VG30et swap

rus

What started as a vh45 swap (still have vh swap parts if anyone is interested  icon12.gif  ) has turned into vg30 swap

Here's the progress so far:

20121004140739512.jpg
20130304113203519.jpg
20130411163119635.jpg
20130425194546800.jpg

Wiring is almost done, holset is mounted and downpipe is done.

I'm using walbro 255 fuel pump and -8an and -6an fuel and return lines.

Holset is mounted using a modified turbo relocation pipe from Acadiana sports car

Still need to figure out how to mount alternator and how to route IC piping

For now I will be using 2nd gen dsm smic that I got from a friend.

Planning to run 6-8 psi until I get better injectors.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ran into an issue with s130 radiator and taurus fan shroud being too close to the turbo.

If i trim radiator frame a bit and cut corner of a shroud i should be able to fit a 90 degree elbow for the intake

but then there's still a problem with routing IC pipes.

I can get one of those small civic ek 3 row racing aluminium radiators cheap from a friend but I don't think that would be enough to cool it.

I'm on a pretty tight budget, so I can't afford a fancy radiator. I might just stick with s130 radiator for now and just get a vented 280z hood to help get hot air out.

Or after some cutting I could also fit radiator through the hole and tilt it forward.

If I go with a blow through MAF setup, it'll save me a lot of time since I won't have to worry about intake piping around radiator.

If I set my maf sensor on the straight pipe about 6-7 inches away from throttle body and if I thermal wrap my downpipe to prevent heat soak, would it work fine without having to tune it?

• 2 weeks later...

test fitted dsm IC with cheap universal ebay IC piping kit and 45 degree 4" to 3" silicone coupler for intake

It's not the best but will have to do for now, plus this is my first ever turbo car and I don't have much experience working with turbos

20130513135238667.jpg
20130513135246373.jpg
2013051312474136.jpg
2013051312473430.jpg

I've actually tried looking for a starion IC but cheapest one I found was over $150 and I got my dsm ic from a friend for $20. I wasn't planning to have this dsm IC for more than a few months until I save up enough for a bigger IC, bigger injectors, nisture and etc..

Took my drive shaft to a shop to get it shortened only to find out they can't replace U-joints and use stock tube. So basically I would have to pay $300 for a custom driveline.

Does anyone know of a driveshaft that might fit? it needs to be 25.3" long.

Maybe s30 automatic drive shaft? or 280zx drive shaft?

Managed to get it running today. Runs a bit rough but should run better when I fix all the vacuum lines.

Only problem so far is sometimes it hesitates when I open the throttle and sometimes dies after I close it.

Running open downpipe right now.

Managed to get it running today. Runs a bit rough but should run better when I fix all the vacuum lines.

Only problem so far is sometimes it hesitates when I open the throttle and sometimes dies after I close it.

Running open downpipe right now.

Yes !! :hyper:

My reaction exactly. I guess it's not too bad for a first project car.

It's quite a bit for what you're doing really :thumbup:

I'm enjoying seeing this progress !

Tried to get my hands on an 85 VG30ET that I had a deposit down to buy the next day ...

someone swooped in and snatched it in between... Doh !!!

I have L28ET stuff to toy with instead though.

Lovin the pics as well... :cool:

• Like 1

It's quite a bit for what you're doing really :thumbup:

I'm enjoying seeing this progress !

Tried to get my hands on an 85 VG30ET that I had a deposit down to buy the next day ...

someone swooped in and snatched it in between... Doh !!!

I have L28ET stuff to toy with instead though.

Lovin the pics as well... :cool:

ouch.. I was lucky enough to have a friend with a z31 turbo that recently blew a tranny.

Well L28et is quite fun as well, I almost did a vh45 swap but needed custom headers and not enough money.

I'm surprised I got all the wiring right. :confused:  This was my first time wiring an engine.

• Like 1