Rota RB 15x7 or 6 ?

Hi all, I'm considering buying a set of 15x7 with +25 offset and 195/50-15. It seems to be a common package on the 510s. Yet it is important to me that the tires do not in any circumstance touch the fenders. Should I stop worrying and go for the 15x7, or should I look at a set of 15x6 instead ?

Appreciate your advices on this, thanks !!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes the 15x7 +25 with a 195/50 tire will work on a stock 510 front strut, but you will need spacers with 280ZX struts.

If you look at the advised rim widths from most tire manufactures, the 7" rim is too wide for a 195/50-15 tire. For me I would be following their advice rather than use what is popular.

I'd look for a 15x6 + 24 offset if you are using195/50-15 tires. Those will fit a 510 without rolling the fenders.

Here is one of my customers, 195/50-15 on 15x6 +24 VTO Retro 4's.  I asked him about fender to tire clearance (stock lip, not rolled). He said it was just over 1/2".

web-right%20side.jpg

One of your countrymen(Norway) has Rota RBs on his 510.

He has stock struts and uses the +25mm offset. fit perfect 195/50 15s. NO strut/bumpsteer spacer can be used as it will hit/rub the steering ilder arm or something.

I myself have 195 45 15 Nexen(korean) tires and they clear the strut and fenders fine. One could put 205 in back no proplem

tidemansen@hotmail.com

Yngve Tidemansen

One of your countrymen(Norway) has Rota RBs on his 510.

He has stock struts and uses the +25mm offset. fit perfect 195/50 15s. NO strut/bumpsteer spacer can be used as it will hit/rub the steering ilder arm or something.

I myself have 195 45 15 Nexen(korean) tires and they clear the strut and fenders fine. One could put 205 in back no proplem

tidemansen@hotmail.com

Yngve Tidemansen

Yngve, are the Rota RB's to your friend 15x6 or 15x7 ? What about your own rims ? Thanks :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am interested in the 15x6 Rota RB also with 195/50 tires for my 1969 wagon with ZX struts that is lowered 2". What is required for this set up, longer studs or spacers? or is this a direct bolt on. Has anyone used this on a wagon, any clearance issues on the rear? I am also looking for a no rub tire combo. Thanks.

Didnt know they had a 15x6

I know 15x7 +25s fit a stock 510 struts 195/50 or 195/45 will be fine up front

Reese 15x6 might be enought to clear the 280zx struts.

I know on the 15x7 I think +15 or 12 will clear but most pick 0 offset on those but dont know if it clears the rear fneder on a wagon

stock hubcaps on a slammed car look good myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I'm still a bit confused. I've been doing research for some time but I can seem to fit the answers for my application. Here is what I have to work with:

Stock 510 struts

Lowered about 2 inches

bump steers spacer

Stock fenders

My goal it to have 195/50/15 tires on a 15x6 or 15x7 rim. The question is which rim and offset will fit this application with the bumpsteer spacers? I'm ok with rolling the fenders, but would like to avoid it if possible. Cutting the fenders is not an option. I would greatly appreciate some help with getting my 510 back on the road.

When you guys say bump steer spacers, do you mean roll center adapters?

RCAs will not mess anything up. 

What they do is just set the lower control arm flat as if the car was never lowered. 

Bump steer = RCA.  Call it bump steer cuz when you hit a bump the car steers on its own :rofl:

When you guys say bump steer spacers, do you mean roll center adapters?

RCAs will not mess anything up. 

What they do is just set the lower control arm flat as if the car was never lowered. 

More commonly, Roll center adjuster... not adapter... eh...

RCAs can mess up plenty.

Stupidly, the tire shop had placed wheel weights on the inside lip of my rims (15x7 et5). That coupled with my 1" RCAs made it so my tie rod ends clipped the wheel weights every revolution.

Without the RCA the tie rod would have fit inside the rim.

I have learned the Datsun community calls them Bump Steer Spacers, as they are trying to correct bump steer, not roll centers. Everyone else calls them Roll Center Adjusters, and that is what companies like TechnoToy call them.

Point of clarification:

If you are concerned about clearance, it's generally tires rubbing on the body, isn't it? That means tire size should matter more than wheel size? A 195/50-15 on a 15x6 versus a 195/50-15 on a 15x7 should have similar clearance (with the 6" wheel having slightly more), or at least close enough that it won't matter?

The only way I can see it being an issue is if the car is slammed and there's a chance the wheel (and/or the part of the tire sidewall just above the bead) may hit the body.