my new dd and parts request for it.

love_my_gt

My current dd is a 94 Ford Explorer 4x4 with 335+k mi on it. It had no a/c and two broken Windows. .. this is like driving a convection oven to and from work when the temps and humidity are so high. This combined with its wonderful 9-13 mpg is killer. So I'm buying a 75 620 with a l20b and 4 speed for a dd. It's got an under dash a/c unit, but is missing the compressor and bracket. Anyone have these?

3M93Jc3N25I35E55M1d6174b758ac1e49134f-1.

3Gd3K23Hf5Fa5H75J7d61c484ffdd94121c4c.jp

3Fb3Nb3Hc5N85L25F4d618fc19ec601db12c2.jp

I know these pics suck, but they're the pics from the Craigslist ad.

• Like 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my confusion... I did not see the a/c compressor (or a place for it) on the drivers side of the engine, but from my understanding if it was on the passengers side, since this is a 75 model truck, it would have been where I currently see the fuel pump sitting. right?  you can see in the pictures there is a dryer on the passengers inner fender well.

IMG_20130605_131802.jpg

IMG_20130605_131757.jpg

IMG_20130605_103043.jpg

They were driver's side, usually with a square compressor, through '74.  There was no such thing as FACTORY air until '76, but dealer add-on A/C was always available (I've seen ones as late as 79 with add-on A/C, far more common than factory A/C, but not common overall).

The only reason they switched to the passenger side was because the smog pump, which was used on all 75+ 620s, used all the space the A/C compressor needed on that side due to the steering box being so close.  L20B equipped CARS had both the A/C and smog pump on the drivers side, because the steering box wasn't in the way. 

You're going to need a lot more than just the compressor.  The Reciever/Drier isn't going to be any good anymore and I wouldn't trust those hoses.  If you still have the condenser that's good, otherwise you'll need that too.  The evaporator and blower is about all you have left that's usable (both are part of the underdash unit, which is likely still usable).

So will u convert it to r134?

I am hoping to add air to my truck this year and interested.

Found an Eaton underdash in an old Mercedes at the junkyard, but didn't see what kind of comp., condenser was a little fubar'd

My L16 had a bracket with idler attached when I got it, that's all.  :crying:

'73 620

Actually, some compressors are.  Different refrigerants need different oils, and those oils don't interact well.  Typically if the compressor is NEW or newly reconditioned you can use either, but you can't MIX, and it's not a good idea to use r134a in a system that used r12 in the past, because you can never get all the old oil out.

r12 is damn near impossible to get anymore.  It's not 100% impossible, just very expensive.  r134a is getting that way.

• Like 1

If you are going to run a sanden type compressor(Yorks are garbage)It will not clear the manifold or if it does,it'll be so close that exhaust heat will bake it.

sorry but you have no idea what your talking about granted my set up removes the smog pump entirely even if you piggy back it like the dealer installed option your getting further away from the exhaust 

1E4652D0-orig_zpsf8cea862.jpg

as for r12 it can be found but its spendy granted the system doesnt hold much so if you can stay r12 do it it works alot better thats what mine is running 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

After working on the truck a bit this weekend I found the answers to a few questions. I also found a few things that were interesting. It appears that at some point in its life this truck has had the engine replaced. This explains why the engine is missing the a/c bits, the electric fuel pump, etc. I also found out this truck at one point in its life had a propane setup in it. It's still got the meter from it mounted on the passengers inner fender well.

I dig the truck, but I'm going to cover the current character of the little fella. I'm going to paint it and put some different rims on it. here are the rims I'm going to use. I have taken the 33/12.50/15s off them and i'll be going with some 235/50/15s.

. 3I33Nb3Ha5E55M95Jbd5i4d466e1fff501898.jp