Dats goin to the ER soon aka my garage lol

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you doing the HG?

This.

I'm doing the head gasket on my L16 just wording should I buy any other gaskets??? And should a buy a water pump?

If it needs doing and you don't know the history. Might as well do the timing chain and oil pump while you are at it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it looks like you could use a head gasket. Be aware if the engine ever got really overheated, the head could have warped and a new gasket won't seal it. When the head is off, it should be checked for flatness with a good straight edge.

You can leave the manifolds on the head when you pull it, but then you need to get the nuts loose where the exhaust manifold hooks to the exhaust down pipe. Sometimes these are a pig to get loose, so I would favor taking the manifolds off the head and leaving the exhaust hooked up. You need a manifold gasket if you do it like that.

Get a Fel-Pro or Nissan head gasket. I've read any other brand can be trouble. Depending on how your valve cover gasket it, you might want one of those.

If the water pump looks really ancient or feels rough when you spin it after the water is drained, it is worth replacing. If you aren't sure, replacing it will give you peace of mind. I always replace all the hoses, radiator and heater, when I get a used vehicle, then I know I'm good for a few years. They are easier to do with the head off, so it is a good time to do it.

There should be a throttle return spring behind the head hooked to the throttle linkage. Could be yours has broken. Or maybe just lube the pivot points on the linkage ir the spring looks good.

Len

Could be the throttle getting stuck. Did you fix the headgasket yet? I would worry about that first. One thing at a time.

Not yet I'm just saving my money up so I can buy everything I need like the Timing chain, oil pump Rear main seal, Differential seal and headgasket set lower block gasket set ect. I'm going all out so I won't have any Problems down the road .

Yeah, it looks like you could use a head gasket. Be aware if the engine ever got really overheated, the head could have warped and a new gasket won't seal it. When the head is off, it should be checked for flatness with a good straight edge.

You can leave the manifolds on the head when you pull it, but then you need to get the nuts loose where the exhaust manifold hooks to the exhaust down pipe. Sometimes these are a pig to get loose, so I would favor taking the manifolds off the head and leaving the exhaust hooked up. You need a manifold gasket if you do it like that.

Get a Fel-Pro or Nissan head gasket. I've read any other brand can be trouble. Depending on how your valve cover gasket it, you might want one of those.

If the water pump looks really ancient or feels rough when you spin it after the water is drained, it is worth replacing. If you aren't sure, replacing it will give you peace of mind. I always replace all the hoses, radiator and heater, when I get a used vehicle, then I know I'm good for a few years. They are easier to do with the head off, so it is a good time to do it.

There should be a throttle return spring behind the head hooked to the throttle linkage. Could be yours has broken. Or maybe just lube the pivot points on the linkage ir the spring looks good.

Len

I will have to check it out then... Yeah I am going to change the water pump and buy the upper Gasket set so I can do all of them new and yeah I was thinking of just taken the headers off..

The car never got to the H so I think I'm good but I'm going to check the head anyways

if you got the time take the front cover off also and ck back of the water pump if cavitating(look like termites goeisn thru the front cover water pump area.

Felpro makes a front cover set,gaskets

olddatsuns.com

The full video yeses :) thanks the one i was watching cuts off thanks bro.

I'm not sure you need to change your timing chain. The chain isn't like the timing belt on a Honduh that will break and ruin your engine. Traditionally a new chain is put in at the time of a complete engine overhaul. I don't know your engine history, so I can't say if you need rings and bearings or not.  You said in an earlier post this engine may have fairly low miles on it, so the bottom end (and timing chain) may be in fine shape. To do ring and bearings, you should pull the whole engine out. That's a lot of work if you don't need to do it. If you've driven it enough to know it is an oil burner, or has poor oil pressure, then it's probably overhaul time. But it may be worth just replacing the head gasket and see how the engine runs. If I were going to rebuild an engine, I'd find an L20b to swap in for more power. If a new head gasket makes your L16 good again, keep running it till it is worn out (which may take years). 

Len

• Like 1

I'm not sure you need to change your timing chain. The chain isn't like the timing belt on a Honduh that will break and ruin your engine. Traditionally a new chain is put in at the time of a complete engine overhaul. I don't know your engine history, so I can't say if you need rings and bearings or not. You said in an earlier post this engine may have fairly low miles on it, so the bottom end (and timing chain) may be in fine shape. To do ring and bearings, you should pull the whole engine out. That's a lot of work if you don't need to do it. If you've driven it enough to know it is an oil burner, or has poor oil pressure, then it's probably overhaul time. But it may be worth just replacing the head gasket and see how the engine runs. If I were going to rebuild an engine, I'd find an L20b to swap in for more power. If a new head gasket makes your L16 good again, keep running it till it is worn out (which may take years).

Len

Yeah my cars doesn't burn oil thank god! Okay will do that then I will just change the head gasket, you guys know best. Some one is selling me a L20 but it don't start and I found that kind of fishy

In your case the leak isn't especially bad since it is just another sign of the bad head gasket. The leak will be fixed with a new gasket, if you do everything right replacing it.

Be sure you understand about wedging the timing chain before removing the bolt through the cam sprocket. If the chain loosens enough to let the chain tightener pop out then you will have to remove the front cover.

You probably know this already but I'll mention it just in case. Datsun head bolts are a 10mm Allen head, not a hex head. So you need a 10mm socket bit to remove and that  fits your torque wrench to tighten them. Also, there are two hex head bolts low on the front of the head that go into the front cover that are easy to overlook.

Len