Loren O's '72 521 -Found this out in the woods.

Loren O

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Well, my friend has had the parts & the engine for a year now. We try to work on it whenever we can arrange time. The other day, he told me he's probably just going to finish it,& take lots of pictures, so I can post them here. It's getting to be time to bring the truck out of storage, & swap the new engine in. I still need to find a decent carburetor.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally something new to post here. A while back I bought a 520 driveline (one piece, with slip yoke) from Royal Sierra. Tonight I bought a dogleg 5 speed that he picked up from Joey (Kamakazi620). I also made arrangements to have my truck,& the 2 back halves moved from where they have been stored, down to ShawnDrawdy's place, so I can get to it more often to work on it. Shawn is going to do the rust repair on my truck, since he has plenty of expertise in that,& I don't know how to weld. I'll post some pics Sunday, after the truck is moved.

• Like 2

As promised, here are a couple of pics of my truck being moved to Shawn Drawdy's place to have the rust issues fixed, since I don't know how to weld. This is probably the first time it's moved in many, many years! I'm excited to get some progress going on this truck again! 20150118_093625.jpg20150118_110811.jpg

• Like 1

A pic Shawn took at his shop. My truck is apparently 11" taller than his. It looks like a monster truck from this angle! Not for long. Mine will be lowered too, but not as low as shawn's. Mine's going to be a daily driver. IMG_294309846860539.jpeg

• Like 1

I like Shawn Drawdy's Truck. It's WAY MORE work,& customization than I am capable of though. Mine will be a daily driver, so for me, the "respect the patina" motto will rule the styling influence.

Wayno, Shawn Drawdy is on Ratsun, I bet he has more pics of this truck on his profile. Here's the only other picture 9 it that I have.IMG_297896458702920.jpeg

• Like 3

Depending on how much you want to lower the truck, you can always get the 720 4X4 leafs out back too

Someone better grab the 4x4 leafs from the 720 at B n R eugene.....truck will probably go to crusher in a week or so......12-14 date on windshield. I'd get them 4 re-sell but I am overwhelmed already, and have little to no $$ to work with.

LIKE the truck u are massaging back into service....gotta find me a pre-620. I've never even driven/rode in a Datsun older than 74.

I'll find one eventually....very grateful 2 have the trucks I have.

U mentioned needing a carb. I have 2 factory Hitachi carbs....one off an 83z24(runner), other off 85z24(runner). 3-4 weber adapters. Help your build? pm me if so.

• Like 1

2013-03-18151919.jpg I've been posting about this truck in "post your 521" & "I've been thinking about buying this for awhile now." but it's been suggested I start a build thread,(which I was looking forward to doing anyway ),so here goes;

Here are some pics of it before I bought it:

2012-10-19115644-1.jpg this is from the day I went to look at it.

These are from sometime later:

2013-03-18151805.jpg 2013-03-18151834.jpg 2013-03-18151843.jpg 2013-03-18151903.jpg 2013-03-18152247.jpg 2013-03-18152355.jpg 2013-03-18152415-1.jpg 2013-03-18152415.jpg

These are from after I bought the truck;

My canopy will need some work. It needs new hatch struts,some new glass,& the wood paneling inside is ruined,so I'm going to insulate it,then cover that with mexican blanket. 2013-05-23142255.jpg

here's a picture of the truck waiting to be moved to my friends garage,so I can do the L20b & 5 speed swap. 2013-08-30192425.jpg

I'm still waiting for the engine,transmission,&2 weber carbs I bought for $100 from a NAPA customer of mine to be delivered.

They're in his shed,&he is going to use the boom of his excavator to lift them out,load them on a trailer & bring them to where I'll be doing the swap. Other than that I just waiting for my friends garage to clear out so I can get to work on it.

In the meantime, I've been collectin parts. Bought a rear window from Rocket dog, a grille from someone at the Canby Datsun show, I'm buying some 6 lug slot mags,with tires &an adapter so I can use the factory air cleaner with a weber carb,& a pair of Bumperettes/brackets from Taadj (with help from Hooligan finding them & getting a price). I want to thank all of them for helping me out with this stuff!

classifieds-37-0-89991300-1375047568.jpg

Looks similar to my find.....they could b sisters. Yea I will get pics. u still have the steel wheels?

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I called about a Craigslist ad awhile back, about some Datsun parts. I had only really planned on getting this valve cover, but I ended up also buying a Nissan Motorsport L4 cam(580°/278°),& will most likely be buying the nissan motorsport followers to go with the cam, when he digs them out. I spent most of the afternoon cleaning up the valve cover, & it still has a lot of work before it's done.FB_IMG_1425933315940.jpg20150309_144503.jpg20150309_182925.jpg

• Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How you know what size lash pads to get?????????Assume you have the retainers for tham also

Now you have me a little worried. I looked the cam up in the Nissan motorsport catalog, it showed which lash pads went with the cam. Then I called Nissan Motorsport & had them look it up also, they sent the correct lash pads (I hope). They did not have retainers, but told me I could use the stock ones. If This is incorrect, please let me know. Also, if I DO NEED different retainers, where can I buy them, since Nismo no longer has them? They also told me I can use the stock rockers, is this correct?

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I got to go over & do a little work on my truck this weekend. I am still waiting on a few things for my engine to be finished, so I couldn't do to much to the truck. I can hardly wait to get the engine in, get the truck lowered, & drive it!received_1095754627116479.jpeg

• Like 1