New member, and looking for advice (510)

Looks decent for the price. It would take some work to get all the chrome back to chrome is you dont like the paint or powder work on it. Also, it looks pretty beat up around those flares. It would be nice to see whats under those read flares. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im sure they are cut for them, but if you look around the rear flares you can see its all black and just forward of the flare its all crumpled. You should search for his build thread and read up on it. That should answer most of your questions. 

that car has all the good stuff best L series motor best 5 speed tranny looks mostly original very clean looking on the east coast in that condition might be worth up to 6k although it is a 4 door

If I was in the market I would probably pay up to about 5400  especially on the east coast 

yeah. locataion and condition demand a premium for that car. if i were looking for another datto, id expect to pay the same for that car if i were in the same circumstances... but, id also seriously consider a proxy buy from the west coast and shipping it

I think it's because I'm new but there is no send me a message when i hover over a members name.

Yeah thats weird... I cant send you a message either. 

I looked into the forum restrictions and the p/m access was disabled. I think I have it back on line now... give it a try.

yeah. locataion and condition demand a premium for that car. if i were looking for another datto, id expect to pay the same for that car if i were in the same circumstances... but, id also seriously consider a proxy buy from the west coast and shipping it

Yup, found a few nice ones on the west coast. Might be going that route. 

I looked into the forum restrictions and the p/m access was disabled. I think I have it back on line now... give it a try.

Thanks works now!

How do you guys feel about this http://medford.craigslist.org/cto/3905718785.html

This one looks like a rough driver to me.

For resale purposes, the flares could make or brake a deal.  Some like them some don't.  A car with stock fenders gives the buyer the choice to do what they want.

I agree.  Pay as much as you can and get the best you can.  No rust and nice paint is the most important.  Those two things take the most time and cost the most to do.

I emailed three datsun owners in Cali about their 510's. Still talking to the ebay guy. Hopefully something pans out and I have it next week sometime. 

One of the 510's in Orange County looks IMMACULATE, but it's an automatic : (

It'll be interesting so see what that dime on ebay will bring... But what kills me is, that guy has "ebay gold" in his possession, and yet he didn't even attempt to detail that car for the pics. They run outta soap and water in Virginia?

Omega, my advice is this; The harder you look for a 510, the more you will learn how stupid the market is. Best to just keep your ear to the ground and save your pennies for the one that falls in your lap. A knee-jerk buy of one of these cars could cost you a lot more in the long run.

Good luck

Omega, my advice is this; The harder you look for a 510, the more you will learn how stupid the market is. Best to just keep your ear to the ground and save your pennies for the one that falls in your lap. A knee-jerk buy of one of these cars could cost you a lot more in the long run.

Good luck

good advice. The market for 510s is ridiculous right now.

I emailed three datsun owners in Cali about their 510's. Still talking to the ebay guy. Hopefully something pans out and I have it next week sometime. 

Don't be scared to buy an automatic, if everything else is right.

My car was an automatic.  It's pretty easy to swap in a 5spd.  You need a trans, a trans cross-member, trans mount, clutch master cylinder, tubing for clutch master to slave cylinder, a clutch pedal (mine was from a donor 510), shorten your drive shaft, cut a new hole in the floor, and wire up your reverse lights.  Mine was also a column shift, so I removed the column shift and put a different column cover on.  All in all, less than $500.  And maybe a day or so to do the work.  Waiting for the drive shaft to be shortened took the longest.

What I've found to be best in the Midwest is to buy a "junk" 280zx for a parts car.  This gives you the 5spd, and the front struts with disc brakes to lower the car if yours isn't already.  If you buy a later car, like 1982-1983 or so, you will also get the rear disc brakes.  My two 280zx's came without titles, so right now they are only good for parts.  I paid $400 for one and $600 for the other.  The one I paid $600 for, I parted out for $800 AND kept the trans, struts, and brakes....  I've still got the other car in Kansas if you end up needing parts and can't find one closer.

Nothing wrong with an auto. They are very hard and very boring to abuse and very quickly you resign yourself to just driveing it. In their whole life they will never be subjected to a big smoky burn out and 6 grand clutch dumps never happen.

Nothing wrong with an auto. They are very hard and very boring to abuse and very quickly you resign yourself to just driveing it. In their whole life they will never be subjected to a big smoky burn out and 6 grand clutch dumps never happen.

kinda like being born a woman....

• Like 1