Loren O's '72 521 -Found this out in the woods.

Loren O

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It will take a miracle to have it road - worthy in time. The engine isn't assembled yet, I have no idea what condition the brakes,& clutch hydraulc are in, still need to swap out the rear leaf springs for the 720 4 x 4 ones I have, add the lowering blocks, & adjust the front to match, maybe with a little "rake" . Plus I have a serious rust issue on the "shelf" behind the master cylinders, above the pedal assembly.

• Like 1

I got to go over & get some work done on my engine tonight. I got the block painted & the timing cover & 20140708_195325.jpg

engine block clear coated. Hopefully this will help get the ball rolling again. 20140708_193148.jpg20140708_195317.jpg20140708_195535.jpg20140708_203010.jpg20140708_203018.jpg20140708_194618.jpg

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Also, the 2 weber carbs I got with my engine are probably useless. The dgav is missing the choke "butterfly" plates, the connecting rod,& pretty much everything else related to the choke. The other carb is a weber 32 dmsa. It looks different. I don't know it the air filter adapter I have will fit on this carb. Is a 32 dgav even worth rebuilding

,& putting on my L20b? If only I knew of a dual SU setup I could afford to buy, I would just do that instead.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I always buy new carbs when I can. It saves a lot of headaches in the long run. If you go for SU's, I suggest buying, or having them re-done by Z Therepy or maybe one of the other SU builders. Mine were done by SU carbs.com. Good work, but it took him 8 months. I've got the Weber 38dges on the L20b, and I'm very happy with it after I properly tuned it and put the Weber fuel pressure regulator on it. The SSS SU setup equates to 2 38mm venturies like the 38dges. I'm not saying they perform the same, but the Weber is a lot easier to run as far as tuning goes.

• 3 weeks later...

I got to go over to my boss/friends' house & we worked on the L20b for this truck some more tonight. The crankshaft is in,& all bolted up, hopefully I will be able to get some more done this week. Here's some pics.20140902_193553.jpg20140902_191618.jpg20140902_191625.jpg20140902_191653.jpg20140902_185854.jpg20140902_190341.jpg20140902_190553.jpg20140902_190557.jpg

• Like 1

I assusme you but those wedges on the back rear bearing sides? The ones you jam down

Do you mean the rubber ones, with the metal strip inside? Yes, they're installed, I just didn't take a pic of that. Good call though.

• Like 1

So, I'm thinking, now would be a good time to install an oil spray bar for the top end. Where would I get one of these, or is it something that needs to be fabricated? How much should I expect to spend for one?

• Like 1

Ok, good to know. I was just thinking that as much time as it has taken to get this engine to this point,& the amount of money invested (it's been a lot for a salary like mine, anyway! ) I would like this engine to last as long as possible. If a spray bar is overkill, then I won't worry about it. Thanks guys!

• Like 1

If you are using an aftermarket cam, then you may need a spray bar.

The stock and re-grind cams (those that use OE cores) are gun drilled with oiling "ports" in the face of the cam lobes. If the cam doesn't have these holes you will need a spray bar. That is the only way enough oil will reach the wear pad on the rocker so it will live.

• Like 1

all the aftermarket cams I seen have these holes. Moderate cam profiles.

My Schneider is fine.

key is if cam has no plug in back then youll need a oiler.

I have a valve cover set up with a spray bar. I haven ran it you got to run a line from oil sender output to the valave cover. To me its another thing that can break.

Baz in Austraila has built tons of L motors and never mentions a spraybar on OZDAT

• Like 1

Loren I have a roller parts truck with a nice engine bay. Not sure how it can help with you rust issues but let me know.

Thank you! I have a patch panel lined up, but haven't been able to pick it up yet. If I end up needing any pieces, I will let you know.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't updated this in awhile. Things have been busy, & the engine for this truck has been on hold until after my friends wedding. I'm using his garage. I had some time, so I went up & cleaned up my 521. I washed it, used rubbing compound, & waxed it. I also finally got to apply the " Datsun " rocker panel stripe kit I bought 6 months or so ago. Here's some pics. The first one is a before pic.

Here's a pic of the truck after the work I did today. 20140706_181238.jpg

Very nice work... looks great!  I hope mine will buff out even half as nice... Where/how can I order one of these rocker panel stripe kits? 

Thanks

• Like 1

I bought them off eBay. I will try to find out the seller's site ,& let you know mine were designed for 510's,& other Datsun cars, but they work nicely on my truck. 3m vinyl, so they should last awhile. Went on really easily too.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My friend had a few minutes, so began installing the rods,& pistons. He found these 3 scratches . He is the careful type,& has built many engines. This is a re-ground crankshaft,neither the machine shop, or I noticed them beforehand.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if , when our delivery driver picked up these parts at our machine shop, if he picked up the core , instead of the new, re-ground crankshaft. Now we need to take it apart again, bring the crankshaft back to our machine shop,& get a different crankshaft. Bummer !

• Like 1