1972 521 carb problems

Copdoctor

Hey guys, I'm hoping you can help us out. My buddy has a 72 521 with stock l16 and stock hitachi carb. We've been trying to get it running well for awhile and have been using a lot of info from here to help us out but now we broke it even more.

The issue (was) the truck started right away, idled great, but any throttle over about 20% and it would bog down. Every now and then it ran great and we could drive it anywhere, then the next day it would bog severely and we'd be idling home. We both are brand new to this kind of thing, both came from turbo'd Evos and wrxs.

Fuel pump is good, fuel is in the float, the accelerator pump (was) spraying, we cleaned the carb a few times, have been tinkering with the air/fuel mixture for days and no luck. Tonight we broke it even more.

Tonight we pulled the carb and took some of it apart to clean it again and look for any obvious problems. While we were taking out the jets, a small yellow/orange bb popped out from somewhere and we have no idea where it came from. All the diagrams we looked at didn't have it listed. We pulled the accelerator pump and verified it had a metal ball bearing, and there was another ball bearing under where the accelerator pump pumps fuel out of the brass tube (don't know what to call it). Since those were the only two balls on all the diagrams we left it out. I took it upon myself to clean the brass butterfly valve and removed it to do so. Getting it back in was a pain and it seemed to no longer close all the way ( forget if it ever did to begin with). Anyway got everything put back together and now it won't even start.

Fuel pumps into the float but no matter what we did we couldn't get any spray from the accelerator pump. Also the throttle seems a bit stiffer...although that could be cause we were tired and weak from dealing with it all night.

I was hoping someone could help us out? Does anyone know what that yellow/orange bb is and where it goes? Is the brass butterfly valve supposed to open/close all the way freely? any ideas as to why the pump is no longer working? Lastly shouldnt it at least start without the accelerator pump? Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!!!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Too late. The brass throttle plates should never be removed for the very reason you had trouble getting them back in. If mis-aligned you may have bent or damaged them (throttle seems stiffer) by stepping on the throttle.

Look down the primary and see if the throttle plate is closing.

Hello all! I am the buddy that has been referred to in this post. First a lil bout the truck. Just bought it in a semi-restored state. Ran pretty decent when I got it except that it started, idled, ran for about 5 minutes perfectly. When I would drive it would run for a few blocks then would start bogging down to the point of dying if I didn't let off the throttle. Replaced spark plugs, wires, fuel filter. Check timing, dizzy, points and all looked good. Continues to bog.

Took the carb off, cleaned it up, checked the accelerator pump, jets and nozzles for blockage and it was all good. Until we tipped the carb after taking the primary jet out and a small yellow bb fell out. Checked the diagrams and verified that any place that had a bb, did. It all did. Put it back together and so far 4 out of 4 times driving it hasn't bogged out. So my question is, where could of said bb come from????

Like my buddy said, we are both

Somewhat new to tinkering on carbs and what not, coming from the world of awd fuel injected, boosted, computer controlled cars. The learning curve here has begun and I wanted to say thanks to everyone posting on this forum. Without this forum I would have not known where to start. The brass butterfly valve has been reinstalled and is working properly, so mental note was made to never do that again. Pics will be posted soon!

I have a similar problem at some point my 610s carb was rebuilt after sitting for 22 years I bought it. Took it all apart and it only needed 1 of the three it had acording to diagrams for similar carbs my carb btw does not have the check ball spring weight or plug as the diagram shows also does not have a spot to put the afore mentioned parts.

Well I have come to the realization that my issue has been remedied. Just wanna throw out a Quick thanks to everyone who replied. I don't think my buddy and I couldn't have figured it out on our own. Thanks to the TWO OF U who replied. Kinda of a drag our problem was one that your other fellow ratsuners didn't feel the need to share their knowledge. What an awesomely welcome we have received.

Well I have come to the realization that my issue has been remedied. Just wanna throw out a Quick thanks to everyone who replied. I don't think my buddy and I couldn't have figured it out on our own. Thanks to the TWO OF U who replied. Kinda of a drag our problem was one that your other fellow ratsuners didn't feel the need to share their knowledge. What an awesomely welcome we have received.

Welcome  B)

You must keep in mind that a 521 carb problem is one that most will not reply to because we don't know a lot about carbs, that would be my reason for sure, I'm not going say something if I don't have a clue about the subject.

Also the 521 section is just a small part of this forum, which only draws 521/truck followers, and that means it will be seen by very few members that follow this section, it likely would have received a lot more attention in another section, but +1 for putting the issue in the title.

I am happy that your issue has resolved itself, it quite possibly could have been the BB that was the issue.

I hope that you will not judge us to harshly, Welcome again.  :)

Man, I was just looking for some help... any help.  Our thinking was ,"hey I have a 521, maybe we could post in that forum asking for help, and if  not, then maybe they could directed us to where to go from there.  Both my friend had registered, and he was able to post the first part of this tread, then was unable to post any more.  My original log in would not allow me to post either.  I Emailed the "Admins" several times and have yet to hear anything.  I had to create a new log in just so i could post.  From what i have read through this forum, i I thought it would be a close knit community willing to help out fellow owners.  Kind of sad it didn't work out that way.  

We have reindexed the torsion bars, 3in lowering blocks in the rear, new plugs, wires, fuel filter, oil change. Took the carb apart about 8o times. Getting kind of good at at. Just did a home made headliner. Working on a plan to get rid of the blue or white or both. A little bright for my tastes

Man, I was just looking for some help... any help.  Our thinking was ,"hey I have a 521, maybe we could post in that forum asking for help, and if  not, then maybe they could directed us to where to go from there.  Both my friend had registered, and he was able to post the first part of this tread, then was unable to post any more.  My original log in would not allow me to post either.  I Emailed the "Admins" several times and have yet to hear anything.  I had to create a new log in just so i could post.  From what i have read through this forum, i I thought it would be a close knit community willing to help out fellow owners.  Kind of sad it didn't work out that way.  

That's unfair. I haven't received any e-mail about this. We do get a lot of spam and spam bots. Daily we get at least 150 applications to join Ratsun of these 3 or 4 are allowed. The rest are problems waiting to pounce.

Sometimes it just takes time for an answer.

Thanks.... I'll get some more pictures posted at some point.  I was ready to purchase a Weber when this lil orange bb fell out of god knows where.  Now it seems to run like a champ!

Mike im sorry if you felt that was unfair.  I sent 2 separate emails after a warning came up saying "you don't have permission to do that" from the contact an administrator link on that page.  Was trying to be patient, but was looking for answers, and had searched everything related to this, tried all the remedies suggested, and had hit the end of my rope.