4x4 front and rear end.

bonepuzzle

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i know there are a few of you out there 4x4ing with your datsun.

ive recently purchased my first datsun and my first 4x4 - '73 620.  (had a prerunner RIP).

looks like the 4x4 was a dealer installation... but as it is now, it isnt in working condition.

basically the front and rear end dont match up -______-

front end: dana 27

rear end: stock

what should i do?

should i stick with the 27's and find another one/something with the same gearing for the rear end?

or should i get something completely different?

what do you all have?

Sorry Bonepuzzle… Didn't mean to hijack your thread. I just love seeing the 4X4 620's. 

From what I've seen everyones truck is a bit different. The most common is the Dana 30 front and Datsun rear but I have yet to see two that are alike. I believe it was Low Manufacturing that made kits for fitting Datsun brakes to the jeep axles, as far as fitting the transfer case, I think they left that mostly up to the installer. The most important thing on axles is be sure you have, or can at least get, matching ratios front and rear or you can forget about using 4 wheel drive in the snow. My truck was nearly impossible to drive and fishtailed all over the place with the mismatched ratios I currently have. 

You'll also want Disk brakes. The Datsun drums will seriously suffer with the additional weight.

My #1 concern with my truck was the terrible steering ratio, turning circle and the fact that the stock Datsun steering boxes were never designed for off-roading, 4 wheel drive, and oversized tires. The power steering box from 05 Jeep grand cherokee was one of my first mods, and makes it so much more pleasant and safer to drive..

IMG_0167_zps9ef0899e.jpg[/url]

IMG_0798_zpsd6786676.jpg[/url]

4 Link? Excellent. Running a panhard or are you going to full hydraulic steering? Have you started a build thread yet?

Motor looks good. :)

Thanks.

Panhard bar. The above pict shows the crossmember I need to finish welding that has the mounting point for it.

No Build thread yet. I just joined about a month or so ago and haven't been too good on taking photos along the way. Once I start mounting the 4 link I'll get one going.

Is full hydraulic street legal?

Photo of my 12" Fox coil over shocks without springs

IMG_0109_zps136f36c8.jpg[/url]

4 Link? Excellent. Running a panhard or are you going to full hydraulic steering? Have you started a build thread yet?

Motor looks good. :)

Here's a candidate for full hydraulic… Picked this up about 6 months ago for a parts truck...

IMG_0895_zps61136810.jpg[/url]

I'm thinking supercharged 5.0, Full on roll cage W/ radiator mounted in back, and just use fiberglass splashes of the stock bed… Hmmm….

Not sure on the legalities but if you have a panhard you can use standard crossover steering like you have on the truck.

Nice install of the Jeep box. :thumbup:

That parts truck and your plans for it would be awesome.  Does that thing have the paint code on the core support? Looks to be the same green as mine and I've been looking for that code to no avail.

Not sure on the legalities but if you have a panhard you can use standard crossover steering like you have on the truck.

Nice install of the Jeep box. :thumbup:

That parts truck and your plans for it would be awesome.  Does that thing have the paint code on the core support? Looks to be the same green as mine and I've been looking for that code to no avail.

Thanks. it was a bit of trouble trying to figure out how to get the Fiero steering column I used to fit to the Jeep box, but it all worked out well in the end. Once I install my new dash and wiring I'll be able to use the Pulse wiper switch on the column with the late model GMC Jimmy wiper motor I modified. Not sure what I'm going to do with the old wiper switch on the dash though?

The paint code number is pretty faded, but looks to be 616. Too bad someone painted the light green house paint over it. I really like that green too

Excellent. Doesn't look exactly right but it's probably my monitor. Time to visit Wesco :)

Thanks. it was a bit of trouble trying to figure out how to get the Fiero steering column I used to fit to the Jeep box, but it all worked out well in the end. Once I install my new dash and wiring I'll be able to use the Pulse wiper switch on the column with the late model GMC Jimmy wiper motor I modified. Not sure what I'm going to do with the old wiper switch on the dash though?

The paint code number is pretty faded, but looks to be 616. Too bad someone painted the light green house paint over it. I really like that green too

You could always put another lighter there for extra power.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

needed to identify the gearing in the front end of my truck.

tried scrubbing the shit out of the dana 27... any numbers that were once there, are illegible.

so i decided to take it apart instead.

easy enough!!

4.27 gearing.

now i am on the look out for a dana 44  (4.27:1)

w515uYc.jpg

SNJ32Vd.jpg

pXoE96f.jpg

UIMorp7.jpg

4.27 is a bit high, especially if you plan on running tall tires.

What's your rear end ratio? And are you happy with it?

My truck has the stock Datsun rear with 4.625 ratio. 32" tires are pretty much max with a L20b engine…  In order to have some acceleration in 1st, and a useable 5th gear I had to hop my engine up, the stock engine couldn't pull it, even the slightest hill... I'll be going 4.88's front and rear to make the gearing better eventually...

A easy way to get a idea of your gearing with a open type differential if your by yourself is to jack up ONE rear tire, mark it, and the driveline, then count how many revolutions of the driveline it takes to make TWO full turns of the jacked up wheel. That will give you a good idea what it is. Looks to me like the earlier diff. I had a 73 aluminum diff and it was casted identical to the cast iron '74-on diffs that replaced it.