79 620 Engine identification

cardkey98

I found a truck in a farmers field and went to talk to him about what he wanted to sell it for. He told me that he parked the truck there in 2000 and its been sitting there ever since. He also said when he parked it that it was burning oil like mad and he would be grateful if i just took the truck off his property. So i took it home and after unloading it i put a battery in it spayed carburetor cleaner into it and gave it a crank and BOOM it fired (You got to hand it to the Japanese when it comes to build quality). The truck burns oil real bad. I pulled the motor to rebuild it but there is just so many signs that this may not the original motor

I am hoping to get some help identifying the motor before i purchase the rebuid kit. The truck is a 1979 Datsun 620 king cab The block has U95, 89152, and M2 stamped on the block. The head has an w53 stamp on it. The plate on the fender says l20b. It has an aftermarket 2.5-4psi electric fuel pump and a plate where a mechanical one should be. Also is that the correct fuel pressure. 

I would appreciate any and all advice

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You noted almost everything EXCEPT the ID numbers.

L16-2.JPG

See the 2 rectangular rusty spots behind the dipstick?  The engine model and serial number will be engraved or stamped there.

W53 head is a L16/L18 head, but that doesn't mean the block is.  I have a W53 on an L20B, but that's because I put it there.

Actually, now that I think of it the W53 does mean you'll need a gasket set for a 75-77 L20B.  The exhaust manifold gasket will be different than the original, due to port shapes.  The stock W58 head had round ports, the W53 should be square (but weird round W53s, which I think were welded up squareports, exist).

• 10 years later...

Yes the Z22 dipstick is on the left side.

The chassis number and the engine block numbers aren't the same.

The 720 truck Z22s had carburetors, the S110 200sx had EFI. I would assume that this is a 720 engine if ordering parts.

It's a Z22 block with an earlier L series head on it. Making it a hybrid combination. The head ID is cast into the bottom of the head between the first and second spark plug. Probably a U67, maybe a W58 or an A87.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, nessa357 said:

Thank u

To clarify, it was not a factory setup. The L head has been installed on a Z motor, so when ordering certain parts, it's crucial to know what is what.

Ordering parts for the bottom end - Z22 out of a 720. Aside from the front cover and possibly the entire accessory drive system, which could be from just about any L or Z, depending.

Ordering parts for the head, carb, exhaust, it can be different based on round or rectangular exhaust ports, what intake and carb, linkage style, etc.