720 Curb Weight?

TheEddie

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stock 82-86 std bed w/ 5speed, burly rear bumper-hitch, dog(40 lbs copilot), driver(150lbs), fumes in tank, 100lbs worth of tools, 3100gvw. With a "oops-o-shit" load of scrap metal in the back.....6360lbs @ the scale. Ride quality severely compromised with 1.5 tons of payload....@ 45mph gets a bit "choppy" and wanders with the trucker ruts, headlights pointed @ the sky.

• Like 1

Man, I'm not going to get any more accurate an estimate than THAT, short of running my rig to a scale m'self!

Oh, WAIT!  You're 10 pounds heavier than me!  I guess I'm gonna have to gain 10 .  (By Budweiser.  Sigh.  Such sacrifices I make for the Art :angel: ).

Eddie

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Door label gives gross weight, not curb weight.  Not sure the curb weight is actually listed anywhere except in the manual, though the emissions sticker sometimes had the typical test weight (which includes fuel).  It's under 3000#, closer to 2500# (+/- 300#)

What do you need the curb weight for?  Towing?  Amount you'd get taking it over the scales at a scrapyard?  The amount of junk in it probably has it over 3000# unless it's really light junk.  Usually it's saturated phone books and old moldy clothing.

Now that is funny.

• Like 1

Neighbor was talking about this years ago. Had a big Ford with all the options big tires and rims, big bumper with winch, light bar, extra lights, HD suspension, dual batteries, dual gas tanks... the typical over options, over customized POS truck with a camper. Got pulled over on the way home from moose hunting and sent to the scales. Yeah he was over the GVWRating and had to stuff a couple of hundred pounds in a buddies truck to get home. If your truck weights 3K and rated for 4K and you add 800 pounds of camper you can barely carry one more person.

• Like 1

I think earlier trucks were just about all the same, so weigh the same.

720s had diesel engines, Z24s, L20Bs. Options.... just too many combinations. I used to work at GM and there were dozens of different front coil springs for just one vehicle the Chev. I asked and it was for all the different optional things like air conditioning, engine size, police/taxi option.... it was endless.  

• Like 1
  • 4 years later...