Lurker coming out of the woodwork

Henry III

Well it's been quite a few years since I've had a Datsun. Was probably a good ten years ago when I last had my 280Z. I went the family route and got things with some more seats. Well I've gone through some cars since then but with moving from Wisconsin to Southern Oregon. With the nicer weather and more older imports that don't look like swiss cheese. 

So on one of my days off and went out to lunch with my wife and youngest. It was sitting in the parking lot of with a price tag of just $600. Sat there filling my face with some bad buffet food and my wife told me just to buy the darn thing and live a little. So afterwards I went back called the guy up and the next day it was sitting in my driveway. I listed up my trusty Audi A4 wagon family truckster which sold right away. It was a little sad to see it go as it never let me down but it was starting to have some electrical issues I didn't want to deal with. But going from a AWD turbo'd, wagon with heated leather seats, ice cold a/c for a 1970 521 that's pretty rough around the edges, sides, top, bottom and everywhere else in between and needed a lot of love for my daily driver is pretty big change. 

But I'm happy though I have a small issue with the carb I'm still trying to figure out and a rattle that I'm sure is one of the U joints. After dropping some fun money on it to ditch the mismatched wheels and nasty seats and some other things. She's coming along nicely from how she was when I first got her. I'm still waiting on a few last items from Thailand. 

I desperately need to pick up some blocks for the rear and reindex the front after installing the new wheel/tire setup. I've lowered all my cars myself but this indexing stuff is new to me so it'll be a learning experience to say the least. Also have a car with a carb is new as I've had older imports but everything was fuel injected. It's funny how simple things seem to be more complicated. lol. 

I've always loved older imports and keeping them more period correct but living in the midwest there wasn't as much around compared to the west coast in decent condition. Here's my last two older imports I built up a few years ago.  

41757ae0.jpg

doggahs242.jpg

Now the 521 as it sits now. I painted the bed and interior with Herculiner. Unfortunately I ran out of paint on the passenger door and A pillars. Go figure but what are you gonna do? lol. I still need to pick up some floor mats and recover the door panels and hook up my gauges and the interior is pretty much done. Maybe install some LED's into the cluster so I can actually see it at night. The wheels I picked up from Summit and the Falken Ziex tires from Discount Tire. I was going to go with the Taiwan Brides Low Max buckets on Ebay but went with the Faux Recaro SRD seats instead so my young ones can still ride with me in a booster seat. The later nasty looking steering wheel is getting ditch once my Momo Monte Carlo arrives. 

DSCN9972.jpg

DSCN9973.jpg

DSCN9976.jpg

DSCN9977.jpg

DSCN9978.jpg

DSCN9979.jpg

From lurking around I see there's quite a few members here from S. Oregon and the PNW in general. Hope to meet some more folks soon! So much eye candy and knowledge on this site and glad to be a part of it. 

Henry

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't the '69 the last year with the round side markers?

Is the build date between July and Sept '69 by any chance??? Was there a driver's door jam plate.

Yep...it was.  It is probably a late '69 since the doors already have the stamping for the lock button which didn't actually make it to the 521 until mid '70.  Early '69's didn't have the stamping.....door was flat like the 520.

Nice 521......welcome :)

It's stamped 69 on the MFG date but titled as a 70. The carb is still baffling me. Sometimes it runs fine and other times it doesn't want to rev past a grand and is acting like it's not getting enough fuel. It's got a newer fuel pump and the filter doesn't look that filled up with junk. Does the fuel level in the filter normally just cover the very bottom of the filter itself and not partially submerge it? I can still see fuel coming out of the filter but sometimes it looks like it's not coming out all the time. The tank is completely topped off as at first I tapped on the tank and seemed to be empty. 

It'll rev fine and drive fine and not doing anything funny. I drove it to the gas station filled up, and was leaving and it started acting funny not wanting to go above 1000 rpms. I gave it a second to sit and it idled fine with no hiccuping. Then I tried it again and it was fine and drove home. Makes me not want to mess with the stock carb and pick up a Weber instead. So we'll see. The only engine related stuff I did to it was replace the dual point dizzy for a 510 single point and then installed a electronic pick up. This is my daily driver and didn't want to mess with points every couple of thousand miles. I'm not sure the last time or if the timing belt was ever replaced and the timing idicator tab was bent so it's was just setup listening to it. It's at full advanced and was like that with the stock dual point dizzy.

I dunno...we'll see. Thanks for the warm welcome folks!