620's: What's your exhaust look like?? Routing ???'s

metalmonkey47

Trying to see how you guys are getting around come of the clearance problems of exhaust on a short bed 620. I'm gonna have to re-do mine soon, since when it was done about 1.5 years ago, I was much taller then I am now... It's beaten flat and caved in in some spots. rattles on the body, frame, etc. I scrape it everywhere.

Any suggestions on where to route it would be awesome. I'm looking to get this 100% replaced from header back in the next month or so. 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to see some too. Easily the lowest parts of my truck is the janky 30yr old 1.25" pea shooter running under my truck.

I'm sure it will be torn away by the first pine cone I roll over. I'll be replacing it soon and could use a couple pointers.

And what kind of muffling can I use to get a 1.6 L engine to sound tough?

I have a 2.5" downpipe from my turbo and I grounded the trans bellhousing a bit to have clearance there, then ran 3" back and over the frame and out in front of the left rear tire, I'll have to put up pics soon.  However, the clearance is decent.  Of course my truck isn't slammed, just have the torsion bars turned making it raked like crazy.

Wow awesome stuff guys!

Farmer, I saw how you did yours before and really dig it! It's too bad that my header collector comes out too low to do anything like that.

Dawa, yours looks fantastic! I'm hoping to get something setup similar to that... mine is tucked as close to the frame/crossmember as you can get from below but my biggest problem is still ground clearance. My pipe is SMASHED from going over speed bumps. 

if it were me, id ditch the header an get an L16 manifold and go over the frame. 

future proof at that point. 

its really the only way to do it where your arent going to smash the pipe on speed bumps, driveways and shit. 

Sadly not an option for my. I need lots of flow for my motor. Now I suppose if I had a hand made header with a collector a few inches higher, this would be much easier. 

I might try some of this stuff

http://www.spintechmufflers.com/oval-tubing/straight-lengths/cat_42.html

Not sure it gains me much in clearance but its cool.

Maybe too big for my stock L16?

I thought the very same thing....but damn that pipe is expensive. 

Yeah but I won't need much of it. Especially if I exit in front of the axle.

Really though I don't think my little engine needs or wants that much flow. The smallest is 2.5" I think. I feel I should stay under 2" judging by what's on there now and the bone stock condition of my L16

Yeah but I won't need much of it. Especially if I exit in front of the axle.

Really though I don't think my little engine needs or wants that much flow. The smallest is 2.5" I think. I feel I should stay under 2" judging by what's on there now and the bone stock condition of my L16

Let me know what you get I wanna do the exhaust on my truck in the near future.

i thought of oval pipe too and thought the same thing = expensive.

a few other notes:

-you need to calculate the total surface area of the oval pipe or else you will get too large of a pipe and youll lose exhaust velocity at some points in your exhaust which doesnt sound like a good thing.

-youll need to get the regular pipe to oval pipe connectors which is another thing to spend $ on

-i considered making/flattening round pipe, either with mallet or vise. i guess some guys fill it with sand to help absorb the impact or whatever so you dont over-do it and so u can do it in a more controlled manner.