Mike's KAZ23

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so i take it that an lz23 is like a musical medley of 3 engines (L series, Z22 and ka24?)

yikes i would hate to be the poor mechanic to rebuild that sucker and no one told me what it was first lol.

My truck is already like that, no one could work on it BEFORE i modded it, if they cant work on it stock, now its hopeless :w00t:

From that grocery list you would think that the increased bore displacement being squeezed into a smaller L head would run a huge compression but the piston actually stops 1.55mm below the top of the block. In effect this 89mm bore X 1.55mm space equals 9.637cc of extra combustion chamber. It's like having a huge piston dish.

The above with a open chamber L head....9.7 to one.

Probably a U67 so I can easily run an early L16 4 into two manifold. May hog the combustion chamber slightly to lower the compression even more, like I said haven't worked that out yet but 9.7 is do able. Maybe get it running on this then...

I have a couple of KA24E heads.... better breathing and cross flow. Compression would be in the 7s but easy enough to cure this.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Pump gas, just something I wanted to try for a long time. Forget about it until I succeed.

Well I delivered the Z22 block to the machine shop along with the 89mm pistons.

Did not know he needed the main caps to bolt it down for boring. I know that a torque plate is used to stress the top of the block to simulate the head being bolted down to keep the bore circular. I'm dropping the caps off at a local NAPA which deliver to him all the time. Because he is the closest machine shop they do favors for him. The caps will get there in a day or so.

He'll measure out the KA pistons and bore accordingly. I asked that he mark which piston goes in which hole.

The block was pressure washed but he'll give it a good bath as well.

Main caps ID'd and put in separate baggies and into a box. Delivered to NAPA before 8:00 and they should be there today and in the machine shop tomorrow.... not that there's any rush. Just moving forward.

Have to soon get to work on a head for this. Have some ideas just got to think.

Dismantling the head. Cut notch in old C clamp and used magnet to fish out the retainers

LZ23HeadKA24001Large.jpg

All out and cleaned up.

LZ23HeadKA24002Large.jpg

Got thos big plastic thing for $20. Marked it and cut the bottom off for a tub. Eight inches of hot water and a can of Draino makes a nice wash tub for removing grease and shit.

LZ23HeadKA24004Large.jpg

LZ23HeadKA24003Large.jpg

After20 min.

LZ23HeadKA24005Large.jpg

It was fizzing pretty good so I sure wouldn't leave in there over night. Probably reacts with aluminum

LZ23HeadKA24011Large.jpg

Intake gasket was particularly difficult to get off. Later I'll use a soft wire wheel to polish it clean. The exhaust was chevy red neck Red RTV.

Saw what appeared to be a bluish elastic band caught in one of the water passages.....

LZ23HeadKA24012Large.jpg

If ever there was a reason for mounting water pump and timing covers dry... this is it.  I pulled all this shit out of there. Blue redneck Chevy RTV

LZ23HeadKA24014Large.jpg

Had a spare bolt so I ground away some along the length

LZ23HeadKA24010Large.jpg

Chased all the int. and ex. bolt holes

LZ23HeadKA24008Large.jpg

LZ23HeadKA24009Large.jpg

Intake rocker shaft has one dot and exhaust has two to show direction to front of motor.

LZ23HeadKA24016Large.jpg

Was sure to clean the coked oil in the X groove that oils the rocker arms.

LZ23HeadKA24015Large.jpg

First set of rockers had bluing, from heat I would guess.

LZ23HeadKA24006Large.jpg

And slight galling inside.

LZ23HeadKA24007Large.jpg

Switched to my other rocker set..

Take note the intake side, middle rocker spacer/retainer clip is off set with bolt slightly to the front

LZ23HeadKA24019Large.jpg

Several of these clips were bent up and not really helping to position the rockers properly. I bent them back into place.

• Like 1

Good eye Doug.

The L head on Z block has been done. I have two E heads one without a cam, or I should say the cam I got for it is broken slightly. The other head came with a cam and the second set of rockers I'm using.

Yes indeed a KA24E head on a Z22 block will be interesting. Gotta breath better than any L head made. Smaller lighter valves too. There are some problems to address but I have a plan. Not just any carb will do for this either.

Was thinking...
CanbyandtriptoDougs053Large.jpg

With tuned length velocity stacks.

• Like 3