Lightest wheels without breaking the bank?

I am putting together my 510 and have run into the issue of wheels. I have a set of 13x7 libres but they are too wide to fit under the fenders. I want to run 15x7s with probably about 25mm offset. Now I'm looking for the lightest wheels possible. I can't afford to spend 3 grand on some magnesium wheels unless someone has a source for much cheaper. Every pound counts, especially in the wheels and tires. I like the ROTA grid classic but have no clue if it comes in the right size and bolt pattern. Any suggestions?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The RPF1s are 4x100 so they are out. Called Togue factory and they recommended Work CR01. They look perfect plus they are only 13-14 pounds which isnt that bad. plus they come in a lot of sizes and offsets.

nHAvRpt.jpg

if you're looking at a $1,800 set of Work's ..... plus shipping from Japan of course

you'd better find the "perfect offsets" ... after all your suspension mods are done (i.e. front Struts, set camber front and rear, tire sizes/strech)

Actually its 1675 shipped from Togue Factory

rota grid classics should work with most 510 suspension set ups

15x7 +20 is what rota lists as having

any thing in 7 inch between 20 and 25 offset should be doable, might need a spacer. If the grids are anything like the RBs they'll be 13-14 pounds. and I think they're about as cheap as you can get, like $150 apiece tops... (for the RBs i may be way off for the grids)

No I have a l20b with mikuni carbs but still every pound makes a difference in the feel of the car. Especially in the wheels since the amount of power isn't that high

This ----> http://kmhafer.datsun510.com/wheelchart.htm says that the swastika's are only 14 lbs?  Maybe worth a try?  Wouldn't have to worry about fitment.

On another note, your original post mentioned that you want 15" light wheels, but it would appear that smaller wheels also get lighter as they decrease in size.  For instance, the 14" ZX 6-spoke wheels weigh in at 13 lbs. and the 13" Panasports can weigh in at as little as 9.2 lbs. (race only).  So, do you want light wheels, or do you want 15" wheels?  Another thought is that rotating mass is different than another part on the car.  With wheels, a chunk of mass right on the hub will be "lighter" than the same chunk of mass clear out on the rim somewhere.  Two wheels of the same weight may accelerate differently depending on how the weight is distributed.  That said, 13" wheels will spin up faster, even if they are the same weight as 15" wheels because the weight is closer to the hub.  Of course tires are going to make a difference too.

I have 13 inch libres but they are zero offset so they are too wide plus I think 13s look rather small. I think something a little bit bigger will do quite nicely. I might go with the 16inch rpf1s since they are only about 9 pounds. The problem is that they are a high offset wheel. But I thought this could turn into a pretty comprehensive list of good light wheels that can be found for let's say under a grand.