Z-noob dilema... Should I buy a $900 Z31 or save for an S30?

Or you can get the S30 and swap over the VG30 in or even a VG33 they make those all the way to 2004 I believe.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/54914-vg30et-swap/

You realize how much work that will be, right? Not only swapping the engine, but EVERYTHING else connected to it. Motor mounts, tranny mounts, exhaust, coolant hoses, driveshaft, etc, not to mention the work of converting the car to run Z31 efi. That's a huge project.

Just buy the Z31 and be done with it. Some people don't like the Z31, but who gives a crap. You can easily build a Z31 that can smoke 95% of the S30's out there, and for little money or work.

The turbo only came in 10% of all Z31's, so they're harder to find, and as a result, more expensive. You probably could do most of the swap work from an N/A to a turbo with the motor in the car, but it'd be WAY easier with the engine out. You'll want a better clutch anyways, so you might as well yank the motor to do any work. Or do as the one guy mentioned, and buy whatever you can get now, and then buy/build another motor to drop in later. VG30's are cheap, and parts are cheap. The VG33 already has dished pistons, so you could likely just run that N/A motor with a turbo, and not have to rebuild anything.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddy's z31 on some Work CR kai. It tucks I believe they are 18 by 9 in the front and 10 and 1/2 in the rear. Trust this car can grip. That is why I say z31... The engine is fucken tits and if you build it right like this guy did. You wont go wrong for a 900 project.

18704_451668254900649_847434332_n.jpg

• Like 1

My buddy's z31 on some Work CR kai. It tucks I believe they are 18 by 9 in the front and 10 and 1/2 in the rear. Trust this car can grip. That is why I say z31... The engine is fucken tits and if you build it right like this guy did. You wont go wrong for a 900 project.

9 in front and 10.5 in back is exactly what I'd want to run. I don't get how people can say Z31s are ugly... Yeah not quite as slick and fast looking as an S30 but still nice looking cars. Especially the few like this that are done right.

Is there any bang for the buck value as far as Z31s go in auto x/road racing? Meaning if I do it right and have a good set up I want to hang with cars that are more expensive and that "should" be faster in the corners. That was what originally got me into f-bodies and LSx cars so do Z31s have that same bang for the buck quality or will it just never be as good as say a Corvette C6 or Porsche?

I honestly don't care when people talk bad about the 300zx. More cars and parts for me.  The  prices for the s30 are fucken ridiculous and getting much more rare. I had an s30 and when I started to do the math on how much money i needed to make it "decent" and drive-able. I fucken sold it... Pretty happy with my new S12 with the vg30 engine. Just did the water pump and timing belt on her and deleted the no working AC....  For the  price I sold the s30 (no engine or  trans) I got a driving 1987 200sx v6 and some extra cash....

Honestly some coil-overs, poly bushings, some good rims and tires, and gutting it is all you need for a nice canyon/track car.

Just read  that  your a college student. As one that is going to graduate on the fall and have gone threw a big datsun project. A good DD that you can work on the weekends is a nice feeling...

I honestly don't care when people talk bad about the 300zx. More cars and parts for me.  The  prices for the s30 are fucken ridiculous and getting much more rare. I had an s30 and when I started to do the math on how much money i needed to make it "decent" and drive-able. I fucken sold it... Pretty happy with my new S12 with the vg30 engine. Just did the water pump and timing belt on her and deleted the no working AC....  For the  price I sold the s30 (no engine or  trans) I got a driving 1987 200sx v6 and some extra cash....

Honestly some coil-overs, poly bushings, some good rims and tires, and gutting it is all you need for a nice canyon/track car.

Just read  that  your a college student. As one that is going to graduate on the fall and have gone threw a big datsun project. A good DD that you can work on the weekends is a nice feeling...

Yeah that's what I'm going for. I almost jumped on a non running 280z for 1500 bucks but now I'm glad I didn't cause it would just be too much for me being in school and working also not to mention a lot more money to get it running and get the body in decent shape.

I went to Homestead Miami Speedway on Sunday. There was a huge event. Car show/road racing and it got me kind of into it. But then I read up on 300zx road racing capability and it wasn't good stuff for the most part. But there were Civics built, gutted, and caged hanging with Vettes, Vipers, Porsches, M3s, ect. So I'm sure the Z31 has to be able to also right? 

Also I've gone and checked out the Z31 once. It looked good but what specific things should I be looking for? 

He claims it needs absolutely nothing but an exhaust, rear suspension work, and very minor rust repair here and there. I'm scared to buy it and half way home or even a couple days later it starts having all kinds of other problems. So are there any red flags specific to the Z31 I should be on the look out for?

I'd like to go within the next 30 mins since I'm kinda bored right now lol so fast advice would be awesome.

Mmmmm sexay!

go look at it   drive it   check oil and water for contamination if it looks and feels right BUY IT

drive it for a while and when you get tired of it sell it and buy an S30 then go on with your plans of big motor and fast car

an LS motor will get you more horsepower cheaper then any other motor

if your funds are not limited do a VQ45 or something of the like

good luck

go look at it   drive it   check oil and water for contamination if it looks and feels right BUY IT

drive it for a while and when you get tired of it sell it and buy an S30 then go on with your plans of big motor and fast car

an LS motor will get you more horsepower cheaper then any other motor

if your funds are not limited do a VQ45 or something of the like

good luck

It's a project. If I buy it I'm gona be in it for the long haul. If I fix it up a bit and sell it I'll still only get like 2500 for it if that, and be in the same situation I am now where I'd be buying an S30 that either barely runs, or runs good but needs a ton of body work....

Whatever I get now I'm gona put my all into it. And it's most likely gona be the Z31. I should be bringing it home on Saturday if I don't change my mind or find something else by then. In 3-4 years or so when I'm done with school and hopefully done or nearly done with the big power Z31 I can get me a nice looking S30 to do a mild low cost build for cruising and maybe some autocross. And by then I'll also hopefully still have my Formula or some other f-body since I'm a muscle car guy and then a beater to daily.. Hopefully I get a job that makes me enough money to keep all 3 and keep them garaged.... I guess I can dream lol.

Look for any sign of water on the front floor pans.  They are notorious for leaking coolant at the heater core.  This is a pain in the ass to fix.  People ignore it, then they have rusty floor pans.  Look for water stains on carpet/new carpet.  

Look for any sign of water on the front floor pans.  They are notorious for leaking coolant at the heater core.  This is a pain in the ass to fix.  People ignore it, then they have rusty floor pans.  Look for water stains on carpet/new carpet.  

The guy said the t-tops will drip under extremely heavy downpour so if there is any water that could also be a reason for it. I didn't notice anything but I wasn't exactly looking for it. I will check into that on Saturday. 

So I'm looking at suspension stuff right now. Getting the rear suspension fixed is number one on the list right now. I'm thinking Bilstien shocks, and a bushing kit both from ASCO. What about springs? Eibach? Tokico? Or where could I find Bilstien springs?

Was also thinking about a Cusco rear strut bar from the Z store.

Anything else I could or should do? Where could I find a good set of coilovers that won't destroy my wallet? I want a high performance set up... Are coil overs necessary or can I handle just as well with a good set of shocks/springs?

Here are the links for all the parts I've got so far. Looking to order everything all at once.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PSDC04/23-4207

http://store.acadianasportscars.com/asco24-011167

http://store.acadianasportscars.com/101013-bundle