both front and rear from the same rig. That way you are getting a gear matched set of axles.

You can take the springs , drag link , tie rod , drive lines etc. You won't need the transmition or T-case.

Don't consider a frame swap , you don't need it. You own a Datsun 4x4 frame.

i want stuff that i can bolt up and go and not have to do anything? will this stuff just bolt up?

The answer is NO.

You have one of the best starting points to a Datsun 4x4, A dealer prep. The HOLLY GRAIL OF Datsun 4x4's....

BUT : All suspension conversions that you want to do are going to require fabrication of some degree.

Because this was not a rig offered  by Datsun / Nissan ever  as a factory option, there isn't,  and never has been any  factory support.

Other than the stock parts that were retained after the original conversion was done.

You said earlier that a carb swap is too much $$$.

Everything else mentioned since is going to run you a lot more.

I'd say get that engine running right. Either tune the hitachi or save up for the weber, get electronic dizzy if you don't have one. Do some reading about cams and headers then forget about doing that... ;)

Gear you axles better. 32" is already a big tire, your truck is extra light weight compared to most 4x4 rigs you'll be passing in the mud.

If there's no locker setup for the H190 just rig you're E-brake to let you pull a lever and drag the spinning wheel. Locker for front should be easy (dana30)

Then just invest in some Mud Terrain and GO!

If you need to lift more get your springs re-arched or find some that fit and have more arch. Longer shackles might help.

Just keep in mind that eventually you'll start to need new steering components when the axle , frame, and body start to get further apart.

You can re-gear your current front axle to 4:88 and you can get an 320 or 520 4:88 gear set for the h190 rear you currently have with a little searching or a wanted ad in the classifieds (that's how I got mine). I am running 35" tires and can cruise down the freeway with ease.

Gonna go against the grain here....

I would suggest getting it running reliably and the take into the woods and see what it will do before you make any modifications. You might be surprised at what it will do. Then you will have a real good idea what to upgrade next.

You should also invest in some rocker protection and bumpers before you get to crazy, my truck is kinda tall but I my rocker guards have already done their job.

• Like 1

i appreciate everything you guys have told me and the weay you treat me, i no i sound like a winy bitch and retard most of the time but i just want the best for my truck and to have something work for a change, now do guys no that its a dana 30 front and t case gearing is dana 20? or h190 os something? is that a fer sure? what about the rear? i am soo confused i feel like a dumb shit?

so the front axle and back axle have gearing? and so does the t case? or not? the t cse leads to front right? i hate askin dumb question but i dont no that ansswer, thannks you guys for being patient with me like i said i know nothing about 4x4s  and i need to order a fuel pump mine quit and doesnt fil up the bowl anymore unless the lines from tank to fuel pump are clogged which i highly doubt and havent heard of,

Would be fun. Maybe something this summer. My truck needs some work still too. Mostly getting my front and rear, rear end ratios matching. My truck came with a 4.27 Dana 30 in the front, and Datsun 4.65 in the back.

Binds up in 4wd. From what I've read, quite a few of these were built mostly for looks, like mine.

Might want to check and see what you have under your truck for ratios?

• Like 1

I guarantee that you have a Dana 30 front and a Dana 20 T-case.

Shifter tells me the T-case is a 20. And you're pic of the front of the truck shows a 30 front axle.......

Have a great Thanks Giving. All of you guys. Stay safe.

• Like 2

all i need to get mine goin is a fuel pump, i think it doesnt wanna fill the glass bowl or whatever no fuel is coming out if the lines so fuel pump then plugs and oil change and what not then i am ready to go i have never had it runnin gso not sure if breaks or clutch neeeds going thru  andand box car i trust you but how do i check for ratios? should it say somewhere on the axle?

and a wheelin trip would be bad ass, now do you guys no do all 4 tires go or only 3? or 4 when you stomp on it or? whats lockers for? i have heard of lockers but dont understand why i need them and can lockers be in and still go and drive on the strreet and around town or is that bad?

Would be fun. Maybe something this summer. My truck needs some work still too. Mostly getting my front and rear, rear end ratios matching. My truck came with a 4.27 Dana 30 in the front, and Datsun 4.65 in the back.

Binds up in 4wd. From what I've read, quite a few of these were built mostly for looks, like mine.

Might want to check and see what you have under your truck for ratios?

where will it tell you ratios? will i have totear anything apart to find out? :(

Happy to help Brother! Just take your time and research everything. Google really can be your friend! There are pages that can help you identify which axles you have. Focus on getting it running good and driving safely. Trying to understand everything at once is way to overwhelming.

Ooh, and I am soooo down for a Datsun wheelin trip!!!

• Like 1

red eye you are prety close to me maybe wheeen your not busy one of these weeekends and have some freee time we can meeet up or i can give you gas to come down here and help me out.? probablky asking to much but i have a 72 year old room mate and a 66 year old room mate both vietnam veterans who are old and wont help :/

NICE FORD MAN ....................

and box car is the t case under the shifter to put it into 4 wheel drive or is that the rear axle? whats the rear axle? is it a Dana 30 to or something diff? I'm confused

The T-case is mounted between the transmission and the rear axle. It's the thing with the drive lines coming out of it.

You're rear is probably a stock Datsun.