1975 4X4? second datsun first 4x4 datsuns shall rise!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks Dealer prep to me.

Dana 30 front /  Datsun rear / Dana 20 T-case / long nose 4 speed. 6 lug / Stock steering box.

The T-case shifter is in the correct spot for a dealer prep.

You will have to re gear the rig for bigger tires. $$$$$

And trust me, not all dealer prep rigs are beutifull to look at underneath. Some were prety scaby.......

what do you m ean full on build? i would like to have a small block put in it but dont have the tools or welders and stuff and dont know anyone to help me or i could pay and help do it, i  dont think it would last til i geet a shop 15 years from now and have the abilit to buy machinery

the body mounts that are rusted om cuttin out and weldin new ones in and ahh ohk 07 jeepy cherokee box well would i have to do any mods or is it pretty much just a straight bolt on thing? and i love your truck man both you guys

No, I don't know of any stronger "bolt in" steering boxes. I think there are a few guys running 720 boxes. I chose the jeep for the faster steering ratio (2-1/4 turns lock to lock) and the pitman arm is longer so the truck can actually make some sharp turns now.

I also reinforced the frame around the box and added a new crossmember to replace the one that was cut out for axle clearance.

IMG_0798_zpsd6786676.jpg

IMG_0167_zps9ef0899e.jpg

A small block is probably the most expensive and worst upgrade you could think of in that rig.

What you need are new  gears. I'd guess you are running somewhere around 4.38's now.

What you are going to need are new axles. Dana 44's or Yotas. And 4.56 or better gears.

Then you're L-20 will push it fine.

Toyota IFS box. Is you're best bet for a steering box upgrade.

Webber's are under $300.

I'm just guessing that you're exhaust is worn out. I could be wrong , I haven't seen it yet.

A clean well thought exhaust system / electronic ignition and a good working carb are the 3 cheapest and best things that can be done to any older stock L-20B

Look. Take every subject mentioned here, and research each one individually on this sights search menu. Then go to a few 4x4 sights ( NOT PIRATE )

Get a good understanding of what you're rig is and what it can be.

Then decide what you can afford to do to it.

There is a lot to lurn . If it was cheap and easy everyone would do it and I'd be broke.....

Resurch........ Dana 44's were used in everything from Isuzu's to Vipers.

NOT FACTORY. Dealer prep. The dealers sent stock trucks ( 2 WD ) to job shops all over the country to have them converted to 4WD. Their are no factory 620 4WD's

Clarence is determined by tire size and lift.

what size tire are you guys runnin? you said you never have over 35s? well what size tire are you runnin? and what are 3 of the cheapest performance or beef up mods that i can do ?

My tires are 32-11.5/15. I really didn't want tall tires or my truck jacked way up in the air. My first choice was interco ssr radials in a 29-12.5/15 but at the time interco was in a merger with another company and had stopped producing tires :(

For performance mods a weber is a good place to start. A air fuel ratio gauge will make jetting a whole lot easier. Electronic ignition would also be a good upgrade.

My engine is a rebuilt l20b with l18 pistons and peanut head for additional compression. Isky 270-.475 cam and custom stainless tri-Y header into 2-1/4 exhaust. Will run circles around my old stock engine.

IMG_0884_zps1d2531f4.jpg

• Like 1

yea i no about htem not co,mig from factories but dealer sips and diff garages and i have a l20b u67 or a l20 with a80 somerthing not sure but i have two motors the 4x4 datsun i have is stock manifold and hitachi carb and old ignition my lowered datsun has l20 with long tube headers cannon side draft intake and 45 dhoc side draft weber and was converted to electronig igntion

My tires are 32-11.5/15. I really didn't want tall tires or my truck jacked way up in the air. My first choice was interco ssr radials in a 29-12.5/15 but at the time interco was in a merger with another company and had stopped producing tires :(

For performance mods a weber is a good place to start. A air fuel ratio gauge will make jetting a whole lot easier. Electronic ignition would also be a good upgrade.

My engine is a rebuilt l20b with l18 pistons and peanut head for additional compression. Isky 270-.475 cam and custom stainless tri-Y header into 2-1/4 exhaust. Will run circles around my old stock engine.

IMG_0884_zps1d2531f4.jpg

Nice...... I like the clean engine bay.

1979 - 1983 Toyota Highlux will be the best Toyota axles for you're truck as the width will be correct.

Dana's are cheaper and much more prevalent , but finding a 44 front in the width you need to keep you're stock stance is tough.

If you have you're mind set on BIG tires you are probably going to have to go 60" or wider 44's from a Scout #2 , 70's  Ford 1/2 tone PU , 1975 or later Jeep Wagoneer etc.

If you run 35's or smaller tires , the options are greater.

You can re gear you're Dana 30 front and replace the rear with a 1972 or later cj 5 - 7 or DJ-5  rear axle. A direct bolt up conversion.

Convert the new rear axle to 6 lug. and you are going to be fine.

