4x4 front and rear end.

bonepuzzle

i know there are a few of you out there 4x4ing with your datsun.

ive recently purchased my first datsun and my first 4x4 - '73 620.  (had a prerunner RIP).

looks like the 4x4 was a dealer installation... but as it is now, it isnt in working condition.

basically the front and rear end dont match up -______-

front end: dana 27

rear end: stock

what should i do?

should i stick with the 27's and find another one/something with the same gearing for the rear end?

or should i get something completely different?

what do you all have?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are going about the matching thing oddly.

If the gear ratios in the axles are the same, what you have should work fine. Do you know the ratios?

Edit: Have you put it in 4 wheel drive? Why do you state that it is not working? Front driveshaft not spinning?

the gearing isnt matched up. 

front end is off a cj5  maybe it was done for looks, probably an unfinished project.  

i have not taken anything apart yet to find out what the gear ratios are.

that will be for the weekend.

It's rare for factory 4X4 front and rear axles to be the same model. The rear will usually have a larger ring & pinion. As long as the gear ratios are the same or close you are good to go. You shouldn't be putting it in 4WD on pavement anyway.

Generally they used a Dana 30 for the front, using the stock Jeep ratio of 4.10.  The stock Datsun rear was 4.375. 

There are no Dana 4.375 ratios, and no Datsun 4.10 ratios.  However, there ARE Datsun 4.11 ratios, which is really close. 

For a better match, there are Datsun 4.88 and Dana 30 4.88s.  If it's a Dana 27, I don't know what ratios are available.

But, mine has the original 4.10 front / 4.375 rear, and offroad or on snow it's fine. 

• Like 1

4:11 & 4:375 are close to the 2% tolerance.

Dang it q-tip, that question was a ringer :P

You should be able to get any standard ratio for the Dana 27 brand new through Randys Ring and Pinion if they are still supported. Otherwise you will have to find a used set of gears.  

A lot of guys use a Toyota axle or a Jeep Wagoneer axle in the front. I just finished putting a Wagoneer Dana 44 in mine.

took some photos underneath the truck.

ill have better pictures once its on stands.

right now front breaks are drum.  will be converted to disc breaks.

got the truck from a member. he got the truck from who knows.

but he was the one who informed me the gears didnt match up. ill find out what the gear ratios are and report back.

starting from the front.

jxhwTfS.jpg

o5q8md6.jpg

IXDUUm5.jpg

cVGWJTm.jpg

5QvjMOO.jpg

OFoAVOT.jpg

6CLkLxD.jpg

2IBdxpF.jpg

photos to the rescue.

That's a Dana 30 front. 

Look like someone put an earlier rear diff in there so it likely has 4:88's.

The front is probably 4:10. Will work ok offroad, but don't drive it in 4x4 on the street. Mine was like that and I blew the front diff, it did take a long time street driving in 4x4 (winter time and someone locked my hubs while it was parked in the street)

You can upgrade to disc brakes and put 4:88 in the front to match the rear fairly easily. Find a CJ with disc brakes or use a CJ disc brake kit. This guy has a kit for $500 http://www.the-jeep-guy.com/brakes.htm

The transfer case is a divorced Dana 20, same unit used in a CJ5. 

i know there are a few of you out there 4x4ing with your datsun.

ive recently purchased my first datsun and my first 4x4 - '73 620. (had a prerunner RIP).

looks like the 4x4 was a dealer installation... but as it is now, it isnt in working condition.

basically the front and rear end dont match up -______-

front end: dana 27

rear end: stock

what should i do?

should i stick with the 27's and find another one/something with the same gearing for the rear end?

or should i get something completely different?

what do you all have?

My '78 620 4X4 I recently picked up has a Dana 30 front W/ 4.27's and stock Datsun rear with a strange 4.65? ratio. It binds up badly in 4 wheel drive.

My plans for the axles are to swap the Datsun axle for 79-85 Toyota 4X4 and use 4.88 gears and Eaton TruTrac diffs front and rear.

I was planning on re-gearing the Datsun axle with 4.88 gears, but with no lockers available, I went the Toyota route to keep everything 6 lug, and I can get matching 4.88 gears for the Dana 30 so the front and rear ratios will match, plus toyota diffs are fairly early easy to come by and there are tons of parts available for toyotas.

