720 Curb Weight?

TheEddie

Anyone want to ballpark the curb weight of an '85-'86 Nissan 720?

This one is in pretty good body shape, though some crunched sheet metal.  Been sitting in the street for at least 5 years that I know of, maybe more.

Regular Cab, short Box, no rear bumper, probably manual shift, probably non PS--basic truck w/o being an MPG model.  Cab's fulla crap, as is the bed; tires are flat, last state inspection sticker is an antique.

I'd look at the door label but I don't want to talk to the owner (and maybe start him thinking) until I can actually do something.  Bucks down, you know how it is.

Eddie

• Like 1
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Door label gives gross weight, not curb weight.  Not sure the curb weight is actually listed anywhere except in the manual, though the emissions sticker sometimes had the typical test weight (which includes fuel).  It's under 3000#, closer to 2500# (+/- 300#)

What do you need the curb weight for?  Towing?  Amount you'd get taking it over the scales at a scrapyard?  The amount of junk in it probably has it over 3000# unless it's really light junk.  Usually it's saturated phone books and old moldy clothing.

• Like 2

Looks like the 2WDs are around 2600 lbs......shit......thought they were heavier.

My 85 4x4 ST weighs 3750.... :o ...Although.... it does have a 'aftermarket' box on it.

No stock info on the trucks or in the FSM on gross/curb weights

• Like 1

Got to be higher than that Doug. The 620 emissions sticker is 2700. 720s have to be more.

Yeah....I figured around 3100ish.

But then I 'Googled' the query and a couple of other forums came up with 2600 and change

Thought it was somewhat low.....

• Like 1

Thanx for the info fellas!

I'll work with a weight around 2800.

As I said, the body is good-ish, definitely usable.

FWIW, I'm going to have a pretty huge commute soon, and I'm going to need MPG, so there's a weight concern.  Assuming the truck's been parked because the engine is shot, I'd have to remove...and replace it.  With a whole 'nother engine, quite a bit smaller than 2.4L.  Since it's over 26 years old now, it is exempt from Texas smog inspection, and I could drop in L16 or maybe a diesel, which is where the curb weight again becomes a factor.

L-engines and SD-diesels bolt up Z-engine transmissions, right? 

Ah, daydreams...

Eddie

• Like 1

L-engines and SD-diesels bolt up Z-engine transmissions, right? 

SD diesels do NOT bolt up to NAPS-Z or L-series transmissions.   Totally different bellhousing pattern.   L-series engines will bolt on, but cause angle issues due to different clocking.

NAPS-Z engines are more efficient (in stock form) than L-series when comparing same displacement.  I routinely got 30MPG (almost all freeway, though) with a '83 King Cab /Z24.  I was lucky to get 20 MPG with my Mom's '73 with an L16.  That was mostly gearing, but an L16 isn't going to be anywhere near proper RPM ranges with the 3.9 or 3.7 ratio the 720 has.

• Like 1

NAPS-Z engines are more efficient (in stock form) than L-series when comparing same displacement.  I routinely got 30MPG (almost all freeway, though) with a '83 King Cab /Z24.  I was lucky to get 20 MPG with my Mom's '73 with an L16.  That was mostly gearing, but an L16 isn't going to be anywhere near proper RPM ranges with the 3.9 or 3.7 ratio the 720 has.

That is nice to know.  I had a 81kc that got high 20's mpg all the time and my 4x4 gets near 17 with 32's on it.  As much as i would like a 620 I would think they would get better mpg. I would not think a 5 speed would help me since i mostly do around town driving.  Sorry for getting off subject.

• Like 1

SD diesels do NOT bolt up to NAPS-Z or L-series transmissions.   Totally different bellhousing pattern.   L-series engines will bolt on, but cause angle issues due to different clocking.

(Dryly)  Thanks a lot.  (I hates common sense--daydream go poof-splat!)

Stay with the NAPS-Z package, then.  Make Mama happy rather than waste money playin' Engine-Swap-a-Mundo.  Shoot.

Hmmmm.  Waidaminnit...if the shortblock is shot, maybe I could still debore it down to Z-20 size? 

eddiE

• Like 1

OK, uh, "debore it", uh "sleeve it", yeah, that's what I meant.  Uh-huh.  Yep.  Uh-huh.

If you want to follow my continuing stoopidity, head for the "transmissions" section.  Going through that forum, I think a lot of my questions have already been answered.  A lot.  Not all.

(Elvis) Thank You, thank you very much

Eddie, The

• Like 1

I pull my 1980 720 across the landfill scales a couple times a week. With me in it (175lbs) the scale reads 2780. I have 195/75r14s and stock steel wheels. I also have collapsable plywood/2x4 sides and lumber rack that net about 50lbs.

2555 lbs cur weight (give or take 15 pounds).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My 720 2x4 weighs 2670. Stock wheels, KA24DE with turbo and tubular manifold, Inner bed walls removed, no spare, no tailgate inner panel. I weighed it before anything was done to it and it weighed right at 2640. (no spare), book says 2650lbs curb.

IMO, they were pretty damn close on curb wieght. Its actually a pretty heavy truck. Remember S10s in late 80 early 90s weighed only 75lbs more and they are much bigger. Our frames are more solid as is the metal.

Of course in todays standards its a light truck. Weight on vehicles has increased dramatically to increase crash ratings and safety.

2005 Honda Civic Si (3 door hatch) weighed in at 2910 without me.

Anyway, I love my 2600lb truck with 360whp. :)

GVWR on my door frame plate claims 4085lbs.

Fr GAWR 1765

7.00-14 (B) Tires

14x5.0 Rims @ 22psi cold

Rr GAWR 2385

7.00-14 (B) Tires

14x5.0 Rims @ 32psi cold

2wd 1980 720 w/L20B

Removed AC, center console, stereo, speakers, and ALL floor covering except the rubber Datsun mats. I also have the rear glass and gasket removed right now.

I looked on my door plate and under the hood and cant find the curb weight specified by Nissan. I have a pass side innner fender plate (eng. comp), a emissions and vacuum sticker under the pass side hood, an anti-freeze sticker in front of the pass side of the radiator, and a paint color # sticker...

Then the manufacurer plate in the driver door well.

Am I just missing it?

• Like 1