L 18 Cracked Block

dotdat

I bought a 1974 - 620 that had Coolant in the oil. Today I removed the head and found bad news. The rear head bolt #2 that is next to Cyl. #4 was rusty around the threads. It is next to the water jacket and I would guess that the block was cracked and allowed the coolant to leak into the head bolt thread.

Looks like I'm screwed. Don't know what to do. I assume that there is no fix on a cracked block. It's a nice rust free little truck. But doubt if I can find an L18 motor around here. ( So. Dakota )

Your comments appreciated.

phpgtgNU0PM_zps128f1834.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or, it simply blew the gasket and got coolant all over the threads and in the oil.  It might not be cracked, just a really warped head.

But, another block, or even an L20B (so long as you get the flywheel with it) is pretty much a drop in.  Might have to spend on shipping, but they're out there. 

Like others have said, it's very unlikely the block is cracked on an L-series engine. Unless it's an L6 and the block skirt is missing around cylinder #5...

Then you know they still drove it till it pumped all the oil out of the crank case. Probably made it all the way back to the pits, too!

Getting old and eyes not good. Another closer exam made. Looks like the PO had replaced the head gasket and did a poor cleanup job. Head is not warped but close exam looks like a leak around the H G near cyl. #4 . Will go ahead and replace it.

What do you guys think about some copper stuff sealer to seal the gasket? I know Datsenmike is against this, but have read posts by others saying it's OK.

Thanks much.

I use Permatex Coppercote on both sides and let get tacky and install head. This was a nissan gasket.

last one I did was a Felpro HG and I just put it on and seems fine also.

You will find that Margarine tubs are the "right" diameter to drop on top of the pistons when you spray the Copper Cote.