Mike's KAZ23

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the main oil gallery coming from the oil filter. It runs from the front to the back of the block. There is a hole up to the block deck where it enters the head to lubricate the valve train (the oil pressure sender is on this line) and 5 holes down to the crankshaft main bearing webs to lube the main and rod bearings.

Both ends are sealed with expandable plugs at each end. Only way to clean this gallery out is by remove the plugs. A rifle cleaning brush can then be pushed right through to clean. Tapping and screwing in plugs is a good way to seal them up when done. I suppose the next time I tear the engine down these plugs just unscrew for cleaning. (very unlikely)

• Like 2

I still deny I'm going for a turbo. I have something else in mind but we'll see.

I remember using a pressure washer on the block when I got it home from Doug's. Probably lots of water and crap were forced in the oil filter holes so I want that cleaned out.

• 2 weeks later...

Got very little done on this with Canby coming up soon. Managed to use a rifle cleaning brush on the main gallery and flushed everything out with brake cleaner. There was almost nothing in there but now I know. Next will be sealing those plugs into the block.

Mikes%20KAZ23.jpg

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Went to a local 'yard' and there was a KA24E the fire dept practiced on. Asked how much for the head bolts. $30 I said FU new they are, and besides they are torque to yield non reusable. $25. FU I'll give you #10. No deal.I argued with him for 20 min. to waste his asshole time. No they are in the crusher and worth $0.031/2

Got M10 X 110 which are too long but for a milled head with 0.020" gasket is perfect, as washers have to be added anyway. The Black one is an L head bolt used just for matching the thread size. It's 0.35" thick. The plated ones are grade 10 and 0.385" thick. $31 fuck you Powerhouse Autowreckers.

2.3%20head%20bolts%20002.jpg

2.3%20head%20bolts%20001.jpg

• Like 2

^^^ Which is why I rarely bother with wreaking yards here on the Island. That being said RCU in Sooke is very good to deal with. Post on the VI 240SX Facebook page and I'm sure one of the drifters will be able to help you out.

• Like 1

The KA bolts were just to get me by mocking everything up. $30 for used 'torque to yield' is insanely steep in my books. Anyway I have what I need thanks. The funny thing is that sometimes they are crazy the other way... $75 for a 100 amp alternator from a 2002 Altima plus the two rear disc brake calipers.

Did not know about the VI 240sx but then again I don't do f/b.

• Like 1