to part out or not to part out?

Pretty sure the speed limit is set for the maximum allowable speed. We have a highway that posted on the ramps saying your vehicle must be able to maintain 45KPH in a 110KPH zone. That's about 36 in a 65. Check the regs, there's likely a similar minimum speed limit. Unless this is a single lane road, then you should maintain the limit or close to it.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure the speed limit is set for the maximum allowable speed. We have a highway that posted on the ramps saying your vehicle must be able to maintain 45KPH in a 110KPH zone. That's about 36 in a 65. Check the regs, there's likely a similar minimum speed limit. Unless this is a single lane road, then you should maintain the limit or close to it.

still though, i don't want to destroy it. i mean, you guys don't get this hill. it's cost me $1200 in a tranny rebuild, on a more well-maintained vehicle. i really just want to car to go to a good home. or i could get a different job...

While the B210s do struggle with long hills, you should be able to keep it in 3rd and maintain at least 55. Minimum speed on the highway legally is usually 45. Find a happy spot in the slow lane. The A14s are very happy at 4 or 5 grand and will do it all day long. A good running stockish A14 will go up even the nastiest long ass painful hill at a minimum of 45, although there may be a lot of downshifting involved. A weber carb will help with this a bit, especially if the stock carb is a piece of crap, but you will take a hit on the MPG.

Or just get a different job. It sounds like the drive itself is going to eat up much of your income in gas and repair bills no matter what car you get. Is it really that good of a job?

While the B210s do struggle with long hills, you should be able to keep it in 3rd and maintain at least 55. Minimum speed on the highway legally is usually 45. Find a happy spot in the slow lane. The A14s are very happy at 4 or 5 grand and will do it all day long. A good running stockish A14 will go up even the nastiest long ass painful hill at a minimum of 45, although there may be a lot of downshifting involved. A weber carb will help with this a bit, especially if the stock carb is a piece of crap, but you will take a hit on the MPG.

Or just get a different job. It sounds like the drive itself is going to eat up much of your income in gas and repair bills no matter what car you get. Is it really that good of a job?

nope. shit job. but i get 40hrs. so it could be worse.

but hold on, what b210 are YOU driving? you have magical tires or something?

Yep. That hill sucks ass. If I'm not mistaken that's the other end of double oak mountain from me. I travel 280 from time to time. The one Monkbonk is talking about (if I'm not wrong) is the one that goes from Vincent to Sterrett on Hwy 25. They are the same hill I believe. I would say find an alternate route but if you live in Chelsea and work in Inverness you're just screwed. Unless you want to drive a while.

Sidenote: the train tunnel that goes through the mountain Monk is talking about on hwy 25 is supposedly where John Henry died. I've been told there is a railroad spike driven in the wall about halfway through marking the spot. Since it's about a mile long and a still active railroad, I haven't the balls to find out.

Yep. That hill sucks ass. If I'm not mistaken that's the other end of double oak mountain from me. I travel 280 from time to time. The one Monkbonk is talking about (if I'm not wrong) is the one that goes from Vincent to Sterrett on Hwy 25. They are the same hill I believe. I would say find an alternate route but if you live in Chelsea and work in Inverness you're just screwed. Unless you want to drive a while.

Sidenote: the train tunnel that goes through the mountain Monk is talking about on hwy 25 is supposedly where John Henry died. I've been told there is a railroad spike driven in the wall about halfway through marking the spot. Since it's about a mile long and a still active railroad, I haven't the balls to find out.

THAT'S THE HILL. there's actually no way arond the hill, because inverness has no proper backroads. just subdivisions. 

i've heard of that tunnel as well, and i've been looking for the entrance for a while. a friend of mine has a dirtbike and he lives right by the tracks, if only i could convince him to let me use it...

nope. shit job. but i get 40hrs. so it could be worse.

but hold on, what b210 are YOU driving? you have magical tires or something?

i guess i have a magical b210 as well, with an automatic i never had any issues with hills, and i also flew on the highway. sure its loud running 3rd gear and sounds like your blasting through the atmosphere, but as long as it gets me there.

i don't know, maybe i'm just not driving it right. still doesn't make any sense, it's not like i'm overshifting, i've tried it from the bottom of the hill at a red light, and about 2500rpm of the in 2nd gear, it couldn't push me any faster. i can't downshift into first, because that tops out at, say, 15mph. i could upshift into 3rd, but that would nearly risk me stalling.

i don't see what it could be. car runs fine on open ground. even on most hills. i'd say it's just this one hill... i'd like to get it looked at, but i don't want to bust even more money i don't have for them to tell me the car's fine. i just want to get rid of it.

Man my pathfinder and my wifes 08 civic hate that hill. I'm not gonna peg my shit out at 8000 rpms just to pass people going up that hill while burning through $7 worth of fuel just to do it. I say throw a middle finger to all the assholes (inverness is crawling with them) and rock yo shit.

Also, the best entrance I've found for that tunnel is on the north side on Hwy 25. The Sterrett side. There is a road named appropriately, Tunnel Rd. drive up to the tracks and turn left before crossing. The gravel road goes almost up to the tunnel itself. Also, they are hard to see but on each side of the tunnel there on the north side, there are confederate guard posts cut into the rock wall to keep union soldiers from blowing the tunnel up.

• Like 1

ah ha... guess what my new plans are for my next off day!
but man i dunno. i may keep it. nobody wants the damn thing to treat it right, because it isn't associated with a ten-cent piece. so i may as well just keep it. at least i have a use for the louvers and spare brush guard now. may as well force it over the hill again.

wonder if it'll be small enough to fit in the tunnel...