If you have an A-87 ( square port ) head run the 1800 iron manifold , It flows great and isn't to hard to come by.

If you have a U-67 ( round port ) run a header. I will let you choose the brand .

• Like 1

IMG_0884_zps1d2531f4.jpg

man oh man you have such a nice motor and engine bay, no fair ":(

so if i got front dana 44s? do i take the rear off the same truck? do i take that tranny and drivelinesw and all that stuff,? or can i use my trannyy? would i have to mount my stuff to that fram or will that stuff mount up to my tranny and crossmember and alxes will go in without no problem and steeerin crap will that all be fine? i just dnt wanna have to do a bunch of fab work or modifying i dont have the tools for it, thanks for the info all of you guys you guys are smart as sh*t ,

i want stuff that i can bolt up and go and not have to do anything? will this stuff just bolt up?

Best bang for your buck would be to get some aggressive tires and good body armor. Bigger would be better but not a requirement. You'd be surprised how these lil rigs go on the trails with just a nice set of knobbies and maybe a rear locker. Body armor (bumpers, sliders, n skid plates) would be a very good idea to keep that sexz lil rig looking good and by not getting crazy with trying to lift it you keep it streetable. A winch would be another fantastic investment!

I've built my rigs to be trailer queens so I could go a lil nuts. I'm also trying to keep up with several "over the top" rigs. Couple custom buggies, Toyotas, Heeps, and guys that simply just beat the S out of their rigs! You can have just as much fun in a stock-ish rig in most terrains. Deep, DEEP mud and intense climbs might be out of the question but watching rigs attempt them is fun too. Not to mention you can learn from their mistakes.

Keeping your rig streetable is best for a young, novice wheeler. Getting crazy with your build leads to needing a tow rig and trailer. I've built my 720 and my trailer for around $6k total. Picked up a mid-90s F250 with a service body for $1,500. Not a diesel but a great score nonetheless. (I also have $3k worth of one ton axles and Chevy running gear waiting to be shoehorn'd into the 720!) I've done all the work myself and managed to score a lot of parts really cheap. Ya just gotta know what you are looking for... Building a Datsun wheeler isn't easy, but it can be done!

• Like 1

haha all that just makes me feeel like an idiot when you say that stuff makes me feel like a noob, i mean i am but im definanlty not retarded or incapable just dont kno shit about what fits what and what not, ive rebuilt motors and replaced about every part on rigs and motors and had a few old school cars and old school bikes as well as new fast 150mph + bikes i just had to sell al my stuff and learn the hard way, lost my mom from pancreatic cancer and my father from colen cancer, i am the last of my bloood and my family and generation there iss no one left, i am only 21 but had to grow up way to fast and learn most everything by myself the hard way,, i really have no one to help me along and tell me not necessarily what to do but give me a direction of where to head i yuh understandi grew up tinkering on rigs and what not but i will admit i know nothing about 4x4s this is my first

you seem like smart dudes and have sweeet rigs and many many more year sof experience more than me, but im a quick learner and great at many things considering welding and some fab work, nevcer have done any body work,

i just would like to go thru deep mud it doesnt have to be 20 feet tall just want to be able to hit just about any mud patch and have some fun doing it sling mud and not get stuck i no the trick is not to stop but i just wanna build it to the pooint where i can have some fun, not little mud puddles but mud holes

i thank you and all the guys for all the tips and hints and info and would like to possiblky meet up with you guys one of these days

i no builkding a wheeler isnt easy but i would like to do so, i am not givin up on it i havent given up on many things and espewcially life when i feeel likje sometimes i should have and i defiianntly wanted to but i am stsickin with it and not givin up on this truck, and am willing to struggle and over come obtacles like this. i love my first datsun the white one that slowered and i really love 4x4s so i am gunna enjoy this one twice as much, if i had someone lookin for me or with me it would help a substantial amount but like i said i dont have no one in my life just me myself i and the people of ratsun which have been very helpful including yourself

KISS! Kiss was explained to me years ago. Means, Keep It Simple Stupid! By no means is this meant as an insult, just a reminder that getting crazy with a build often leads to disaster.

Start slow! Brakes operating properly should be at the top, or near the top, of the list. Get your motor tuned up and running good. Drive train and steering maintenance. Then start with the options I mentioned earlier....

• Like 1

i mean yea my truck is rusty and has lots of issues and is dented and ugly and itll never change, everything i own is horrible pos compared to all your rigs and sweet trucks, i no i will never have anything nice but i guess i shouldnt be so hard on myself and learn to love what i have its not about what you have its how you own it and how you drive it

Yeah, knock that shit off! If nothing else the ratsun community is an amazing start! So much knowledge about our amazing lil rigs. I'm not much help when it comes to engines as I've only played with my Z22. My 620 didn't have a motor when I bought it. I assume that you are in the Puget Sound area. There are many Ratsun members around here. I'm over in Bremerton and love talking about wheelin!

• Like 1