Clutch gone...options and info please.

jammin

Need some help please.  Lost clutch driving today, and need to know if anyone who could help me with knowing what clutch kit I need.   The datsun is a 521, but it has the larger 2.0 engine and 5 speed tranny....do not know what year thet came from.   Truck was driving fine, but I went to store, came out and got about 20 feet and truck started losing speed and making pretty good racket in bell housing.  I saw a few kits on Rock auto, but wanted to know if they were different options. Have changed clutch in a couple Rx7's and chevy trucks....don;t know if I have the heart to do it on my girl.  Thinking about selling....any info would be appreciated.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what kinda noises was it making? Without taking your trans out there`s no exact way to tell what clutch you have, but to get help you might want to add,, is the trans a dogleg 5speed,, if normal pattern,, what is the length of trans??

(edit) we can only really just guess though.

pictures might help

Transmission was not making any noise at all before this happened. Was driving great , then suddenly it starts losing speed and some thunking sounds. Fluid in clutch master good.  Can shift through gears, but no movement with truck....or at least maybe a mile per hour.....can row through all gears, but no speed.  Even reverse not giving me any real movement....so guess clutch plates just spinning?    Also, just found info from previous owner...looks like the engine is from a 1979 620 l4 with 5 speed...don't know if it is a "dogleg" tranny.   Reverse is far right and back towards the seat.

Need some help please.  Lost clutch driving today, and need to know if anyone who could help me with knowing what clutch kit I need.   The datsun is a 521, but it has the larger 2.0 engine and 5 speed tranny....do not know what year thet came from.   Truck was driving fine, but I went to store, came out and got about 20 feet and truck started losing speed and making pretty good racket in bell housing.  I saw a few kits on Rock auto, but wanted to know if they were different options. Have changed clutch in a couple Rx7's and chevy trucks....don;t know if I have the heart to do it on my girl.  Thinking about selling....any info would be appreciated.

There are different flywheels with different size disc/clutch covers, the only way to know is to pull it apart and measure it.

It's not that time consuming of a job, you can likely do it without actually dropping the transmission, you just need to move it back far enough to access the bolts holding the clutch cover on, the most difficult part is putting it back together, as there is not a lot of room if the transmission is not dropped out.

Also, just found info from previous owner...looks like the engine is from a 1979 620 l4 with 5 speed...don't know if it is a "dogleg" tranny.   Reverse is far right and back towards the seat.

That should be a 225mm truck clutch.

The PP is assembly # 30210-Y0100 also used on the Z22 and the SD22/25 diesels in the 720 as well as the LD28 diesel in the Maxima..About $130

The friction disc is #30100-Y6800 about $50

Always replace the release bearing #30502-21000 about $35. Get this from NAPA for half that.

$200 may sound steep but these are preeemo parts made in Japan. Ya gets what ya pays for it.

Ky is flywheel size used!!!!!!Period.

L20s had 2 flywheeels size. Most like it was from a truck(225mm) but a 200mm could be on there also.

best to remove take photos of all the parts.

I understand what your say'n hainz, but these trucks are so old now, it is hard to say what is on them , I use 240mm on all my trucks these days, I get them off the 720s with the napZ engines, they bolt right on, and clear the 5 speed transmission cases, as that is the tranny they came with, well that statement is not exactly true, the napZ never came with an L bellhousing/case, but the insides of the case are basically the same, just clocked differently.

And what would be the correct products for a L20B with a dogleg (me)?

Saying a dogleg does not help. The transmission doesn't care what clutch is used and the clutch doesn't care what transmission it's driving. You can run any clutch or transmission combination you like they don't affect each other.

The L20B flywheel could have a 200mm, a 225mm or even a 240mm pressure plate bolt pattern, and this decides what clutch/PP you can mount.

You have to know, or take the transmission off your L20B and measure the flywheel friction surface or the clutch disc diameters to find out.