IMG_0775_zps762aa53a.jpg

• Like 1

Early axle, nice, so that should match up fairly well with the Dana 30 then. I'm on the lookout for a later one for the rear of mine to match up with the Dana 44 I used.

Your truck looks great, dig the new tires. I just got a set of those myself.

IMG_6721_zpsd893bad6.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks. It's a bit of a diamond on the rough right now. Yours looks great too. :thumbup:  

The Goodyears were actually my second choice of tires. The ones I really wanted were the Interco SSR radials in a 29X11.5R15. But, at the time I was looking for tires, intreco was in a merger with someone else and was no longer producing them :( I like the short, wide and aggressive look in off road tires and... I must say, it looks friggin' awesome when you get out in the mud, and get it slinging 10' in the air off the front tires!!! At least until a bug chunk comes down on your windshield that has a rock in it :unsure:

The unplanned added height of tire required cutting and pushing the footwells 3" back onto the cab for clearance. I didn't really want to raise the truck anymore than needed. I'm kinda building it more for ripping down logging roads and such, rather than rock crawling. Some day I plan to section the front fenders horizontally (like from the marker light across and down) then cut that bit in the center above the tire and add a 6" or more to the center to over the tire to widen just the fender well portion of the fender, trimming the ends at the door and the front section.

My wife altered the fenders on a 620 4X4 in photoshop and it looked bitchen' Keeps the original lines of the fender and hardly even noticeable, unlike the big notch cut in mine.

Had any encounters with the po-po about that much tire sticking out?

I'm really surprised I haven't been stopped yet with no rear bumper or mud flaps.

Thanks. It's a bit of a diamond on the rough right now. Yours looks great too. :thumbup:  

The Goodyears were actually my second choice of tires. The ones I really wanted were the Interco SSR radials in a 29X11.5R15. But, at the time I was looking for tires, intreco was in a merger with someone else and was no longer producing them :( I like the short, wide and aggressive look in off road tires and... I must say, it looks friggin' awesome when you get out in the mud, and get it slinging 10' in the air off the front tires!!! At least until a bug chunk comes down on your windshield that has a rock in it :unsure:

The unplanned added height of tire required cutting and pushing the footwells 3" back onto the cab for clearance. I didn't really want to raise the truck anymore than needed. I'm kinda building it more for ripping down logging roads and such, rather than rock crawling. Some day I plan to section the front fenders horizontally (like from the marker light across and down) then cut that bit in the center above the tire and add a 6" or more to the center to over the tire to widen just the fender well portion of the fender, trimming the ends at the door and the front section.

My wife altered the fenders on a 620 4X4 in photoshop and it looked bitchen' Keeps the original lines of the fender and hardly even noticeable, unlike the big notch cut in mine.

Had any encounters with the po-po about that much tire sticking out?

I'm really surprised I haven't been stopped yet with no rear bumper or mud flaps.

I was planning to pull the arches out and section them like you mentioned. Still not sure how that will work out yet.

One of the reasons I went with the shackles in the front was to keep the tires out of the cab on compression. it will probably get a little lower as I need to pull a couple leaves from the front pack and adjust a few things here and there.

No hall monitor problems yet, but I sorta have mudflaps and that will keep them off your back for the most part. Need to finish up my front bumper though.

I was planning to pull the arches out and section them like you mentioned. Still not sure how that will work out yet.

One of the reasons I went with the shackles in the front was to keep the tires out of the cab on compression. it will probably get a little lower as I need to pull a couple leaves from the front pack and adjust a few things here and there.

No hall monitor problems yet, but I sorta have mudflaps and that will keep them off your back for the most part. Need to finish up my front bumper though.

It would be an awful lot of welding...

My shackles are in front too. It was while turning that I was getting the rubbing. My front suspension doesn't really move much either and is quite the bone jarring ride. That will all change when I get the 4 links finished… I did finally get my exhaust relocated and rebuilt engine installed so now I can weld in the upper rear 4 link bar mount. The lower brackets are all welded in and can be seen in previous photo..(if anyone wondering what those are for?)  My old wrecking yard motor was getting ready to go and I'm kinda glad about it. Getting blown away by a Prius was not acceptable… lol

Happy about the extra power it has now.

IMG_0884_zps1d2531f4.jpg[/url]

L20b W/.30 over L18 pistons, Ported peanut head, Isky 270 Cam, 32/36, Custom tri-Y Header.

• Like 1