Greetings from Portland. New to the world of Datsun

Dylan Berichon

Greetings all.

I recently came into a 1980 720 longbed after years of exclusively owning Volvos.  The truck was free, so I wasn't going to say no to that!

The truck had been parked for about 4 years before I got to it.  Drained the old fuel out of the tank, changed the oil, replaced the ignition components and battery, and it started right up!

A couple of  youtube videos of getting the thing back on the road:

Since then, I've rebuilt the carburetor (to about 90% success, I'd say,) replaced the clutch master & Slave cylinder, and replaced the fuel filter (with an extra one I had on hand for my Volvo.)

I never realized how much I'd love having this truck.  The long bed is especially useful, as I can fit all kinds of stuff back there.

The previous owner had turned it into a "camper", with a well sealed up canopy.  He also put carpeted plywood down on the bed and along the walls of the truck.  (Under the wood, the bed is pristine.)  I think I will eventually rip all that stuff out though.

I still have a laundry list of things I need to do, most importantly the brakes.  The entire brake system needs to be rebuilt.  I was able to track down a NOS master cylinder but the rest of the parts haven't been as easy.  I also need to replace the front seat (the bench is totally shot).  Other things include suspension, exhaust and heater / AC controls.

One of my favorite upgrades so far can be seen here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAWF9j2sJpo

I'm sure I'll have a number of questions going forward, so I look forward to communicating with you guys.

If anyone in the Portland metro area knows a decent source for parts, do let me know.

Until next time...

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...