L16 swap questions

jalen

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposedly a year ago. I bought it off of a guy from craigslist. The head looked good and it the motor turnt. And I haven't messed with the timing chain

You need fuel and spark.

Fuel

look at the front of the carb, there is a glass sight glass, fuel should be visible or look down the carb with the choke held open and pump the gas, you should see a strong squirt of fuel.

Spark

Take a plug wire off and put any spark plug in the end, lay on a grounded surface and crank the motor... any spark???

jalen, I just left your brothers, you have no spark.....your missing your oil pump drive shaft.... that bubbly sound is the open header, Fix the spark issue, MAKE SURE YOU ALIGN IT ALL PROPERLY and it looks like it should fire right up.

• Like 1

Does the oil pump need to be prime when I install it with the shaft? I heard they do and I also heard they don't because they are self priming units.

I also heard they don't because they are self priming units.???? What!

prime it and install it when everything is at TDC.

What I was talking about

As I understand, the L-series uses a self-priming pump, so this step is not strictly required. But it will pre-lube the engine for a smoother startup.

Nice work!

And to prime it don't you need a extra oil pump shaft with the gear off? And then install it turning it clockwise? With a spark plg out into oil comes from the crank?

Yeah something in the ditributor isn't working properly, just ordered new points and condenser. The points were arching and I looked closer, and one had the rubber part off. And now my carb base gasket is leaking on my exhaust manifold. I love working on cars, it keeps my wallet empty

I use the main set of points with is the one with the bigger capicitor next to the block. the 2nd set I unplug the wire from the dizzy. then ck for spark at the center plug wire.

Most time its a small arch when you try to start at the point contacks.

alot of time the points wire gts grounded where the spring is. then no spark.

beware of bushing wear also which makes the dist shaft wobble side to side thus prematurely opeing up the points

point sset to about .020 is good enough

hopefully you got w stock coil and tha ballast resisitor in there wires correctly

Points are gapped at .018. I'm getting a weak spark at the plug now. Have new plugs, newish wires, newish cap and rotor. Points I don't know when they were installed. So like I said I ordered new points hopefully that will take care of the problem. Hopefully

I had to special order them from autozone. Yet finally came and it's only one. Before I pai I aske the lady if it was both I then and she said it was. So now I have to go return this one and get the actual pair.

She runs! Timing was 180 out! Started it with just open header. Heard it run. Shut of off. Then I looked on my driver side of the engine bay and saw coolant everywhere. I automatically assumed the worse, bad head gasket. So went and order a new Hg and exhaust flange gasket. Then I was taking a closer look and realized there was coolant dripping from my thermostat. Went to go see of the bolts wereloose and it was! Put some gasket sealer down and tighten the bolts. That took care of the leak. Went and pulled my oil cap cover, no milkshake color. Now I'm excited! And then pulled a spark spark plug and no milk shake color there. Looks normal. Pretty happy right now, didn't feel like unbolting everything to install a head gasket! Now just need to install my flange gasket. So I can driver her tomorrow

• Like 1

That I fixed the leak, cranked the motor today. Found out that my exhaust manifold bolts aren't tight enough, so that's where the coolant is coming from. Hopefully the gasket isn't destroyed, but we shall see. On the bright side my exhaust is all hooked up.

Gasket should be fine. 

Always run through the bolts for each part a second time to check torque, even if your not using a torque wrench. I've been working on cars for years and still miss one from time to time. 

Still learning to chase my threads every time :lol: