Engine Question

PandaStar

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely check out the search option at the top right here.

Do you have emissions requirements where you live?

In the old mini truck days there were a lot of GM swaps.

I've talked to 1 member that did a VG swap. It didn't sound like a weekend project.

Early VG30i or VG30E from a D21/Pathfinder. Exhaust is a problem around the 620 torsion bars. You will need a high pressure fuel pump for the EFI or maybe the D21 tank will fit. Then all the EFI wiring and definitely the VG 5 speed or automatic.

A KA24E or KA24DE 4 cylinder would be easier and is well documented.

Definitely check out the search option at the top right here.

Do you have emissions requirements where you live?

In the old mini truck days there were a lot of GM swaps.

I've talked to 1 member that did a VG swap. It didn't sound like a weekend project.

I did search and did not find anything of use to my question.

Early VG30i or VG30E from a D21/Pathfinder. Exhaust is a problem around the 620 torsion bars. You will need a high pressure fuel pump for the EFI or maybe the D21 tank will fit. Then all the EFI wiring and definitely the VG 5 speed or automatic.

I know and it is also been done and done some more. Really looking at doing something very different.

• Like 1

I know and it is also been done and done some more. Really looking at doing something very different.

Regardless, you said....

What is a good light weight smallish nissan/datsun v6 that might make a good install in my 620? exploring options not sold on it yet just planning things.

Small, light, Nissan V6. There isn't anything else.

What about that tiny Mazda 1.8L V6 from the old MX3? Or maybe V6 with oddball super charger from the Millenia S?

They are both front drive so it's tougher.

I have a Jeep Dauntless 225ci V6. Makes pretty good power and the exhaust manifolds can exit the front of the engine to avoid torsion problems, but it is HEAVY (aka Buick odd fire V6)

Something I've been considering... But won't be doing I'm pretty sure...

http://www.acmeadapters.com/index.php

VW 1.9TDI with a Toyota 5spd behind it. I owned a 2003 Golf TDI and had good power and great mileage. It ought to get better behind a lighter vehicle

AND if I'm reading that site correctly the diesel adapter works on the gas engines too. They only talk about 4cyl but I think VR6 the same spacing and bolt pattern

• 3 weeks later...

Was wondering about this post. Yeah the 4s are well done. I think the newer V6s will end up not being as durable as the VG has been. Look at the shit cars out there today... where will they be when they are as old as your 620???? The motors barely get beyond warranty.

the VQ35's are a great engine, anthing VQ will last you forever. had a boosted maxima vq30 and that lasted up to 200k then i swapped it out for a VQ35 6spd. granted its all fwd it was still stupid fast! most rwd VQ swaps from the 240sx guys just take any fwd or rwd VQ and bolt up a 300zx tranny to it. they can hold up to 350whp stock. the exhaust might be a bit tricky but it would be plenty of power for anything as light as our trucks.

Panda, send a message to yello620. He did the VG3.0 swap in a 620 that turned out VERY nice. I will agree with the statement that it is NOT a weekend project! I helped with that one a little bit and rode in it when it was done.........AWESOME! IF you can get it to hook up, it hauls ass.

The VQ35 is a sweet motor. Wouldn't be as easy or as cheap as a VG though. 

VQs are tough, smooth, and pretty abundant.  

VQ35's have some major oil consumption issues.  Mostly 2003 and 2004.  Even the HR starting in 2006 had it's share of problems but a healthy one would make an awesome V-config swap.  Lot's of totaled 350Z's in junkyards too. 

Which VQs have oil consumption issues? The early leaking ones? 

Hammered or poorly-maintained VQs don't live long. 

I have seen many Maximas, Altimas, and Muranos with over 200K miles with oil level full after 5,000 mile LOF intervals. 

Lots of high-mileage Zs and Gs as well. 

Want to be bad ass? VQ37DE HR VVEL. Be a boss. Go big!